Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Multi infibo and deep iron

jerry123

I was out today with my multi anfibio and was digging deep iron targets that were registering as silver High tone targets. I played with the settings all the different frequencies just about anything you can think of and the results were the same digging iron nails and small bits of iron all day long. Does anybody have a setup that will deal with this issue?

Any help would be appreciated

I am no expert with the Multi, but I can give a few tips. First, the four and five tone modes are deeper than the three tone mode, but I just can't seem to be able to use these modes in the places I hunt. With that said, I use the three tone mode 90% of the time. As most know, in three tone, 90 is the magic number. Above deeper, below faster, but not as deep. I have dug some incredibly deep coins with some so deep there are no numbers. 9 inches seems to be where the numbers stop, but tones remain. If you are getting numbers, the numbers on a coin will not vary by more than five numbers. Iron will bounce and not lock. A small rusty screw will sometimes lock, but this happens with most detectors.

As a coin hunter, I use 5khz frequency. Today, I dug a 9 inch deep mercury dime and an 8 inch deep silver quarter. Both found with 5khz and 91 sens. I run my disc a 3 with no notches. I always check my immediate surroundings when I dig a nice coin and today's finds had two and three junk targets within 4 to 5 inches.

My advice would be stay in three tone. Four and five tone modes seem to "light up" bitty pieces of rust. It is just way too chatty for me. The Anfibio Multi is just an insanely deep detector. While I don't dig loads of rusty iron, I find it hard to dig 9 to 10 inch deep plugs with a Lesche digger. I have a small shovel, but the places I hunt are manicured grass and just the sight of any kind of shovel will get me the boot. Good luck!

I am no expert with the Multi, but I can give a few tips. First, the four and five tone modes are deeper than the three tone mode, but I just can't seem to be able to use these modes in the places I hunt. With that said, I use the three tone mode 90% of the time. As most know, in three tone, 90 is the magic number. Above deeper, below faster, but not as deep. I have dug some incredibly deep coins with some so deep there are no numbers. 9 inches seems to be where the numbers stop, but tones remain. If you are getting numbers, the numbers on a coin will not vary by more than five numbers. Iron will bounce and not lock. A small rusty screw will sometimes lock, but this happens with most detectors.

As a coin hunter, I use 5khz frequency. Today, I dug a 9 inch deep mercury dime and an 8 inch deep silver quarter. Both found with 5khz and 91 sens. I run my disc a 3 with no notches. I always check my immediate surroundings when I dig a nice coin and today's finds had two and three junk targets within 4 to 5 inches. I check in the immediate area by using the pinpoint.

My advice would be stay in three tone. Four and five tone modes seem to "light up" bitty pieces of rust. It is just way too chatty for me. The Anfibio Multi is just an insanely deep detector. While I don't dig loads of rusty iron, I find it hard to dig 9 to 10 inch deep plugs with a Lesche digger. I have a small shovel, but the places I hunt are manicured grass and just the sight of any kind of shovel will get me the boot. Good luck!

I agree with 3 tones with 90+ gain and I don't see where it looses depth on coin size targets. In a real hunt, not a test bed, running the machine too hot with it chattering, causes many deep targets to be missed. The sound is key to KNOWING deep iron. Unless it flat iron that most machines will high tone on.

I use a lesche also, with the same problem. Hard to dig deep. I just ordered a predator raptor 31. I think that will do the trick.
PS... I ordered an Anfibio, but haven't tried it out yet.

Four Tone with high a high gain setting does make a lot of noise and sounds. It can be challenging to sort it all out. I had my Anfibio out for a bit today and hunted in four tone and 14khz. I hunted spots that I had previously "hunted out" with other detectors. It was tough going, as I only managed to find two V Nickels.
I may have to give the three tone a chance, as I have rarely used it--I just don't like giving up depth. Another thing that may help you is to notch out the 98 and 99 numbers, as I don't think any good stuff falls under those numbers. Another consideration is to get yourself a concentric coil, as they seem to be less chatty. Good luck!

I've been metal detecting since 1973 and have used pretty much every well-known brand. My dad got me started before 1973 if I can remember correctly was a rolsco not sure if I spelled that right. I remember going out and finding a horseshoe and I was hooked from then on. I'm 65 years old now and still will never use a shovel when digging on any kind of well-manicured are semi well-manicured properties I get on my hands and knees and I'll dig with my old trusty knife with a root cutter along the edge that was given to me when I was a kid for a birthday present for metal detecting. I always use a drop cloth for the dirt so that when I put dirt and plug back you can never tell I was there. Now when I'm in the woods looking for War of 1812 relics which I found many of I do use a shovel.
It's raining today in Buffalo but the temperature is around 50° believe it or not. Going to put the rain jacket on and get out for a few hours down to the beach. Going to see if I can figure out a way to distinguish those high iron nail tones that sound just like a silver coin. I guess I'm probably going to just have to start digging everything that gives me a repeatable tone. I remember using my cz5 and all the CZ machines that did the same thing and gave Hi-Tone on Rusty nails that were deep and I had to deal with that.

Once you put hours in, it will come to you as to which is non ferrous or iron. I still dig the deeper square nails, pretty much know going in that they are iron but I would rather dig iron instead of guessing and passing on them.

I talked to Jerry, ole digging buddy about the Anfibio and to notch out some of the low iron numbers as well as the 96-100 numbers. And still pick up that rare to find silver dollar.
To help any iron that would wrap around and give a high tone. What I have done in the past with the Impact, Kruzer and Anfibio.
Haven't heard back from him, so it must be working.

Some signals can get clipped or you can lose them entirely when notching 96 and above. Large cents and silver dollars being more specific but I don't know why.If you notch, it would be a good idea to run over again without notching those high sectors.The targets are not masked or iffy,whether it is the ground minerals or what,maybe gb numbers has changed from one particular section of ground to another when searching an area.I don't notch but perhaps it is where you set your tone breaks,I like lower tone volume on lower id ranges so the high conductor really stands out , even when partially masked.

I have also suggested adjusting tone breaks and tone frequency and adjust the notching to see what will work for his situation. It gave him a starting point to work from.
He's still new with the detector. But has used a Makro Relic in the past.