Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX Sport black sand/magnetite

jerry123

All my detectors fail in moderate black sand. Fisher cz, makro cf 77, minelab xterra 70 and AT pro. The Makro cf 77 does get 4 to 5in on a nickel and the rest are really bad even the cz 7a. Do you think it's worth buying mx sport for fresh water beach?
Has anyone tested the mx sport in moderate black sand beach? What kind of depth ? I don't want to be digging rusty nails all day using a pi machine.
Another thing I can't understand is why whites didn't incorporate manual ground balance.

Thanks Jerry

Hello Jerry,

I've used the MX Sport numerous times in fresh water black sand conditions, these were dry river beds and extreamly mineralized.

All VLF fail under these conditions, only a few operate fair and these are all metal models. The AT Gold with Prospecting mode, MXT in prospecting mode or GMT with prospecting mode, these are pretty good. Not perfect, but do a decent job.

The MX does well, All Metal or
Prospecting mode are the better modes for harsh mineralization. SAT helps, use only what you need, and use VCO on position.

However, extreme mineralization will drop ID down to iron range. So you will need to dig all signals, we're seeing gold jewerly and coins near the surface ID as iron here on the west coast fresh water black sand.

Pi's are the better choice, but one needs to have the mindset it's ok digging iron, nails and such to be successful. Maybe water hunting isn't for you? Mineralization effects the signal, once one understands this, they are more likely to wade thought iron to increase odds of finding gold jewelry.

The care,
Paul

Hi Paul, Is there any way to tell if it's iron I'm detecting in prospecting mode? I can tell you my minelab xterra 70 in prospecting mode will not pick up a nickel past 3" at the beaches out here.

thanks jerry

Hello Jerry,

Yes, Both All Metal and Prospecting mode with tge MX Sport will ID iron both visual and audio.

Depending on black sand mineralization, depth is effected and conductive target ID drops down into iron range

We have it pretty bad here in my area with fresh water black sand, the best VLF are All Metal/Prospecting mode. Need SAT to help the detector speed up to enhance stability, but only use what you need SAT can go against you if using too much as it will reduce sensitivity and depth in the All Metal modes. Except for Relic Mode, SAT auctally enhances the audio producing a more snappy tone without seriously hurting depth.

Hard to say if the MX Sport will fare good in your area of black sand, I've used all three MXS versions of firmware at out local river beds and like the latest Prospecting and All Metal Firmware best.

Have compared the MX Sport with other top end VLF at our local river bed, it held up pretty good.

Wish I could be of help to you, good luck.

Paul