Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX Sport coil question

JaBo

I have the 6X10 coil for the Sport as well as the 7" detech coil. The 6X10 was my go to coil for the DFX but I have been mostly using the 7" with the MX Sport. How does the 950 coil compare to the 6X10? Would it give me more variety for different hunting conditions? Also does anyone have any feedback on the 13" ultimate coil and its effectiveness with the MX Sport? Thanks

Of course the 'MX' series today only refers to the MX Sport and MX-7 and not the MX-5 which uses a different coil connector/plug.

I use smaller-size coils because I hunt very trashy sites 90+% of the time. Ghost towns, homesteads, pioneer and military encampments, old resort and picnic gathering sites, etc., etc., as well as urban parks around a littered picnic bowery and the like. As a rule, when I have an option I also prefer a smaller Concentric coil to a Double-D coil for the benefits they provide. I also like 'standard-size' coil to be Concentric when I have the option for that was well. I borrowed an MX Sport and used the 10" DD coil and 7" Detech DD coil, and vastly preferred the 7" DD due to the types of sites I hunted, plus it balanced well and performed 'OK.'

I prefer a 6½" round Concentric coil on my White's models, the one they label 5.3 but it measures 6½" across. That coil will discriminate iron better, provide a better TID lock-on than a DD coil, and I used that size most of the time on the MXT Pro, M6, etc. My MX-7 came standard with the 950 Concentric coil you asked about, and the limited amount of time I have had to use it I can tell you that I prefer it to the 10" DD, or the 6X10 DD, for more open, sparse-target places to search. Lighter and better balanced than the 10" DD. I have the 950 on a spare lower rod for the periodic times I might want to mount it to the MX-7, but keep smaller coils attached and in-use the bulk of the time. Dense iron nail contaminated sites are the main annoyance I have to deal with where I usually go.

As for the Detech 13" Ultimate coil, I guess you would have to clarify what you mean by 'effectiveness' with an MX Sport or MX-7.

For me, the ONLY real benefit I might get out of an over-size search coil is for locating bigger-size targets. I have a couple of bigger coils in my detector coil and accessory tote that I use when doing some Cache Hunting, usually under contract, and those are for two other detectors in my arsenal, the Nokta Impact and FORS CoRe. I would have very little use for a larger and heavier coil for the MX-7, so I didn't even pause to consider getting the 13" Ultimate coil. One I tried on a friend's detector felt rather nose heavy, and I didn't really see any benefit for me, in the few sparse-target sites I encounter to expect any functional depth benefit or coverage advantages on smaller-size targets I am after such as coins, trade tokens, rings, bracelets, pendants, buttons, uniform insignia, and the like.

I don't like to have an excess of search coils for every detector in my Regular-Use Detector Team and only have a full assortment for my Impact models, with the others only having one-to-four coils on-hand in the tote. I have my two favorite coils for my MX5, the 6½" and open-frame 9" Concentric coils, and three coils for my MX-7. I have no need for anything bigger than the 950 for it, and that coil does well in the more open, sparse-target sites I like to use it for. Places like a beach, plowed field or wide-open grassy park when there are few targets and they are well spaced.

Monte

I am hoping:please: that White's will release the 5.3 for the MX Sport and MX 7. I love a small coil. My detector before getting the Sport was a T2 SE LTD. Very good detector, awesome detector with the 5" coil. That 5" coil went surprisingly deep and was like a laser in the trashy areas. The MX Sport would be even more awesome to me with a small coil. I am certain that the MX 7 would benefit as well. (fingers crossed)

I got mine for evaluation a week ago today on my trip across state over to White's and was told it makes about six of them out for evaluation. I wouldn't say anything except I sent an e-mail to Tom B. at White's yesterday and asked if we could mention this coil, and if and when it might be introduced.

Tom e-mailed me back and said it's okay to mention it, and: "... as we are planning to offer them for sale next year." I already asked about when and I am awaiting Tom's reply, but I wouldn't pester them about it. They have evaluation coils out, feedback is favorable, and they are moving on with production, so I am sure there will be an 'official' announcement soon.

I did ask that they consider changing the name from the goofy 5.3 which it physically isn't, to a proper 6½ Inch measurement and clarify it is Concentric. I know there have been people who wouldn't buy a 5.3 labeled coil for former White's models because they thought it was too small, being just over 5", but in reality, it isn't. It's an ideal 6½" size, and it performs great on my MX-7 :thumbup:

My standard 950 Concentric and Detech 7" DD coils are mounted on spare lower rods in my accessory tote, ready for 'specialty' needs they fit. The 6½ Inch Concentric coil will be a permanently mounted fixture for 90+% of my hunting which is generally in trashy to densely littered sites with a lot of nails and other ferrous debris. Also, most places are weedy, brushy, rocky and/or have building rubble and this coil works in and around site challenges quite well, Discriminates accurately, and Pinpoints wonderfully. In short, I like it! :thumbup:

I like both the 6½ Inch coil and the MX-7 it is attached to. This exact size Concentric coil has served me well on other White's models through the years, such as the 5900 Di Pro, XLT, 6000 Pro XL, Classic ID & IDX Pro, MXT series, M6 and MX-5 ... and now the MX-7. Anyone with an MX-7 or MX Sport is going to enjoy this search coil option that is coming very soon. I know they will serve me well during my Coin & Jewelry Hunting winter season, then on into Relic Hunting come early spring.

Monte

Being the mounting of the stock coil is at the edge of the coil it makes it heavy feeling.
This is going to be my wife detector and she always ran the smaller coil on her MXT and the stock coil was never used, so when the smaller coil for the MX7 is released I will put my order in for one.

Rick

Monte said:
I got mine for evaluation a week ago today on my trip across state over to White's and was told it makes about six of them out for evaluation. I wouldn't say anything except I sent an e-mail to Tom B. at White's yesterday and asked if we could mention this coil, and if and when it might be introduced.

Tom e-mailed me back and said it's okay to mention it, and: "... as we are planning to offer them for sale next year." I already asked about when and I am awaiting Tom's reply, but I wouldn't pester them about it. They have evaluation coils out, feedback is favorable, and they are moving on with production, so I am sure there will be an 'official' announcement soon.

I did ask that they consider changing the name from the goofy 5.3 which it physically isn't, to a proper 6½ Inch measurement and clarify it is Concentric. I know there have been people who wouldn't buy a 5.3 labeled coil for former White's models because they thought it was too small, being just over 5", but in reality, it isn't. It's an ideal 6½" size, and it performs great on my MX-7 :thumbup:

My standard 950 Concentric and Detech 7" DD coils are mounted on spare lower rods in my accessory tote, ready for 'specialty' needs they fit. The 6½ Inch Concentric coil will be a permanently mounted fixture for 90+% of my hunting which is generally in trashy to densely littered sites with a lot of nails and other ferrous debris. Also, most places are weedy, brushy, rocky and/or have building rubble and this coil works in and around site challenges quite well, Discriminates accurately, and Pinpoints wonderfully. In short, I like it! :thumbup:

I like both the 6½ Inch coil and the MX-7 it is attached to. This exact size Concentric coil has served me well on other White's models through the years, such as the 5900 Di Pro, XLT, 6000 Pro XL, Classic ID & IDX Pro, MXT series, M6 and MX-5 ... and now the MX-7. Anyone with an MX-7 or MX Sport is going to enjoy this search coil option that is coming very soon. I know they will serve me well during my Coin & Jewelry Hunting winter season, then on into Relic Hunting come early spring.

Monte

This is awesome news, I think I might cry!:clapping:

This is awesome news! Like I said elsewhere, I love the 950 concentric on my MXS, and to add a smaller concentric for trashy sites - well, count me in!

Thanks for all the replies. I will be adding the 5.3 when it is released. amcoins44 where do you hunt mostly with the 950? and what do you like about it? I am thinking of trading the 6X10 for a 950. The 13" ultimate coil I was wondering if that would be good for beach and water hunting when there isn't much trash or would the 950 or stock coil be as good? Has anyone used the 13" coil on the beach? Thanks again

I am a parks and schools coin/jewelry guy. I just never could get comfotable with the signals from the stock coil on the MS Sport. Seemed like lots of noise, and it just got tiresome. Besides easy pinpointing, the 950 has cleaned up the signals for me. I don't try for deep signals, but here in Michigan, dimes in the parks are common to hear at 6 inches with clean tones. I have no water experience. My background before the MXS was a decade with the XLT, which I still think is a very capable machine. I love to customize. Makes me with the MXS had more tone values like the XLT.

The Ultimate 13 coil is very good- good separation for a large coil and pinpoints well. I have used it parks and on the salt water beach. Not impressed on the beach. I think the smaller coil gets deeper but that is my impression, not a scientifically investigated fact. I suspect it would be great on a freshwater beach, however. In the park I was very impressed with its ease of use and it's ability to find coins even in some heavy trash. I also have the Detech 7, and that coil is great. It is my go-to coil for parks. Gets excellent depth in my mild soil. Hits a 10 inch clad dime in my test garden with proper tid at a sensitivity of 8. The standard coil is my least favorite coil. My next coil will probably be the 950.

JaBo said:
I will be adding the 5.3 when it is released.
Personally, I think that would be an excellent idea! Great for day-to-day detecting, especially when dealing with a lot of trash targets, and also provides better Discrimination in iron and quicker Pinpointing that DD coil designs.

JaBo said:
amcoins44 where do you hunt mostly with the 950? and what do you like about it?
I'm not 'amcoins44', but I prefer the 950 Concentric coil mainly for hunting open areas such as big city parks, sports fields, open pasture/range land, and both saltwater and freshwater beaches.

What do I like about the 950? Well, it is a Concentric design and I prefer a Concentric type coil most of the time when Coin & Jewelry Hunting. Concentric's deal with ferrous objects much better and that can provide tighter, more consistent numeric VDI read-outs. Then the easier Pinpointing in manicured grassy areas is also to my advantage. Finally, I have found the 9" to 9½" size coils to be just about right for a combination of covering low-target/sparse-trash areas and providing functional depth depth-of-detection on mid-depth to deeper coins.

JaBo said:
I am thinking of trading the 6X10 for a 950.
That's nothing I would do ... but that's because I would not own a White's 6X10 DD in the first place.:) I've worked with them a fair amount in a variety of hunt-site environments and always preferred a 6½" Concentric, 9" Concentric or 9½" Concentric when using any White's detector or coils. As for DD coils, I like the 7" Detect DD better than the 4X6 or 6X10 White's DD offerings.

JaBo said:
The 13" ultimate coil I was wondering if that would be good for beach and water hunting when there isn't much trash or would the 950 or stock coil be as good? Has anyone used the 13" coil on the beach?
With those choices I would prefer the 950 Concentric over the 13" Ultimate coil for sites you mention.

Monte

I hunt in 8 tones with the stock 10"DD and have had really good success in my local parks, even the trashy ones. I am really looking forward to the new small coil when White's officially releases it. I would like to see real-world feedback on it first though. I am sure the 7" Detech coil is a performer and since I happen to have 3 White's empty lower rods, I have room for both the Detech 7" and the new 5.3, possibly even the 950. I hope my wife doesn't read this.LOL

Hi Everyone, Thanks again for your replies. Great information to digest and act on. I am liking the MX Sport, found a 1807 large cent at 9" on edge the other day. Exciting

Monte-

Do you think your post on the upcoming small concentric coil for the MXS and MX7 might be useful as an individual thread? It would be nice to follow it, and I'll bet others out there are interested and may not have seen your reply buried in this thread.

ramairnut said:
I happen to have 3 White's empty lower rods, I have room for both the Detech 7" and the new 5.3, possibly even the 950. I hope my wife doesn't read this.LOL

[size=large]Brian would like the following added to YOUR Christmas Shopping List:

One each of the White's 6½" Concentric, 7" Detech Double-D and 950 Concentric for the MX Sport and MX-7 detector models.

:hot::hot::hot:
[/size]​

PS: Just get the last two for now, save some wrapping paper, and remind him he better be nice :inlove:, not naughty :nono:

if he wants the 6½" when it's released next year. That way you both come out winners !!

amcoins44 said:
I am a parks and schools coin/jewelry guy. I just never could get comfotable with the signals from the stock coil on the MS Sport. Seemed like lots of noise, and it just got tiresome.
I also hunt parks, schools, private yards, and similar urban grassy places like parking strips, old picnic areas, etc. I eagerly awaited a new model entry to 'upscale' the MXT All-Pro, which was at first the MX Sport, and now the MX-7 that shares the same circuitry and performance. As many know, the initial MX Sport's released had some glitches which have been resolved, but the two I first checked out at different dealer shops were nose-heavy, very noisy and erratic, and I did not care for the new 10" DD coil. I definitely didn't like the former 10", either, the 10" D2 DD.

The 10" standard coil on the MX Sport might be good for hunting in water with a submerged coil, but to me, on above-ground/dry land search's, it was fatiguing, uncomfortable, and I didn't care for the performance in iron littered sites. Maybe it's just me because I haven't found many round-shape Double-D coils of that size range that worked very well for me. Smaller to mid-sized DD coils on the right detector, that was designed to function well with a DD coil, can do okay. Even models with an elliptical DD like a 7X11 or even 8X11 feel more comfortable to me and have worked well in sparse-trash open areas.

amcoins44 said:
Besides easy pinpointing, the 950 has cleaned up the signals for me. I don't try for deep signals, but here in Michigan, dimes in the parks are common to hear at 6 inches with clean tones.
I agree. Better Pinpointing ability, cleaner, tighter numeric read-outs due to the Concentric design, and still preforms well on mid-depth to deeper located coins for me in my western/north-western USA region, much of with is rather mineralized ground while providing a clean, functional audio response.

amcoins44 said:
I have no water experience. My background before the MXS was a decade with the XLT, which I still think is a very capable machine. I love to customize. Makes me with the MXS had more tone values like the XLT.
I don't hunt 'in' water very much either, but was still interested in the MX Sport because it would at least be 'weatherproof' if caught in a summer thunderstorm that gets me wet while dashing for cover or my vehicle. Had to wait for 'the glitches to have fixes' and then came the word that a land-based unit would be out that was 'weatherproof,' and the new MX-7 is exactly the detector model I have been waiting for from White's. :thumbup:

I have owned plenty of XLT's since released, getting my first in early 1994 and owning my last one in 2015. That's twenty-one years with an XLT in my detector battery because it worked 'just right' for the different Coin Hunting site choices I had and helped find me a LOT of coins, trade tokens, other small artifacts ... and I can't forget the silver and gold rings and other jewelry items. While I did use my XLT's for some Relic Hunting tasks, it was most 'at home' when Coin & Jewelry Hunting various urban sites.

I did like the 950 coil on the XLT for the open grassy sites, but actually preferred the Royal 800 8" Concentric. Very decent performance and depth, but balanced better with the slightly lighter weight and more centered rod-mount point. Even then, the 6½" Concentric seemed to still get the most use as I worked trashier and brushier sites.

For Relic Hunting performance I didn't find the XLT's Tone ID very useful or pleasant to listen to once the trash amounts and density got bad, but I did use the Tone ID perhaps 90% of the time for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting. It worked well. I didn't/don't care for the multi Tone ID on the M6 or MXT Pro/All-Pro, using just the single tone, or preferring the 2-Tone Relic mode on the MXT Pro/All-Pro. I also prefer the 2-Tone audio of the MX=5.

With the MX-7, for typical Coin Hunting wants and needs, I like to use the 2-Tone, 4-Tone or 20-Tone audio ID options in the Coin & Jewelry program. The 8-Tone option, so far, just hasn't appealed to me like the others do. My unit is set to turn-on in 20-Tone in the C&J program.

Monte

I am almost always in the coin and jewelry program. I leave the tone ID at 20, but wouldn't mind even a little more resolution of tones thru the coins region; but now I'm getting picky.

Anyway, we have snow on the ground now and several days in a row below freezing, so I'll just be hunting vicariously for a while thru others reports and some youtube videos.

Monte said:
ramairnut said:
I happen to have 3 White's empty lower rods, I have room for both the Detech 7" and the new 5.3, possibly even the 950. I hope my wife doesn't read this.LOL

[size=large]Brian would like the following added to YOUR Christmas Shopping List:

One each of the White's 6½" Concentric, 7" Detech Double-D and 950 Concentric for the MX Sport and MX-7 detector models.

:hot::hot::hot:
[/size]​

PS: Just get the last two for now, save some wrapping paper, and remind him he better be nice :inlove:, not naughty :nono:

if he wants the 6½" when it's released next year. That way you both come out winners !!

Thanks Monte.That should take care of it right there. Either I get a new coil or a lumpy couch to sleep on for awhile.LOL Nah, my wife is really understanding with my hobbies ( only 3- HER,metal detecting and RC Crawler trucks). I will get that new 6-6 1/2 coil next spring/summer. I have done really well with the stock one so I would like to think that the success will continue, hopefully improve with that smaller coil, especially in the parks i will be hunting next season. Always good to have something to look forward to no matter how big or small. I am glad to hear that you are liking the MX7. Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas! Brian

ramairnut said:
I have done really well with the stock one so I would like to think that the success will continue, hopefully improve with that smaller coil, especially in the parks i will be hunting next season. Always good to have something to look forward to no matter how big or small.

:twodetecting: There is no doubt in my mind that using both a bigger/standard coil and a great smaller-size coil will help with your success afield next year.

ramairnut said:
I am glad to hear that you are liking the MX-7.

:jump: Yes, I am quite happy with the MX-7 as it, and the three coils I own, especially the 6½" Concentric, are going to make a great 'fit' in my detector arsenal. :thumbup:

ramairnut said:
Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas! Brian

:sadwalk: I always do the best I can to have a Merry Christmas, but sadly there is no "... and yours" for four years now. I'd put one on my Christmas Wish List, but they would have to enjoy metal detecting, hunting, fishing and camping ... in my 2018 camp trailer I bought to use while metal detecting, hunting and fishing. :) Just has to be a good gal who'll put up with a kind-hearted old phart, but I don't think there's a very good supply of those gals around. Oh well, I still have time to write a letter to Santa. :lmfao:

Monte