Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mr Bill's IDX mods?

websterz

I read his post telling how he did the mods but it could have been a little bit more clearly stated. Does anyone have part numbers for the components so I know I am getting the right ones? A schematic would also be helpful. I am well schooled with a soldering iron and would like to upgrade my IDX. Anyone?

The post I saw gave all the values needed. You have to spend the time looking up the parts.

Rob (IL) said:
The post I saw gave all the values needed. You have to spend the time looking up the parts.
Well, I would hope that someone who had successfully completed the mods would be willing to help out someone who is wanting to enjoy the same success. There are a hundred different places to get the parts and probably as many variations OF those parts. Knowing what combination makes for a successful modification would save a lot of guesswork. If I had that info I would gladly share it with a fellow detectorist. Maybe we're just simple and naive here in Oklahoma.

Doesn't get any clearer than this!!

[bWhites Classic, II, III, ID, and IDX Modifications
Seeing that I have got out of the metal detecting busness. I thought I would pass this on to you all.

Be very carefull unsoldering the componets. Distroying the circuit traces is very easy to do.

Remove VR1 Trimmer off the board. Replace with a 50k linear taper, single turn potentiometer.

Remove VR4 trimmer off the board replacing it with a 100k linear taper, single turn potentiometer.

Mount these potentiometer

Keep in mind that soldiering is the easy part!
De Soldiering is another matter as the IDX pro board components are soldiered top to bottom..
be careful not to burn up the circuit board traces trying to de soldier the old componets..
It would he best to have a vacuum de soldiering gun, cut the resisters you are replacing off with a pair of cutters
and using the vacuum gun on both sides of the circuit board to remove enough soldier to
be able to get the rest of the resister pins out of the board...

There are some helpfull pictures and a schematic on the Geotech Forum. Look in the IDX (Mr. Bills) modifications section posts #17-18 and 83. I used parts from Mouser 50K Pot. #31VF405-F, 100K Pot. #31CR501-F. I had a suitable SAT switch, but it needs to be a SPDT ON-ON type such as #611-1701-001. Use 1/4 watt resistors, all their values can easily be found in the catalog. Great care must be exercised in removing the existing components. Not having a Vac. device I used de-solder braid from Radio Shack with some flux applied, then flux remover. This is a "plated thru" board. The factory applied solder may have penetrated to the other side, even on components like the trim pots where it can't be seen. I had some stranded hook-up wire in my junk box. It has to be quite small about 26G, I think, to fit the board holes. You can use ribbon cable, as Mr Bill did , if you have any. This job will require some electronic and mechanical aptitude. Good luck.

With all due respect, I would suggest that you do not attempt to do this modification yourself. It requires a minimal level of electronics knowledge, and working with circuit boards. Just knowing how to solder won't cut it. The soldering alone could destroy your board if done improperly. Locate someone experienced in circuit repair, and have them do it for you. You will be far ahead of the game that way.

As far as schematics, they have been posted on various boards for years. Just do a search on the internet.

Mr. Bill