Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX-7 or Simplex

Rob183

This may be a tired question but I have a never used MX-7, so my question would be should I skip the MX-7 and get a simplex or stay with the 7?

The MX-7 and MX Sport are excellent detectors in moderate to mild dirt. In bad mineralization they were disappointing depth wise and with jumpy target ID for me. In normal dirt the MX-7 was very deep and stable. I really enjoyed owning one for awhile but went with the Equinox since it handles mineralized dirt much better. The MX-7 and MX Sport have lots of great features, are very adjustable and have an awesome display. Personally I like their audio tones very much. I did not care for the 950 coil however. I did like the 6" the stock 10"DD and especially the Detech coils. You get a whole lot of detector for the money if you buy used.

I have not used a Simplex. It looks like it is the best entry to lower mid level detector available due to its features and Anfibio/Kruzer DNA.

Jeff

I have an MX7. Contrary to Jeff, mine is deep anywhere I go (as in dirt, not sand) and most of the places around here are difficult both in mineralization and trash. Jumpy target ID ? Yes most of the time unfortunately. Stable ? Not really especially if I compare it to the F19. If it sounds like I'm bashing the MX7, I'm not. In certain situations it slays my other machines and I've hinted at this in my other posts. It's just not a machine I would recommend for somebody who is just starting out in metal detection. It takes patience to get used to it and learn all its functions and language in use.

I don't have a Simplex but I'm very curious about it at the moment. The Nokta Fors CoRe I have is a great detector.

I'm currently running an MX Sport which is pretty much a water proof MX 7 and I am getting awesome depth with it, you don't even have to run the gain very high to really get down there. Like dfmike said though it does take some getting used to as far as what it is telling you, especially on the deepies, but like any other detector once you use it for little while you will be just fine. In my PA soil it is a beast and many times I have found myself digging deeper than I really care to. I have owned quite a few Makro detectors and they are no slouches, so I imagine the Simplex would also be a good choice as well even though I have never run one. But from my experience I like the Whites. I have done a video on the MX Sport on my youtube channel, "coin spader" if you want to see it in action.

Rob183: You don't mention where you metal detect and what you like to find primarily. The MX7 has a variety of coils available now. The Simplex only has the stock one (as far as I know). Personally if I was in the market for a new detector I'd wait for a smaller coil to be available at the time of purchase. The Simplex with the 11" DD would be of little use to me at this time since I absolutely need a small coil for the places that I hunt. I think I have used the MX7 stock 950 coil maybe twice since I've had the detector. As soon as I got the six shooter coil, it never got off the detector. I need separation and/or the ability to swing a coil in very tight spaces.

OK. I thought by your original post that you were wondering which detector to choose and never used either.

Is there something you don't like about your MX7 that makes you want to change ? I think the MX7 with that six shooter coil is very good on coins.

Looking for opinions before I get started with it. I think I'm going to put the shooter coil on it and see how it goes.

Be patient with it. It's a sparky machine and it has a certain learning curve. Set the gain to a moderate level like 4-5 to start and if you are detecting in trashy areas, you might want to use it in the hi trash program. It will cut out some of the noise. Don't forget to set and lock your ground balance.

I live I western Pennsylvania and have used a lot of machines..the mx sport and the f75 are by far the deepest machines I’ve ever used,,and pulled deep old coppers and silver with..I’m talking honest 9 to 10 inch coins..You cannot go wrong with a mx sport, no way