Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX5 audio?

BarberBill

Is the audio the same with the MX5 as the Prizm6T and other Prizm/Coinmaster series (soft, mellow tone)? Or, is it more similar to the MXT series (sharper, somewhat blaring? Why do I care? - because the soft tone is the most pertinent thing I dislike about the Przim series whereas I much prefer the tone of my MXT. I'm considering adding an MX5 to my aresenal, but not if the tone is similar to the Prizm series.
Thanks for your imput,
BB

BarberBill said:
Is the audio the same with the MX5 as the Prizm6T and other Prizm/Coinmaster series (soft, mellow tone)?
No, not really. You have three Tone ID options. A Single Tone for everything, or a 2-Tone that gives a lower bass-like audio for most ferrous target, and a higher pitched tone for non-ferrous. This is how I hunt with my MX5 99% of the time. I like the audio pitch and 'brilliance' of the higher, non-ferrous audio tone. You also can select an 8-Tone ID which isn't bad, for those who like a multi-tone option. I might use iot 1% of the time.

BarberBill said:
Or, is it more similar to the MXT series (sharper, somewhat blaring?
It is 'bolder' or you could say 'sharper,' depending upon your pick of 1, 2 or 8-Tone audio. You have the ability to enhance the audio as well using the Target Volume adjustment. The default setting is '50,' but with my impaired hearing [size=small](and the fact that I like a good strong response most of the time)[/size] I set my MX5 at '75.'

BarberBill said:
Why do I care? - because the soft tone is the most pertinent thing I dislike about the Przim series whereas I much prefer the tone of my MXT. I'm considering adding an MX5 to my aresenal, but not if the tone is similar to the Prizm series.
Thanks for your imput,
BB
That was one thing that I, and my poor hearing, didn't like about the Prizm/Coinmaster series, and even the Classic series when using headphones. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector, but there are some very good choices out there, and I feel the MX5 is one of them.

I have a new detector coming to me next week and I know it will sound good for me, too, because I also have and use two sets of headphones. Quality headphones help at times, and my Killer B 'Wasps' and Killer B II's are my 'back-up' sets, and my primary-use headphones are the White's Pro Star's.

I encourage you to consider getting the MX5, especially if you have some good quality headphones. It's a very decent performing White's model. Just pick what suits you, like the 2-Tone ID audio that I prefer, and get out detecting!

Monte

By adjustable target volume do you mean modulated audio? Or is the modulation built in and only heard at Preset sens. or signal balance settings like the MXT or M6? Everytime I ask this question I never get a clear answer about it on the MX-5?

Hi Harold,ILL.

The MX5 has a modulated audio, it is built in and has no adjustment. The Target Volume adjustment is how loud you want it over a surface target, I set mine to maximum and adjust the head phones down in volume.

Thanks Monte and others. I have an MXT with a pretty complete coil selection, so the MX5 seems like a very good choice to add to the arsenal.
BB

I really like the audio of the MX-5 based on the few videos I've watched. Would really like to try one out!

The mx5 is the Sweetest sounding machine I've ever owned. If you hunt silver,there's no mistaking the ultra-high pitch. looking for rings? The foil and tab tones stand out. Want to laugh your derriere off-listen to some weird trash objects. How d
does 'bedoodelybonk' grab you? I said I probably wouldn't use the 8 tones-I was wrong! Geez, I love this machine!!!

Bedoodleybonk always grabs me! Guess I'll be finding out by about Thursday if it does anyway!

Monte tests machines inside and out and knows more than I'll ever think about knowing. But I have two machines I'll never part with- the Omega and the MX5, and I've parted with many, many machines over the years, some regretfully. The MX5 just works and is built much better than other machines that look similar. When you pick it up, you know you're holding White's quality, and I'm generally not a White's fan. It's got more features that I need over the MXT, is balanced better, and its depth is similar. I use the 5x10 coil mainly, and while it's not as deep as the bigger coils, it covers a lot of ground and can be worked in the nastiest areas without hanging up. But it will dig dimes at 8 inches in pretty hot ground, which is generally more than enough, and it separates well.

to hang onto, as is the Teknetics Omega, my favorite Tek. model.

If you have a detector you like and learn it, then keep one around to feel comfortable when heading out detecting. And, as you mentioned, it has ample adjustment features and very decent in-the-field performance. I personally prefer the 6½" and 9" spider Concentric coils, but we all have our favorites.

I hope you have decent weather to get out and enjoy the hunt.

Monte

Ah the poor Omega and MX5 got thrown out of the backseat for the new girls in school.

:cool: I suggest going to Youtube and look up these detectors you have questions about. Some of the videos show the guy detecting without headphones and you can hear exactly what the unit sounds like.:detecting::whites:

White's Forums have been some of the slowest, least active forums for quite a while. Kind of sad and I wish they would pick up, especially with more questions and discussions about current models, not older, out-of-date and what ought to be out-of-service models that don't perform up to modern-era standards.

Example, it is 3:35 PM Pacific Time here in Oregon and this, I believe, is the first post made here today.

Barber Bill posted this thread initially back on January 2nd. I responded to his most on January 3rd about the MX5 audio. Now, over 3 months later we see it resurface. I can state that I am not 100% "brand loyal," but I do have my favorite models from those manufacturers I favor. And I favor them, and specific models, because they provide me the build quality I want and need, couple with very functional in-the-field performance that I have to have for the challenging sites I hunt.

During several months last year I bought and evaluated several newer detectors, to include two Teknetics Euro-Tec Pro's and two Fisher F19's. I used them with their standard search coils and with accessory search coils. I liked one of them more than the other, but for my types of hunting sites, the Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and White's MXT All-Pro were easier to operate, very functional, and provided me better performance [size=small](and results)[/size] and remained in my personal detector battery, the MXT All-Pro stilly main-use unit. The new kids on the block were sold or traded.

Since January 3rd I have had had the opportunity, and pleasure, to evaluate a could more detectors and, as usual, I pit them against my known-performance preferences. This time, however, working a wide range of search coils on my Tesoro and White's, and selecting challenging test scenarios and visiting trashy old barns, homesteads and a few other such sites, the two newer, foreign-build detectors easily surpassed the performance I had been relying on. Surpassed them to the point that my two older favorites are still favorite, but occupy by 'secondary' or 'back-up' models, and I now have three newer detectors as my Primary-Use units. I will shop for a good deal on one more detector I like that will also serve as a 'back-up' model that will do quite well as a 'loaner unit', too, when needed.

Now, to your two recent posts in this thread.:

Shenandoah Digger said:
Monte tests machines inside and out and knows more than I'll ever think about knowing.
No, we can ALL "think about knowing," and all I do is get a grip on as many detector handles as possible for over five decades to learn all I can. You can do the same thing.

Shenandoah Digger said:
But I have two machines I'll never part with- the Omega and the MX5, and I've parted with many, many machines over the years, some regretfully.
We are in agreement with part of your statement ... "I've parted with many, many machines over the years, some regretfully" ... , but I have also parted with many, many more that were total failures, close-to-failures, terribly physically packaged, too heavy, lacked adequate search coils, ate batteries, had poor headphone jack locations, didn't have sufficient controls, didn't have practical or functional controls, .. or a combination of these.

As for the Teknetics Omega and White's MX5, I like them both for some day-to-day urban Coin Hunting, and I feel that are very good units and satisfactory for many who like their features and performance for their hunting needs.. That said, I currently have neither of them. In the near future, unless something new comes along that interests me more, I do plan to put another Omega back into my personal detector arsenal.

Why the Omega and not the MX5? Because I prefer having an automated GB that is 'locked' or 'lockable,' and I also like the Omega's manual GB option. I also prefer a variable Discrimination adjustment over a segmented or notch-type Discrimination. The MX5 does work better in a dense iron nail infested site than the Omega [size=small](such as taking on my Nail Board Performance Test)[/size], but I did finally encounter a few sites at some heavily iron littered ghost towns and such that caused some issues with the MX5 due to the constant Auto-Trac circuitry that couldn't be 'locked.'

Why in the world White's didn't incorporate a 'Lock Track' option on the MX5 when it is on the Prizm 6T and Coin GT left me wondering why they did that? Was it because someone up-the-line put a "hurry-up" on it to get it into production as it was? Those kinds of things have, and do, happen through the years and it's a shame when an important feature isn't included in a new detector design. Of the two, I think the Omega would make a better 'loaner' for me to have on-hand for friends, family and land-owners when I want to offer them a detector to use when trying to gain access to their property.

Shenandoah Digger said:
The MX5 just works and is built much better than other machines that look similar. When you pick it up, you know you're holding White's quality, and I'm generally not a White's fan.
I AM generally a White's fan, especially when it comes to build quality. I do acknowledge when there are poor designs, however, such as a headphone jack on the right side of the control housing. So many quality models with a rear-mounted headphone jack, to include the lower-cost/very efficient Classic series they had and never should have quit making, and they had to goof up on a six-hundred dollar model. :shrug:

Still, the MX5 IS a very good detector, but for some people or some applications, it does fall a little short. It all depends upon what we like to do, but is a quality unit for those who need it and like it.

Shenandoah Digger said:
It's got more features that I need over the MXT, is balanced better, and its depth is similar.
I like the separate Target Volume control, and I like the 2-Tone mode, but the MXT Pro has that in the Relic mode. Generally I like the MX5 for casual, urban type Coin Hunting, but for me and the types of sites I hunt and features I want/need, the MXT Pro [size=small](or MXT All-Pro, the same detector)[/size] is the more versatile and better-performing of the two. For Me.

Shenandoah Digger said:
I use the 5x10 coil mainly, and while it's not as deep as the bigger coils, it covers a lot of ground and can be worked in the nastiest areas without hanging up.
Of all the DD coils White's makes for the MXT 'family' of detectors, the 6X10 [size=small](which I think measures closer to 5½X10 if memory is working right)[/size] would be the one and only DD coil I would use on the MXT Pro. I have and use only two coils on the MXT Pro, the 9" Spider Concentric for more open, sparse-target sites, and the 6½" Concentric [size=small](the 5.3 Eclipse)[/size] for everything else. I have worked the 6½" Concentric and 6X10 DD coils side-by-side in many different types of sites and I got slightly better depth and overall better performance dense iron littered sites with the 6½", so I settled on it.

Shenandoah Digger said:
But it will dig dimes at 8 inches in pretty hot ground, which is generally more than enough, and it separates well.
Yep, ample depth of detection for most any site.

Shenandoah Digger said:
Ah the poor Omega and MX5 got thrown out of the backseat for the new girls in school.
If your reference is about the Nokta FORS CoRe and Makro Racer, you are correct. I have been thinning out a lot of detectors in my inventory the past 6 to 8 months and was content with my MXT Pro as the Primary-Use detector. I kind of loaned out the Omega I had, when I had too many detectors, and sold it to a friend figuring I'd replace it with a new Version 6. I'll replace that when I sell my XLT and Outlaw, the last two I have to part with, and then I'll be comfortable with my stable of detectors.

The MXT Pro, which I personally feel is the best all-purpose model in White's current line-up, will stay a part of my detector arsenal. I doubt they have anything on the horizon to replace it, but if they come out with something new I will give it an evaluation, as well, and see if it makes a good fit for me. It will take a new a improved design to best the MXT Pro. For the types of sites I hunt and for comfort for me and my impaired health, the FORS and Racer met that challenge.

To be honest, I think these two models, with similar modes and adjustment features, and with the excellent search coil design to complement the circuitry design, make a great example of what White's engineering stay ought to be working on competing with. White's took a wrong turn, in my opinion, going to the Spectra series and moving on to more higher-cost detectors. The industry, as a whole, has been trending more to better low-end offerings, and more top-end performers that have been in the $650 to $900 price range. The FORS CoRe and Racer are two great examples, and we can also look at offerings like the AT Pro and AT Gold or Omega. Other versatile detectors that are more competitively priced.

So, Yes, the MX5 is a good detector, has good performance, and I liked it and used it a lot. But I only have room for so many detec tors on my back seat or in ,my back-up reserve. It lost out.

Monte

Hi Monte,

...I have about 70 hours on my MX5 and have never run into any ground balance issues (that I know of) in the thick iron that you spoke of.

...It's been in some nasty iron riddled places too, I'm running MX5 in the Coin mode 2 tone, all-metal accepted, 8 bars of Sens. and the 5.3 Eclipse coil.

...When set up this way in closely spaced small iron... it will sound off with a machine gun staccato low tones and get a high tone squeak on non-ferrous targets right in middle of the low tones.

...I have mild ground conditions here, so that may make a difference on how the MX5 operates in heavy iron.

Monte.........Here is my main question about the MX5 in heavy iron, what is the MX5 acting like when it tracks out of a nice ground balance?

Hi Harrold, Hows it going? Are you getting out lately or are you still frozen......

Like I told you over the phone, mine does not have a tone or "audio glitch"........ I can't speak for the rest of the MX5 owners, maybe someone other than me would chime in on this subject, I'm curious myself....

PS; the only time I saw a video on the 'glitch' it would make a lower tone in {Audio 2 Tone} on the nickel right after swamping the filters with iron! I told the guy making the video that if it was in {Audio 1 Tone} it would be the same low tone. That is why I run the MX5 in Audio Tone 1 with nails Disc'd out in heavy iron. It works for me...lol