Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX5 ... first time out

I got 2 full hours of detecting in today with the MX5 & left feeling pretty familiar with the controls & good about it overall.
Started out in a wet sandy tot lot that's usually covered up with fresh coin drops so I could try out some different settings & wasn't disappointed.
Inside of 40 minutes I pulled $4.30 in various combo's including 2 small spills.
I did find one 1960 quarter @ 5" that was within 6" of a bent up rusty square nail right along the sidewalks edge.

Hunted a volley ball court in the park "on the grass" & found a small 10K pinky ring that came in a solid 8 @ 7" that appeared to have been dropped & then ran over by a lawn mower a few times before settling.
The MX5 is easily fooled by wet charcoal bits & small pieces of iron ore of which this area has a BUNCH of, they become easily ignored after digging a few, just digging clean sounding hits kept me busy enough. :detecting:
This area is also covered up with small pieces of foil in every combo known to man, it can give plenty of phantom signals in the wet sand too but sounds to good when it first hits to not dig.

Getting to know the MX5 so far has been a pleasure, no big surprises, no let downs to speak of, I think Whites got it right !

One more thing, this unit is LITE & easy to swing for hours, which is right down my alley since I'm getting OLD.

Later .... Mike

Nice report Mike,

I know that this detector has simple settings and that is what I like about it. I appreciate them too, because I've been there with the slightly complicated XLT and the mind boggling DFX menu driven set-ups. Simple is good, the MX5 has just enough settings to get good performance out of it, BTW just curious about your settings, like were you using 8 tone, 2 tone or 1 tone? Also, what about the setting on the DISC mode? Thanks

Settings, mostly no disc, medium threshold, volume high, sensitivity as high possible & still stable.

I tried both coin & beach modes, also tried all of the tone options although I opted to run it mostly in coin "wide open, no disc" & 8 tones because I wanted to TRY to associate the targets since I knew I'd get several repeats in this tot lot.
Have hunted with multi tones detectors for years & years including every Minelab FBS muti tone platform released & found that a person either has the ear & patience for it or they don't. Some people can't put up with all the noise but it doesn't bother me because my mind just ignores the bad busy tones & keys in on the softer clean sounding stuff.
After I've had some time with a new detector I tend to hunt mostly by sound & rarely check the screen until I hear what I'm looking for.
Not meaning to say I don't appreciate the simplicity in single or 2 tone audio because I do (depends on the detector) ... but if the sound nuances are good enough to the ear, I can hunt successfully with it no matter what name brand.
The sound quality of the MX5 seems to be plenty good enough with quality headphones to hear the nuances I'm use to hearing & not having to put ice on my shoulder after the hunt is nice too due to it's weight. I suspect I can swing this detector all day without any problems. One thing I noticed before digging the ring was the tone souned clean & robust although being in the foil range didn't have that scratchy sound on the back end of the tone like most foil, it was absolutely solid, that makes my odds of digging gold a little better in my mind.

You won't be disappointed with the performance MX5, I have had mine for 8 months and it's a killer on coins. I wanted a detector with just enough controls with out going overboard and tone ID and the MX5 filled the need I was looking for. I started with a Whites 40 years ago and have used many different makes and models since I started but I always came back to Whites. If you ever need customer service you will find its #1 and the turn around is quick. Anthony at the repair center does a great job. The controls are simple but it does give you options, I run mine with the sensitivity as high as the area allows, 2 tone when running the discrimination, 8 tone when detecting with no discrimination. Volume at whatever is comfortable, the stock 9in coil has good depth and the number ID is right on. If you want a detector mostly for coin hunting and jewelry the MX5 is for you. With fast recovery and good discrimination, tone ID and accurate number ID it will fit your needs.:thumbup:

rodbuster said:
You won't be disappointed with the performance MX5, I have had mine for 8 months and it's a killer on coins. I wanted a detector with just enough controls with out going overboard and tone ID and the MX5 filled the need I was looking for. I started with a Whites 40 years ago and have used many different makes and models since I started but I always came back to Whites. If you ever need customer service you will find its #1 and the turn around is quick. Anthony at the repair center does a great job. The controls are simple but it does give you options, I run mine with the sensitivity as high as the area allows, 2 tone when running the discrimination, 8 tone when detecting with no discrimination. Volume at whatever is comfortable, the stock 9in coil has good depth and the number ID is right on. If you want a detector mostly for coin hunting and jewelry the MX5 is for you. With fast recovery and good discrimination, tone ID and accurate number ID it will fit your needs.:thumbup:

I started out with a Heathkit in the early 70's & soon ended up with a Whites Coinmaster V Supreme, ran it for years along with a Compass, don't think I could swing either one of those today for more than a hour :surrender:

If I had to rate any of my "favorite" Whites it would be the MXT series, even over the DFX, just think the DFX's was over done.That being said, so far, this MX5 has the MXT familiarity about it without the weight
Depth has it's place when I relic hunt sites that quit producing with VLF detectors ... then I grab a pulse induction machine & go for it. They have much better iron disc now than ever before but are still HEAVY & I end up paying for it physically but have dug cuff buttons & percussion caps @ 15" in some super bad Virginia dirt & minnie balls so deep you won't believe. Whites & Minelab both make great pulse machines, I just hate to use them & it's hard to justify the cost.

Later .... Mike

Hi Mike,
My first was a Heath Kit also, late 60s. Then the White 5000d. Hit a volley ball court today also. Picked up $4.50 and a silver charm in about half an hour while wife walked the dog. I am running my MX5 with zero down knotched out, threasold around 7 or 8, 8 tones and sens about 2 clicks down from max. I keep the volume in the 80s and adjust my head phones as needed. I am guessing no one had checked this court all season long. Maybe go back back this week and see if there is any other jewlery laying around. It is good to hear everyone is really enjoying the MX5.

MattBullSummerville said:
Hi Mike,
My first was a Heath Kit also, late 60s. Then the White 5000d. Hit a volley ball court today also. Picked up $4.50 and a silver charm in about half an hour while wife walked the dog. I am running my MX5 with zero down knotched out, threasold around 7 or 8, 8 tones and sens about 2 clicks down from max. I keep the volume in the 80s and adjust my head phones as needed. I am guessing no one had checked this court all season long. Maybe go back back this week and see if there is any other jewlery laying around. It is good to hear everyone is really enjoying the MX5.

Cool deal ... a lot of coincidental history for sure.
Where are you located ?

I'm in north Alabama, south of Huntsville.

Mike