Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX Sport small coil 6x10 vs 7 inch

cedarswamp

Those of you that have used both coils on your mxs what would you choose for a go to coil 6x10 dd or 7 inch dd, my guess would be the 6x10 best for coverage and maybe a slight loss of depth over the 7 inch so it would be better to get first hand opinion ,,,,,CEDAR

I had the MX Sport but didn't care for the weight and general 'feel' on the model. However, the MX-7 is a far better feeling model. Much lighter and better balanced.

Also, the 6X10 DD is not what I consider to be a 'small' search coil. To me a smaller size coil is something les than the old 'standard' coils we used that were 8" in diameter. The 6X10 DD on a White's is comparable with the 5X9½ open-frame DD's I use on a Nokta CoRe and Relic which, to me, are a mid-sized search coil.

When I bought my MX-7 I also bought the Detech-made 7" DD for the White's MX series, plus I got a 6½" round Concentric coil at the same time. Those two I consider to be in the smaller-class, plus they don't make anything smaller size. Earlier last year I also had ... briefly ... a 6X10 DD to check out. Didn't care for the weight, balance or performance. Yes, they might provide a slight edge in 'coverage' but only for shallower depths. I got rid of that coil.

I do like both the 6½" Concentric and 7" DD. I guess it also depends on the hunting we do, and if I am doing some freshwater hunting I like the 7" DD because it is an open-frame design and that keeps it from being buoyant in the water. For day to day detecting I would use the 7" DD anytime over the 6X10 DD, but for me the 7" DD is a 'back-up' coil for special applications, and that's because the 6═" Concentric makes a much better coil for urban coin and jewelry use, plus it Discriminates more accurately, and can get you a lit of an edge over the 7" DD in depth-of-detection. Also, Concentric coils generally are better Discriminators in an iron infested site, and those are where I spend the bulk of my detecting time.

So my smaller coil favorite on any MX version is the 6½" Concentric with the 7" DD coming in a close but respectable 2nd and often selected for 'specialty' needs.

Monte

Nice write up Monte.

Comparing only the Anfibio and the MX7, which do you prefer for urban hunting and with which coil?

Again comparing only the Anfibio and the MX7, which do you prefer for your ghost town sites and also with which coil?

Thanks you

El

Thanks for the input Monte the MXS is a little nose heavy with the 10 inch dd would help in water, on land it seems like the 950 concentric would help that, the 6.5 concentric seems like going back to the 5900 days lol but I have to agree with you on separation and I.D. with concentric s.I had a 6x10 on my MXT but now use a 6x8 sef which has better performance. I imagine performance is parallel between both 6x10s on the MXT vs MXS but didn't know for sure thats why I asked.I only had this machine three days tones sound fluted compared to my MXT not having that sharp response but setting modulation to 0 helped. Do you really see the tones or over all performance on the mx7 or mxs a benefit to give this machine more time in the field over the mxt? thanks again,,,,,CEDAR

El said:
Nice write up Monte.
You're welcome, El. Of course, the reply I made was directed more towards the White's MX-7 and White's search coils. Then you go and ask a couple of tougher questions to answer here on this Main Comparison Forum, and that's making me think through my replies.

El said:
Comparing only the Anfibio and the MX7, which do you prefer for urban hunting and with which coil?
To me, 'Urban Hunting' relates to typical Coin Hunting in parks, schools, easement, yards and other common people activity sites. I have enjoyed the MX-7 for 15 months since I got it, and 99% of my 'urban' hunting is with the round, 6½" Concentric coil. It works very well and is actually the coil I used most often. In the more open park or sports field areas, or large years with minimal trash, the standard 950 is 'OK' but I just never really liked that coil on most any model. With the MX-7 I only use the 7" DD made by Detech for White's when working the search coil in water, and that is very seldom. The 950 I have used less than 30 minutes in 15 months. The 6½" Concentric gets virtually full-time use on the MX-7, and I enjoy this model for Coin Hunting most average places. I am, however, slightly limited working close to metal structures such as playground equipment and metal fences or other objects.

With the Anfibio Multi I have three search coils I rely on. The 7" Concentric which is what I keep mounted about full-time because it is an excellent performing coil for general-purpose use. The standard 11" round DD which I seldom use because I don't hunt wide-open / sparse-target areas very much. However, I prefer that coil on the Anfibio over the 950 on the MX-7 so 'Urban Hunting' in open areas I prefer the Anfibio. I also bought the smaller 5" DD coil for the Anfibio and it works well when hunting close to poles and other metal structures, so for those 'Urban Hunting' situations I prefer the Anfibio.

So I guess, in general, if limited to ONLY these two models to choose from, I would take the Anfibio Multi and three coils I have over the MX-7 and the 3 coils for it.

El said:
Again comparing only the Anfibio and the MX7, which do you prefer for your ghost town sites and also with which coil?
Referring to the comments I made in the prior response about the two models and three coils I have for each of them, I would just about never have a use for either larger-size coil because 95+% of my ghost towns and other similar older locations have too much debris, especially nails and other ferrous junk to contend with.

That brings me to the MX-7 first and I really haven't any use for the 7" DD coil because it doesn't discriminate as well as the 6½" Concentric and has more difficulty with iron targets so far as visual display info. The 6½" Concentric works well, handles nails and other iron junk better, so the MX-7, with the 6½" Concentric coil, is the combination I use 95% to 98% of the time. In those old sites that combination performs well for me. Better than most of the competitor's models I own or have tried in ghost town applications ... with two exceptions.

Next up is the Anfibio Multi where I now have an advantage for tackling those really challenging nail infested sites. The 7" Concentric provides similar behavior in trashy old places like the MX-7 w/6½" Concentric. Slightly different in detector performance but still somewhat similar. But when the trash level gets really dense, the Anfibio Multi can use the smaller 5" DD coil and that, alone, can make a notable difference in the results. As with the MX-7, the Anfibio Multi is better than most of the competing makes and models in the really tough ghost towns and similar sites ... with two exceptions.

I know, not quite the answer you were hoping for so I'll put it a little differently:

• I like both models.

• Both can hunt urban as well as rough and rugged rural locations.

• Both have different strengths that the other doesn't offer.

If I was pressed for an answer to pick just one of these two to handle both applications, I'd be trying to decide between the 2-Tone and 3-Tone modes of the Anfibio, which are the two modes I use the most, plus the Deep mode, compared against the MX-7 in 2-Tone and 4-Tone. Advantage = Anfibio.

If selecting based upon available, useful search coils? Advantage = Anfibio.

If the determining factor was how well the devices handled a stack of US Silver coins? Advantage = MX-7

Due to my health and limiting mobility and bad back and a need to consider weight and balance? Advantage = MX-7

I know. How about an easy answer? :confused:

Okay, that's simple today because I have BOTH a fully outfitted MX-7 and Anfibio Multi so, if I have to pick just ONE of them, I can go alphabetically and take the Anfibio off for some 'Urban Hunting' one day then take a jaunt to a productive ghost town the next.

Then, on the next couple of trips, I'll hit the same locations for the same duration, but take the MX-7, instead. :clapping:

For me and the Urban places I prefer to hunt, I might grab the MX-7 first, but for the Ghost Town littered sites, it would be the Anfibio Multi ... IF I were having to select from only these two models. Fortunately, the two other detectors I hinted to earlier that are my must-haves for any dense iron contaminated site are my Nokta FORS CoRe and Relic units. They handle the toughest iron Test Sample challenges I have better than any competitive make or model I have owned or used. So I don't really need to pick between the two, unless really forced to. Oh, and for those 'Urban' favorite places, I have two favorite Tesoro models and two Target ID models that are all lighter weight than the MX-7.

I have been, and am continuing, trying to thin out some of the 'extra' detectors I have had on hand lately, such as some extra choice older devices I use in my seminars and some duplicate models I have. I'm having to face reality and trim weight. Not just my own, but the heavier detectors as my doctors have encouraged me to look for a different hobby. Thy have been saying that since '91 as I am not supposed to be any repetitive bending, stooping and standing or twisting. As it is I have having to cancel my plans for a detecting jaunt to Portland on the western side of the state due to health. I was going to pull out early tomorrow morning and take 5 days to get in some detecting when they have warmer and huntable weather. Instead, it looks like I'll be visiting the folks in vascular on Friday at the VA Hospital to find out what the issues are with the swelling in my lower left leg.

I sure envy all the folks who enjoy better health than I do, but at least I get to enjoy the memories I have from mall those wonder-years in this great sport. And once we address the cause of my current problem I have a good set of detectors to continue on having fun ... just working to trim down to the lightest ones I can for my betterment. Others can pick an MX-7 or an Anfibio and be assured they have a very good detector in-hand regardless of where they want to hunt.

Monte

Thanks Monte for the excellent reply. Lot of food for thought there. Now I know why Gregg has stuck to his old faithful's.

Thanks again,

El

El said:
Thanks Monte for the excellent reply. Lot of food for thought there. Now I know why Gregg has stuck to his old faithful's.

Thanks again,

El
One of the things I enjoy about my metal detecting and metal detector experience has been the fun of learning all I can about the detectors I acquire or borrow to better understand their strengths and weaknesses and learn how to get the most performance out of those that appeal to me and I keep in my working detector outfit. Over a half century of enjoying not just using them for the fun of detecting and the wonderful amount of finds I have made, but also getting enjoyment out of working with various makes and models as all he different engineers kept trying to figure out new ways to make them work, new design features, and the experiencing the changes that have come thorough this progression, both favorable and some not some pleasant, to get us where we are today.

There's always "food for thought" when it comes to figuring out the pros and cons, likes:thumbup: and dislikes:thumbdown:, performance:clap: and failure:rant: for different hunting needs when it comes to understanding our metal detectors. It didn't take me long to figure out that none of them are perfect, and that was in the much simpler days back in 1971 and '72.

As for using these wonderful devices, we have been cabin fever bound this winter but we have had two days of clear and mostly sunny weather and warming into the low-to-mid 40° range. Gregg & I are hoping a site will be huntable and not muddy or have frozen ground and we're going to try and get our first hunt in for 2019 today. I know I have my *Old Faithful's* loaded up and ready to go, and I only put in one new, current-production detector today, the Fisher F44 w/7" Concentric coil.

I'm taking a few of my very proven-afield but discontinued devices: Nokta CoRe, Nokta Relic, Teknetics Omega 8000 and Tesoro Bandido II µMAX. I'm sure Gregg will also have his Relic & CoRe along for a day of enjoyment as well. We've both pulled silver out of the place and hoping to see just that as we kick of our 2019 Detecting Season.

Monte

Monte said:
For me and the Urban places I prefer to hunt, I might grab the MX-7 first, but for the Ghost Town littered sites, it would be the Anfibio Multi ... IF I were having to select from only these two models. Fortunately, the two other detectors I hinted to earlier that are my must-haves for any dense iron contaminated site are my Nokta FORS CoRe and Relic units. They handle the toughest iron Test Sample challenges I have better than any competitive make or model I have owned or used. So I don't really need to pick between the two, unless really forced to. Oh, and for those 'Urban' favorite places, I have two favorite Tesoro models and two Target ID models that are all lighter weight than the MX-7.

Monte

That is high praise for the CoRe and Relic indeed. There is something really special about how the CoRe unmasks with that 5" DD coil.