Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

multiple detector air test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnTVIaL5oec http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvF78MPB1nQ[
The first is coin and relic and the second is gold detectors, its just air tests, some detectors do much better in ground then air and the coins are eu coins so silver and copper are not used , a gold ring was used and the higher frequency seems to do the best 17.5 of the nokta/makro. I'm not sure if the manufacturer had anything to do with the test. It is known that the velox and fors can show pretty good depth and the cf77 seems to be a repackaged version of the velox. I own a f70 and just ordered a cf77, I also have a musketeer and 3 tesoros and a whites quantum. Anyway this is just information. Vaughn in Nova scotia

But I don't hunt in the air it's the ground dude that changes everything

hey Vaughn, good info...the CF77 doesn't seem to get much airplay, maybe a sleeper...

looking forward to some posts once the ground thaws....and how it does on Canadian coinage..

This is a great video. For those that are complaining about air tests arent accurate, give it rest. Air test may be different from ground depth, however the videos are still a great comparable for detectors. Comparing this many different brands of detectors isnt easy and I thank you Greatly for the work you put into the videos!!!

I only found them, the work was all ready done. It is a fine job in comparing detector to detector,Watching it a few times it seems flawed, I,m sure the t2 hasn't performed to its fullest, again its just info.

vpoirier79 said:
The first is coin and relic and the second is gold detectors, its just air tests, some detectors do much better in ground then air and the coins are eu coins so silver and copper are not used , a gold ring was used and the higher frequency seems to do the best
Thanks for the interesting video post. Also, 'Thank You' for pointing out that these are 'air tests' and results can vary based upon the ground mineral conditions. Any videos can provide some educations moments, be them positive or negative.

vpoirier79 said:
It is known that the velox and fors can show pretty good depth and the cf77 seems to be a repackaged version of the velox.
I know first-hand that the FORS CoRe can show very good performance in an 'air test' comparison, but it is especially impressive with it in-ground performance.

vpoirier79 said:
I own a f70 and just ordered a cf77, I also have a musketeer and 3 tesoros and a whites quantum. Anyway this is just information. Vaughn in Nova scotia
The CF77 will be a different dimension to what you're using, and not knowing which Tesoro models you have I can't say how many of what you have I wouldn't be interested in, so I'll just start out with two of your current detectors I could happily live without.

Comments ... Video testing and comparison can be interesting to watch as we can hear the operators comments and opinions, learn what settings are used, and sometimes learn from them. We can also note discrepancies compared with detectors we use and the site environments we encounter. While I know that varying ground mineral conditions can have an effect on a detector's in-the-field performance, I feel we can still gain some insight from "air tests" as long as all the conditions and settings are equal.

Error with the Deus and others ... One thing I learn is to check for control settings, coil choices, and search coil orientation to the targets presented to it. This first video starts out with the Deus being tested, and it appears to be laying down because looking at the search coil position, it appears it is on it's side and the targets are being swept lengthwise from tip-to-tail and not crosswise and going across the canter of the DD coils. Double-D coils do not work as well, if swept in that manner, because they don't have the same consistent EMF from all directions like a Concentric search coil.

Not all detectors were using the same type search coil [size=small](some were Concentric and most were Double-D)[/size], and coil sizes varied, too. I couldn't understand everything stated so maybe it was suggested that they were compared using their 'standard' search coil? It seems that a test for depth might want to try to match coil sizes and/or types.

Some models were tested in their All Metal Mode and other were tested in a motion-based Discriminate mode, so that seemed a little unfair as well.

We don't know the settings used withy each detector and I think that should have been clarified, too, and all adjusted similarly.

My general opinions ... Again it was interesting, but there were enough differences, as mentioned that I don't feel it made it a completely clear comparison. Still, even though these were 'Air Tests" I don't have a problem overall because I could at least learn a little about the various models shown.

I wish I could have understood all of the conversation used, and I do give them credit for the effort and time to gather all of those up and conduct the comparisons.

Now it's time to head out with my FORS and Racer to do some "in the ground testing" of my own before our rain storm arrived for two days.

Monte

I,m sure one of the detectors you can live without is the quantum. I've read o few of your posts on it. I,m just one of the few that it has clicked with. I like the musketeer, very quick and deep, seems to love the large canadian penny of the 1900 era. I have a vaquero, this is the second time, i.m trying to learn it, never gave it much time the first time.. I have the compadrea, trying to get my kids involved, its not a video game. I also have the golden umax, old tone,{I keep a nickle in my shoe to remind me of that tone.I really like this detector to go into a ball field or park that I have not been in a while. It just rocks on canadian loony and twoony, thats what our $1 and $2 coins are affectionately known as. I have been detecting since 1996 and have not come across another detectorist. I have the island of cape breton to myself. I just bought the f70 used and have not used it yet. I had a gti2500 and hated it, I,m in coal country and it just would not work with a concentric coil, it was ok with a dd coil. Had an etrac ,couldn't find anything with it. just didn't click with me.

VPointer--- Thanks for going to the trouble of posting these tests.They are very informative in comparing a group of detectors under ONE set of controlled conditions. Some folks Can't understand that this is ONE way to conduct a comparative test of different detectors.Since we aren't SuperMen it is impossible to fly to Every location to test Every different kind of dirt---Soooooooo we have to use a medium that is pretty much the same everywhere----AIR. Again fo dem "Dis ain't mah dirt" folks this is Just One test done by a guy who wants to Share some info and posted by a guy who is Only trying to be helpful. Neither person is trying to prove/disprove anyones personal conclusions on their dirt or detector.

A great air test isn't the most important factor to predict performance.Most detectors I bought because of a great air test failed in the field.This could be a very nice detector.For me performance in the field at different sites and ground conditions are the most important factors. HH Ron

Ron from Michigan said:
A great air test isn't the most important factor to predict performance.Most detectors I bought because of a great air test failed in the field.This could be a very nice detector.For me performance in the field at different sites and ground conditions are the most important factors. HH Ron
I have checked out some detectors that seemed fairly decent in an "air test", but also when doing such tests I check a few other things "in air" that gives me a hint of what to expect afield.

If a person puts 100% faith and anticipation for results in these tests, they might be surprised. However, I have seen people with a detector that performs quite well on in-ground targets .... in their mild or mellow soil .... that suffer miserably when taken into a real high mineral or high ferrous iron content environment.

In the end we all have to pick the models that work for us, and along the way it doesn't cost anything to do some simple "air tests" to get one understanding of how the controls work, what the audio can sound like, etc.

Sometimes in our life with detectors we come to be surprised by some of the performance we get, even to the point that we take and extra amount of time to re-evaluate the results, only to end up with a very surprised conclusion. In this case it happened more than once for me. One was that I finally used a foreign-made detector that seemed to match or better my top-contender that I have admired a great deal.

Second, after more time spent afield and making more real-life comparisons on naturally detected targets, not only did the detector circuitry design impress me, but it did so with Double-D search coils which would usually be one of the main reasons I WOULDN'T like a detector. They just didn't perform well with other brands or using DD coils on my favored White's MXT Pro, but then the FORS CoRe was a wake-up call!

Well, just so I wouldn't forget how well the FORS unit works, I got a very good reminder when I started putting the Racer to work with all four search coils. That is, all four DOUBLE-D search coils. I never thought it would happen, but it's a credit to the excellent design engineering that results in two very splendid detectors for all-around, general-purpose detecting.

They were pleasing in side-by-side "air tests" and even more credit worthy for the results provided from actual searches.

Monte

yes, you were correct about the Quantum. None of them fit the demands I have for a detector. Nor did the GTI-2500's I had, or the early version Golden µMAX.

I am saddened by the trends Canada has taken in how they make their coinage. Here in Oregon I find a Canadian coin form time-to-time, and I really like the older silver coins and copper cents which were much like we [size=small](the USA)[/size] used to make. I plucked one of the early Canadian Large Cents just a few years ago, and I still have it. The Canadian coinage is quite a challenge and can be difficult to find by many people simply due to the magnetic properties they have. I have my Large Cent and a few earlier date Canadian coins and I am, going to make a post using them and a great assortment of Canadian Coins I was sent by Sven. I'll post it later tonight, perhaps, or tomorrow, and reflect the metal alloy make-up of the various coins.

Monte

same with the UK COINAGE debased beyond all recognition .steel core with a minute amount of copper coating ,they rust away even in clean water