Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX-5

pitcher

Took my new MX-5 out today for the secound time and ran it in two tone, notched in some iron and notched everything other than coins, did pretty good but the VCO seems to change on its own, when I pin point a shollow target the tones change on there own, iron starts to sound like nickels when running eight tone.
Not sure if this is right, does not seem to go along with the manual.

pitcher said:
Took my new MX-5 out today for the secound time and ran it in two tone, notched in some iron and notched everything other than coins, did pretty good but the VCO seems to change on its own, when I pin point a shollow target the tones change on there own, iron starts to sound like nickels when running eight tone.
Not sure if this is right, does not seem to go along with the manual.

Hi Pitcher,

When using standard pinpoint audio, the tone becomes louder as your search coil gets closer to the target. When VCO pinpointing is on, the pitch of the tone also becomes higher as the coil gets closer to the target.

When pinpointing a shallow target using VCO, the pitch of the tone can become very high as the coil nears the center of the target. As the coil is moved away from the target, the pitch of the tone will become lower.

VCO tone changes and Tone ID are two completely different things.

Hope this helps
Bob

Yes vco is like that. I cant wait to get an mx5. I really like the options and think whites may have hit a home run. Ive seen air tests and a coulple vids on it and really like it

I understand how VCO works, but the tones change even when I have the VCO off, on the MX-5 you can turn it on or off, the reason I bought the MX-5 was to hunt in two tone, when its working right its great, but when the tones change weather Im running VCO or not it changes the tones in your two tone progam, when change happens I lose my threshold as well, I have to turn it almost to max to hear it.
If this is how the MX-5 runs then I made a big mistake buying it, changing the tone when pin pointing is one thing, but its changes the tones after pin point when I start to hunt again.
Hunt4Fun hits on a key point here, VCO tone and Tone ID are completey different, the pin point mode should change the Tone ID but it does and thats the problem, I dont care if the Tone changes when I pin point but I want the Tone ID to stay where it was.

Thanks

pitcher said:
I understand how VCO works, but the tones change even when I have the VCO off, on the MX-5 you can turn it on or off, the reason I bought the MX-5 was to hunt in two tone, when its working right its great, but when the tones change weather Im running VCO or not it changes the tones in your two tone progam, when change happens I lose my threshold as well, I have to turn it almost to max to hear it.
If this is how the MX-5 runs then I made a big mistake buying it, changing the tone when pin pointing is one thing, but its changes the tones after pin point when I start to hunt again.
Hunt4Fun hits on a key point here, VCO tone and Tone ID are completey different, the pin point mode should change the Tone ID but it does and thats the problem, I dont care if the Tone changes when I pin point but I want the Tone ID to stay where it was.

Thanks

Hi Pitcher,

What I wrote is how VCO pinpointing works on an MXT, DFX and V3i. And, when you turn off VCO pinpointing on a DFX or V3i it only turns off VCO with no other effect.

The behavior you describe sounds abnormal to me. I suggest you contact your dealer or White

You are welcome, pitcher.

Glad things seem to be working out. I believe you are really going to enjoy the MX5 when you get a properly working model. Again, let us know when you get the repaired or replaced unit.

Bob

I got my MX-5 back from Whites and Steve is one hell of a guy, he sent me a new MX-5 so I gave it a try, it runs just like the first one did, I think it will just take some time to get use to it, the MX-5 is a real nice machine just has a tone change I have to get use to, after swinging it for a few hours and not lettiing the tone change bug me it really does hit hard on good targets.
There are good and bad to all detectors we all no that, the MX-5 is very light weight, I can use it in the pouring rain, it has notch, 3 tone choices, all metal beach and coin, alot of good stuff going for it, but then you have to deal with the coil plug thats a pain in the butt, the tones changing is not good in my book.
I feel I gave it fair try and I think alot of people will do very with the MX-5, but I,m getting older and I,m set in my ways so I will be selling the MX-5 and looking for another detector, I,ve had Whites all of my life and I will buy alot more of them before I,m done detecting.

Thanks for all the support.

all new detectors has an adjustment period..i love mine and and im amazed how good it is. simple deep and fun..

So did he say if there was anything wrong . Mine is doing the same thing. It wasn't doing it the first day I used it. Just wondering

So when the tones change after pinpointing, does it show on the display? Is the display showing the correct number of tones (that it automatically switched too), or is it still showing 2 tones but actually producing more?

Im thinking mine shows everything on screen is right...like nothing has changed. Just tones act weird for a min

Yeah I talked with Steve, all user error, good luck guys Whites will just blame you, they say the MX5 is fine.

Pitcher

im thinking that whites may be confused as to what is really happening.no way whites would ever leave anyone out to dry.. once they duplicate what is really going on with these then no doubt they will take care of it. my machine does it,not all the time but the tones change...im not worried about it because I know whites will get it right. and my mx5 is still an awesome detector.