Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX Sport or Kruzer Multi for submersion

Tajue17

I'm looking for a submergible unit that's is guaranteed not to leak...... if it has pre-programs that's a bonus too because I need it for one thing and don't want to spend much time learning anything I have other machines and just need this for one specific purpose, as long as it can hit rings and clad I don't care about the bells and whistles it has.... I work underground in the city and I cannot lose pay because I have to go back and fourth to the post office to send something back to company because of problems,,,, I need something that won't leak, I need something reliable.. old machine or new machine what comes to mind with you guys????

I do own both of the machines you're asking about, but I am more than a little hesitant to consider either machine as being guaranteed not to leak. Both are rated as waterproof - the Sport down to 10 feet and the MMK down to 15 feet (I believe - can't recall the exact rating). I can't be of much help with regards to the submersion thing since I have never submerged a machine (nor do I plan to). I don't dive, but I do wade in shallow water on occasion.

For me the MX Sport is the easier machine to use, but that is entirely the result of owning/using other Whites machines and a familiararity with the way the Whites machines work. The Multi Kruzer is not a difficult machine to learn or use, but (for me) it isn't as natural as the MX Sport is. I have to think about it (with the MMK) a bit more than I do the MX Sport. With time and use, that will disappear.

I'm short on time, so I'll mention a few things (off the top of my head) about each machine. The following is not the full list of features for either machine.

The MX Sport has programs such as coin & jewelry, relic, prospecting, etc.. A user can turn the machine on, choose a program, and start hunting (if desired) with no more changes. The machine tracks ground balance, but it will work better if the user ground balances the machine before hunting. Options include tones, discrimination levels, notching, frequency shift (for EMI). A new MX Sport comes with wired waterproof headphones (they're quite good in my opinion). An adaptor is available so other headphones can be used (that option won't be waterproof). The MX Sport uses AA batteries (:geek:.

The MMK has programs such as general, deep, two tone, three tone, and four tone. A user can turn the machine on, choose the program, ground balance, and start hunting. The machine tracks ground balance but works much better if ground balanced prior to hunting. Options include choosing one of the three frequencies, frequency shift (for EMI), discrimination levels, notching, tone shift. A new MMK comes with wireless headphones (not waterproof). Waterproof headphones (wired) are available. The MMK has an internal battery (same with the included headphones) that is charged via a usb port. There is an external battery holder (AA batteries) available for the MMK.

Both machines are very well made. Both machines are backed by companies that have stellar records when it comes to supporting their products (and customers).

The MX Sport is the heavier of the two machines, but it swings very well and is nicely balanced (my opinion). The MMK is lighter and also nicely balanced (my opinion).

Both machines can detect items at very good depth. It is possible that the MMK is a bit deeper (from what I've read) but I have not experienced anything that proves it to me. (That could be because I don't have nearly as much time on the MMK). Both machines are very sensitive and have good recovery speed. Both machines unmask very well. I think the MMK is the faster machine, but not by a lot.

At this point I lean a bit more to the MX Sport - simply because I have used it more and am more comfortable with it. I have no issues with the machine: it works extremely well. I like the screen (of the MX Sport) better than I like the screen on the MMK (its screen is very good though). I like the user interface (MX Sport) better - but that's because I am used to the UI of Whites machines. I prefer the sounds of the Sport - again, because I am used to them.

I like the ability to use one of three different frequencies on the MMK. I do like the UI of the MMK - it is relatively simple and you don't have to dig through sub menues; everything is right there on the screen. I love the wireless headphones - they're light in weight, comfortable, and not nearly as hot as the wired (waterproof) headphones on the MX Sport. I like the vibrate option on the MMK - enough so that I do not plan on getting the wired waterproof headphones. The MMK is better is salt water. The MX Sport is ok in salt water, while the MMK is excellent. I'd call it a draw in fresh water. I love the fact that the MMK can be updated by the user (via downloads made available by Makro).

The VDI numbers on both machines are fairly steady on good targets. Both machines can get a bit jumpy (VDI numbers) when the target is deeper. The stock coils (on both machines) are good coils, but I much prefer smaller concentric coils (for both machines). With the stock coils, both machines can be fooled by bottle caps. The MX Sport can be set up to discern the difference rather easily, while the MMK (for me) is not quite as easy to tell the difference (it gives a bit of a scratchy tone on bottle caps, but the tone is still very close to a clad quarter). Again - I think much of that is due to my inexperience with the MMK.

Assuming you're talking about fresh water hunting, I think either machine will be a great machine for your intended use. If you're hunting salt water the choice should probably lean more to the MMK. That's my take on it anyway. I'd hate to be without either machine, but I'd probably choose the Sport if I were forced to get rid of one of the two. Just because I know it better.

You asked about other machines so I'll mention a few that you might want to take a look at.

Whites Beach Hunter - no longer in production, but you might find a dealer who has one in stock. If so, it will come with a two year warranty. This is a dual frequency machine. No programs - all metal or discriminate are your choices. It is waterproof to 25 feet and comes with wired waterproof headphones. It is a deep machine. It's also a heavy machine. Made for salt water hunting, but will excel in fresh water too. Not the machine I'd choose for land hunting - but it can do that as well. It has three lights on the side of the box - hunt in all metal and watch the lights to get a very good idea of what the target might be. Comes with a 12 inch coil - covers ground quickly but not the best for unmasking. Coil is not user changeable. I do own one, but don't use it all that often - only when I know I'm going to the beach, and then only when I plan to hunt in the water. The box can be belt-mounted (to ease the weight).

Minelab Equinox.

Don't own one. Never seen one in the wild either. Reports are generally very positive. I don't know one way or the other, but there are two versions and the machines are very popular. Probably worth looking into.

Makro is supposedly bringing a new waterproof machine out. Rumors have it that the new machine will be a multi-frequency machine (using more than one frequency at a time). No timeline that I've heard, but the machine should be interesting.

PI machines

Several makes and models. I have no personal experience with any of them. Might be a consideration if deep is your thing and trash isn't an issue. Whites has a new waterproof TDI Pro out - interesting machine (IMO). I'd get one if I could come up with a good excuse.

Fisher is supposedly coming out with a new machine (Manta). If the rumors are correct, it will be very deep and it will discriminate out trash. Time will tell, but if it performs as it supposedly does, it will be a big deal for a lot of detectorists. I heard Fisher was shooting for a fall release. We'll soon find out if that happens.

wow that's a ton of info and thank you a lot,, I think I'm narrowing it down to the sport and kruzer,, I'm thinking I will be more into fresh water though.