Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Most favored coil for Explorer ?

K.B.

Recently I compared coils using my Explorer SE, (Coils used were SunRay X-5, SunRay X-8, Detech 10x5" WSS SEF) in a forest with colonial period relics. The Detech was most stable in manual sensitivity. The X-5 next. The X-8, (pre-owned) sounded off when slightly bumped, regardless of sensitivity level. The hot rocks here can get annoying, hitting steady 2 clicks below silver quarter. My etrac handles Hot rocks no problem. List your favored coil for your Explorer. I swing my Detech 10X5" WSS SEF the most.

Recently I compared coils using my Explorer SE, (Coils used were SunRay X-5, SunRay X-8, Detech 10x5" WSS SEF) in a forest with colonial period relics. The Detech was most stable in manual sensitivity. The X-5 next. The X-8, (pre-owned) sounded off when slightly bumped, regardless of sensitivity level. The hot rocks here can get annoying, hitting steady 2 clicks below silver quarter. My etrac handles Hot rocks no problem. List your favored coil for your Explorer. I swing my Detech 10X5" WSS SEF the most.
I like the Detect 8x6.

WOW.. I had to think back on this for a bit. I had used the x-8, the WOT "12", the original 10.5 that came on the unit, then there was a little 4x6 i think they called the football. ( don't remember who made it ) and finally a NEL sharpshooter.

The WOT 12" I didn't like period ! The sunray x-8 worked fine. The little "football coil" was pretty damn good for tot lots and working close to slides and swings, plus the depth was impressive for this small of a coil.. But overall the coil that was used the most was the NEL sharpshooter. Lighter than the 10.5 and every bit as deep. Was so impressed with it I bought one for the fisher f-44 and works great !!

Cheers. Mark ( ohio )

If the X-8 is acting silly it probably has an issue, they’re normally very easy to turn up, at least around here. WHAT you are hunting and WHERE you are hunting will dictate what coil you should use. I ADORE the X-8, but have not used the Detech 8x6….yet. Because of what I’m looking for and where I normally do it, the Ultimate 13” coil has been THE coil for MY purposes. I wouldn’t use that in a tot lot or other tight area, but this is where, unless you do a certain thing ALL the time, it’s a good idea to have different coils. I actually like the original 10.5 and being an odd duck, I also like the Slimline. If only they would’ve mounted the attachment point differently, I’d use them more. But they didn’t, so I don’t. If the coil in question doesn’t have some kind of fault, they all work pretty damn well, IMO.👍