Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX5 was awesome today!

slingshot

Only had time for a quick hunt, so I lowered the sensitivity to just 4 bars to kinda skim the surface targets and use the 8 tone feature to speed things up. Chose an oft hunted ballpark but went away from usual bleachers to walking paths. Much to my surprise were some 5-6" quarters AND an 8" dime! Was beginning to think it was a deep can!
Dime is middle right and I got in a hurry and put two quarters together- one atop the other.

Coin & Jewelry Hunting, and I generally find places away from the bleachers to hunt as they can be more productive ... and less trashy, too.

Were you using the standard open 9" search coil? That coil for open areas, and the 6½" for trashier and more confined places, are my two favorite coils for the MX-5. I have sports fields and ither places around to hunt but sure wish we'd get some warmer weather. I envy you on having that opportunity as well.

Monte

Monte said:
Coin & Jewelry Hunting, and I generally find places away from the bleachers to hunt as they can be more productive ... and less trashy, too.

Were you using the standard open 9" search coil? That coil for open areas, and the 6½" for trashier and more confined places, are my two favorite coils for the MX-5. I have sports fields and ither places around to hunt but sure wish we'd get some warmer weather. I envy you on having that opportunity as well.

Monte
Yes! I saw a video where the standard 9" coil passed the nail board test w/flying colors so I postponed getting the 6 1/2" coil and the MX5 is so great for covering larger areas. I was surprised at the 8" dime- probably because of the heavy patina and halo effect. At 3/4 sensitivity, I would have not considered that unusual. I was, however in good ground. I started using this low sensitivity/8 tone since most of my areas are repeat sites and the quietness coupled with fast response means covering large areas- even with overlapping--at a good pace. I was a competition style hunter and old habits are hard to break. Love this MX5!

slingshot said:
Yes! I saw a video where the standard 9" coil passed the nail board test w/flying colors so I postponed getting the 6 1/2" coil and the MX5 is so great for covering larger areas. Love this MX5!
Yes, I really enjoyed the MX-5 and it became my favorite current White's model over the M-6 and MXT Pro / All-Pro models. The new MX-7 is definitely not a re-done MXT Pro, and with the newer circuitry design and added adjustment functions, it is my favorite currently-produced White's detector. :thumbup:

I prefer the open-frame 9" over the solid, donut-hole 950, but they are still very good Concentric designs. I just wish they would make the 9" like on the MX-5 with a connector for the new MX-7 and MX Sport models. These coils, especially the 9", do pretty well in a modest amount of iron trash, and the open 9" coil can handle the Nail Board Performance Test reasonably well, but not as well as the 6½" Concentric. The 9" does well in the more open areas at providing better coverage and slightly more depth, but the 6½" is lighter, balances better, and hunts in-and-around trash much better. It's the 2-coil complement for the MX-5, or an M6 or MXT Pro as well.

My MX-5 makes a great 'loaner unit' in my detector group because with those two coils it can be used virtually anywhere, tailored for the brushy or trashy conditions, being quite 'functional' and providing ample 'performance', yet it is 'simple' for even a newcomer to learn to use but is definitely not a beginner-level detector.

Monte

I still use my MX5, especially at club hunts. I have a SEF WSS 5x10 DD coil and its like having a broom at seeded hunts. Works great and very little interference from other machines. Tried the MX Sport at a seeded hunt and had to turn the sensitivity down to 2, even then other White's and Fisher detectors were messing with me big time. Frequency offset didn't help if the others got right beside me.