Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Motion disc vs AM mode

murfar1

Other than increased depth, what is the advantage of using AM mode/manual GB when it comes to gold? I've found that when using motion disc with disc set at default I can pick up gold (test piece on the surface) and still have the advantage of not getting any iron hits. Seems it would save a lot of needless digging. Even though Garrett recommends AM as do many users on this forum, I seem to be missing something.

No rules on how you use it, just personal preference, i do both most of the time with both of my Scorps, just whatever works for you or you feel comfy with:thumbup::garrett::thumbup:

"Ground balance" is the key terminology here.:) If a good and proper ground balance is not maintained while nugget hunting, alot of good targets will be missed. If you tried nugget hunting in Disc Mode in highly mineralized ground (as is typically encountered while nugget hunting/gold country) you'd be gettin' alot of falsing and erratic behavior from the detector.

Rule number one while nugget hunting=NO DISCRIMINATION.
No matter what metal detector that you are using, even those that have an iron discrinmation circuitry while ground balanced/ground tracking, highly mineralized ground, such as that encountered in gold country can cause tiny nuggets to appear as iron/low coductor target. Also, iron junk/trash targets can settle into bedrock cracks that gold had already settled into.

Hope this helps:biggrin:Happy Hunting!:)

Thanks Metalhead. That seems to make sense. :thumbup:

Golly Bugar, what ya doin with two a them things? One in each hand?:surprised: I had gotten the Scorp late last year but only used for about a month--not many hours. Just starting to get back into it now doing some "spearminting" etc....Was out today practicing some GB and finally got it to working, I think but was mostly coin shooting in motion disc with disc set to about 5.5 rather than the default 6.5....Picked up gobs and gobs of trash but picked up a goodly number of coins also, some of which I'm sure I would have missed otherwise.

Yep got 2 of em, one with the 3 x 7 coil and one with the 7 x 10, or whatever the size is, the dealer made me a deal I couldn' refuse, sure is handy don't switch coils just switch detectors, and needless to say I LIKE THEM,, just, what I like for my kind of detecting, to GET IT ALL, cause when I leave a spot I figure there ain't nothin left for nobody=I'm greedy=:garrett:

I truly understand what you are saying. Just the last place i dug I played with manual ground balance allot. No disc. I hit every bit of small iron. Small iron the size of BB's. So if there is a nugget or little gold i will hit it. It did get frustrating though operating the manual ground balance. I look at frustration as I NEED MORE EXPERIENCE. Once I get that than I will be seeing yellow.