Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX Sport "muddy tones" and weak volume

HEBEGB

I am wondering if maybe I have a problem with an updated machine. I have nice crisp sweet tones when using the Sport's external speaker, but the stock lite headphones sound dull and muddy. I tried my Killer B Wasps and also my Jolly Rogers, which the Jolly Rogers sounded most like the external speaker tones, but the volume was cut to maybe 60% vs the stock phones. Switching on the limiter cuts that to about 20% (barely audible). This is with the factory default settings and the master volume turned all the way up to 30. Also, even though the stock phones are much louder than the Killer B's and Jolly Rogers, they still are not as loud as either of these premium phones on other detectors. Has anyone else experienced either or both of these issues? Is it my machine?

'Are you using the headphones that came in the box with the MXS - there's a Volume wheel on the cable - turned up full?

It might also be an 'OHMS' issue - non-compatible for full driver response on the Premium headsets you also tried?'

Thanks Des, and yes I am using the headphones that came with it and have the adjustable volume on the headphones cranked all the way up. I was thinking it was maybe an ohms compatibility issue too, that maybe it was designed to work with piezoelectric speakers that are used in waterproof headphones. How does yours sound with the stock headphones? Is it crisp and clear like it is on the external speaker?

Mine is pretty loud. I had to cut the volume back on mine. I'm running the waterproof headphones though. I haven't tried the phones that came with it but I did use my Pro-Golds and they worked fine on it too.

Stock non waterproof on my unit,,, sound bad,, high tone on a quarter sounds too low.

Pro golds installed and they sound very good.

HEBEGB said:
Thanks Des, and yes I am using the headphones that came with it and have the adjustable volume on the headphones cranked all the way up. I was thinking it was maybe an ohms compatibility issue too, that maybe it was designed to work with piezoelectric speakers that are used in waterproof headphones. How does yours sound with the stock headphones? Is it crisp and clear like it is on the external speaker?

"Yes, I used the supplied phones and the audio > thru them was good.

Back in 2000, I became aware of an issue some Customers had with their then new Sovereign's and some complained of [ a depth loss ] compared to their friends using the same machine, settings etc.
We traced the issue to other brand headphones they used on their Minelab's that had been supplied with "White's", "Garrett" & "Fisher" and other store bought cheapies.
There was an Ohms incompatibility as the Sovereign demanded a 32 Ohm rating and the other sets were wired "differently" and didn't produce enough audio strength & resonance.
There was up to a 2" [ depth loss ] when using other headsets instead of the phones Minelab sold with the Sovereign - "the RPG brand" if I remember correctly"

Thank you Squirrel1, glad to hear that. Aren't Pro Golds and Killer B's the same headphones, just sold under different names? My Killer B's do sound good, but the volume is nowhere near what it should be.

I have very sensitive ears due to ringing in my ears which I have had for years no . I agree with Mark that you can have the volume to loud on detectors. I'm only 33 years old and I realized at a younger age than most that the body is very fragile.