Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Multi use GPS

STONEWALL

I know very little about GPS other than I want one. Am looking to buy a hand held for outdoors (Relic hunting Old houses, Ghost towns, Abandoned Logging camps, etc.) that can also be used in a vehicle. Is there such an animal? Thanks

To me, the most "all in one" GPS receivers / navigators are the Garmin iQue series. The one that I am using the most (virtually) every day is iQue 3600. It's a GPS receiver, road navigator and a Palm PDA in one. That allows me to have at my fingertips not only Garmin maps, automatic routing with voice instructions but also, with loaded PathAway source, it lets me use scanned raster maps, satellite photos and such. Also, since it's Palm based, it gives me access to multitude of other software and functions, keeps track of my contacts and appointments, serves as a voice recorder, lats me read books (ebooks), take notes, view JPGs from digital camera, display sky atlas, tides, dictionary and a bunch of other stuff. With all that stuff, I still wouldn't marry it but, I'm going out with it all the time ;-)

Thanks a lot for the reply. I dont need the all the bells and whistles you described. Something more basic maybe. Not too complicated. Cheaper?

Nice but limited to DeLorme supplied maps and aerial / satellite images. This is OK for most of the continental USA but not as flexible as being able to load virtually anything you want into iQue. Mind you; iQue is more expensive and extra software and maps cost pretty penny as well so, for an USA user, this may be very fine device. Also; using only manufacturer's maps simplifies map loading and operation so, this may be important to users who don't feel to comfy around computers and playing with mapping software.

If you are willing to do away with routing and raster maps than just about any modern mapping receiver will do.
My personal favs are Lowrance and Garmin. Lowrance for reception and Garmin for their OEM mapping. Lowrance tends to be less expensive. Some of the Garmin handhelds can do auto routing except no voice directions.
You need to make a list of "must have options" and "would like to have" options and than study the data sheet for each unit. Keep in mind that; if maps are "must have" than large, colour displays are preferable.