Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX-7

patch

OTHER THAN NOT BEING WATERPROOF,WHAT IS DIFFERENT BETWEEN THE MX-7 AND THE MX SPORT? IHAVE HEARD IT IS LIGHTER,BETTER BATTERY LIFE, AND BETTER ON SMALL GOLD.YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE. THANK YOU.

patch said:
OTHER THAN NOT BEING WATERPROOF,WHAT IS DIFFERENT BETWEEN THE MX-7 AND THE MX SPORT? IHAVE HEARD IT IS LIGHTER,BETTER BATTERY LIFE, AND BETTER ON SMALL GOLD.YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE. THANK YOU.
Not much so far as circuitry design and in-the-field performance.

The MX Sport and MX-7 operate at 13.8 kHz.

The MX Sport and MX-7 have the same 6 modes, or programs as White's calls them, plus Pinpoint.

Performance will be the same if they are both equipped with the same search coil. The MX Sport comes with an open-frame 10 Double D coil, while the MX-7 is supplied with the 'hole-in-the-middle' 950 Concentric coil.

Other than the search coil on the far end, the MX-Sport and MX-7 differ in the control housing and grip design. The MX Sport has a larger-size black plastic type grip that leaves a smaller amount of the yellow-colored rod exposed, while the MX-7 uses a 'traditional' style 'Bengal Orange' 'S' rod and a comfortable foam grip. Due to the weight of the different search coils and the grip designs, they do have a different weight. According to their Owner Manual's the MX Sport weighs 4.[size=small]0[/size] pounds and the MX-7 tips the scales at 3.[size=small]6[/size] pounds.

My waterproof detector isn't the MX Sport, but I have used it and I do not find it uncomfortable. That said, I DO own two MX-7's and I will say they feel more comfortable than the MX-Sport, at least to me. The two MX Sports I used, briefly, last spring and summer had the Detech 7" DD coil mounted, and currently my two MX-7's have the 6½" Concentric and Detech 7" DD mounted to them so I was able to compare their balance and feel since I have the same coil mounted as there was on the MX Sport.

There is one more difference, an important difference to me, that inspired me to buy the MX-7 and that is the change White's made in the headphone jack location. :thumbup: On the MX-7 the headphone jack on positioned at the rear of the battery housing, just like most of the better White's models I have enjoyed for decades.

Otherwise, their performance is similar ... and they do perform quite well. If they didn't, I wouldn't own and use two MX-7's as they make a great fit in my Regular-Use Detector Team. Matter of fact, we have a winter weather advisory for this evening and I'm going to get ready to head our for maybe three hours of pre-storm detecting! I hope you have the opportunity to get out hunting as well.

Monte

Monte

Thinking about upgrading from my mxt to the mx7 looking for better balance and more spot on audio which seems more crisp in the vidios on the mx7,,,,,CEDAR

I got an MXT as soon as they were introduced, and moved on to the MXT Pro / MXT All-Pro after they added the enhancements and changes. It was the primary-use detector in my arsenal of several at the time and continued to be ... until three years ago this month. I made a switch to one of my all-time favorite detectors and built my current detector battery with multi-purpose detectors that work great, and part of that has been the excellent audio. There was more, of course. Competition was bringing out newer and more innovative models at competitive prices, generally lower than the $899.95 MXT Pro series, and I knew it would only be a matter of time until White's brought us something better. They did.

The MX Sport showed me what the potential was, and those I tried worked OK with a 7" DD coil, and I liked the advancements they made with this detector as an improvement over the already good, but high-priced MXT series. But I wanted a land-based detector that was comfortably balanced, and that came our way with the new MX-7. Same circuitry and in-the-field performance, but for me and my bad back, poor health and mobility issues, the MX-7 is a perfect fit for me and holds a solid spot in my detector team.

It doesn't work just like my Makro and Nokta detectors, but they don't work just like the MX-7, either. They ALL work, and work well, and their design and packaging makes a great complement to each other for the tough sites I like to hunt.

Great audio, and a very sparky Sensitivity/Gain as well. Impressive depth-of-detection and I can't find anything to complain about. Except I am sitting here and need to be out-the-door 5 minutes ago. So I am off detecting! If you were here to come along I'd let you check out this fine detector. Make it to one of the three Welcome-to-Hunt Outings in April or May and you can compare it with what you're using.

Monte

That is what I did back in Dec as I ordered in the MX7 for my wife as she has been using the MXT since they came out and does quite well, but the weight was getting to her plus she needed to upgrade. Been frozen ground and many below zero temp so not been able to get out with it and doing air test and such and feels she will do even better than before.
For me I like the audio on the MXT as it is louder for me with the bad hearing I have, but for her she can hear the slightest noise, so it is hard to sneak out and detect without her.

Rick

Monte I would love to come to one of those hunts out west but michigan is quite a poke to get to ya however if you happen to get in this part of the country would put you on an 1885 church camp where we have permision to hunt.Finds are few but sill produces old coins my oldest 1883 seated dime in the nails.Been following your posts for a while if you say the mx7 is good I believe.Where do you see the 6 1/2 concentric coil foresale,,,,CEDAR

According to posts from Tom Boykin at White's, it will be here this spring. For years White's has used the same coil housing for different 'series' of detectors, such as the Blue Max 600. That white-colored plastic housing coil worked on models such as the XLT, XL Pro and Classic series. Then they changed the color to black plastic and relabeled the coils for that series of detectors the 5.3 Black Max and changed it to 5.3 Bullseye.

The same housing coil was also made in black for the higher-frequency DFX, MXT, M6, MXT Pro, MX-5, VX3 and V3i, with that coil labeled 5.3 Eclipse. In all cases, every coil used the same housing and I prefer to call things the way they are, so going back to the original Blue Max 600 [size=small](which sort of implies a 6" coil)[/size], I generally call it a 6½" because that's the closest physical diameter measurement.

There have been times when I called it a 6" coil, simply because that's what White's refers to it as, or I had an early computer that had me spacing numbers and typing 6 1/2, but with my more equipped computer keyboard I can quickly type 6½ and usually do so. Anyway, the 6" or 6½" Concentric search coils, regardless of their decal name, have all been excellent in-the-field performers for me. When I drove over to White's a couple of months ago to buy my [size=small](first)[/size] MX-7, a 7" DD coil, Ground Hawg shovel and a couple of accessories, I was provided a fresh 6½" Concentric coil to evaluate that is going to be introduced for the MX-7 and MX Sport models.

I keep that versatile coil mounted to my main-use MX-7, but mine came w/o any decal, so I had my oldest son make a coil decal for me at his business.
https://www.findmall.com/addon.php?31,module=embed_images,file_id=354216

I am not positive what White's will label the new coil, but my best guess is that they will still call it a 6" and not a 6½" but I feel that's close enough. I think he might have hinted as to when the new coil will be available, but my last recall was 'spring' and that's coming very soon.

As for the Welcome-to-Hunt Outings, for the past three years they have all been held in Nevada, searching quite a few ghost towns, and once, last June, here in Eastern Oregon where we hunted two or three gold mining era ghost town sites. We have had 17 to 25 participants, per outing, make the six WTHO's so far, and they have come from Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.

The first one this year will be held the end of April here in Eastern Oregon, and the 8th and 9th Outings will be in mid-May and late May, both in Nevada. So far we have also had more people ask to be added to the WTHO Contact List to keep informed of all future activities, and commitments from new participants making one or more Outings this year coming from Michigan and New Mexico and possibly Kansas. As for where we hold them, because of the turn-out for a 4-5 day event, we like to have a 'base camp' location [size=small](town with motels, RV Parks, gas, food)[/size] with maybe 3 or more huntable locations so folks can kind of spread out or pick-and-choose where to go of a day.

If there is one old-use activity site that had a long duration with a lot of people and good potential for target loss, that might work but it would have to sustain the interests of a good group of people for several days. I'm eager to find any potentially good location anywhere across the USA and welcome any clues or ideas people would like to e-mail me to research.

Monte

Monte said:
According to posts from Tom Boykin at White's, it will be here this spring. For years White's has used the same coil housing for different 'series' of detectors, such as the Blue Max 600. That white-colored plastic housing coil worked on models such as the XLT, XL Pro and Classic series. Then they changed the color to black plastic and relabeled the coils for that series of detectors the 5.3 Black Max and changed it to 5.3 Bullseye.

The same housing coil was also made in black for the higher-frequency DFX, MXT, M6, MXT Pro, MX-5, VX3 and V3i, with that coil labeled 5.3 Eclipse. In all cases, every coil used the same housing and I prefer to call things the way they are, so going back to the original Blue Max 600 (which sort of implies a 6" coil), I generally call it a 6½" because that's the closest physical diameter measurement.

There have been times when I called it a 6" coil, simply because that's what White's refers to it as, or I had an early computer that had me spacing numbers and typing 6 1/2, but with my more equipped computer keyboard I can quickly type 6½ and usually do so. Anyway, the 6" or 6½" Concentric search coils, regardless of their decal name, have all been excellent in-the-field performers for me. When I drove over to White's a couple of months ago to buy my (first) MX-7, a 7" DD coil, Ground Hawg shovel and a couple of accessories, I was provided a fresh 6½" Concentric coil to evaluate that is going to be introduced for the MX-7 and MX Sport models.

I keep that versatile coil mounted to my main-use MX-7, but mine came w/o any decal, so I had my oldest son make a coil decal for me at his business.
https://www.findmall.com/addon.php?31,module=embed_images,file_id=354216

I am not positive what White's will label the new coil, but my best guess is that they will still call it a 6" and not a 6½" but I feel that's close enough. I think he might have hinted as to when the new coil will be available, but my last recall was 'spring' and that's coming very soon.

Monte

The countdown begins for my MX Sport and me.:detecting:
Thanks for the info, Monte!:thumbup:

the MX7 i thought was weatherproof or water resistant at least - is it not? I want a good intermediate $500-$600 detector that goes deep, can handle some rain, dust, mud, doesn't eat batteries, and is great for coins, jewelry - parks, beaches, old homesteads and sometimes farms/fields.