Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX7 came in today

Rick(ND)

Nice looking detector and I put together easy.

Turned it on and waved the coin in front of the coil with no response, turned it off to see if the cable was connected to the control box and it was, but took it off and tried connecting it again and it worked. Seem like you have to get it connected just right. Tried some different setting and different programs and seen the Relic is different than the MXT I have for my wife as this is what we run for coin hunting, so I will have to use the coin mode when we hunt. Did some indoor test quick like to see how thing will read and sound like and have a few thing I will have to check out further, but the coins really seem to lock on good. Next the test I do with all my detectors just to see how they will handle iron close to coins as I use my bar floor that is full of nails and try different targets on top of the floor and it seem to work good with all the iron. The one test I do is find a real solid and bigger signal in all metal pinpoint and put a quarter on top of this spot to see if I can pick it up. Did a excellent job at picking it up and IDing it too as a quarter and bouncing to a dime reading. Tried it with a dime and it picked it up with a different tone and ID, but it is to be expected with a small target on top of a larger iron target.
Got to read the owners manual more as the iron volume seems to work better off and get signals on everything metal, just a low tone on the ferrous.
I seen there is 2 clips that came with it called the coil cable clips, but dont have any idea what they are and how you would use them as there is not mention in the manual.
I can see it is not going to be as easy to use as the MXT and it will take more time to get to know it, but it has some good possibility, just wish it wont be for several months before I can get outside with it.
One thing I notice with my bad hearing and trying all the different headphone the audio is weak like it is with my Nokta Impact, so have a headphone amp ordered to try. Also for me in the 20 tones the dime sounds higher pitch than the quarter, but my son tells me he hears a big difference, so I wish I could just get some new ears.

Rick

Rick(ND) said:
Nice looking detector and I put together easy.
Yes, I like th4 general looks of the MX-7, and especially like the 'Bengal Orange' color choice they made.

Rick(ND) said:
Turned it on and waved the coin in front of the coil with no response, turned it off to see if the cable was connected to the control box and it was, but took it off and tried connecting it again and it worked. Seem like you have to get it connected just right.
New, smaller-size connector and plug so we have to make sure the plug 'barrel' is completely lined up, and ensure it's connecting straight-in as we tighten it up. I haven't had a problem, but I also didn't turn it on when I noticed the plug/socket were not aligned and it appeared to need to go on a bit farther. The threading is maybe a little different on the plug and socket, perhaps a thinner, tighter pattern? Just know to be careful and make sure it is all aligned.

Rick(ND) said:
Tried some different setting and different programs and seen the Relic is different than the MXT I have for my wife as this is what we run for coin hunting, so I will have to use the coin mode when we hunt.
Yes, the Relic 'program' [size=small](White's term for a selectable search 'mode')[/size] is different from the MXT/MXT All-Pro, but I prefer it to what the MXT series offered. I know the Coin & Jewelry 'program' will likely be my primary-use choice, but the Relic 'program' is my 2nd pick and can be quickly selected to cross-check a located target.

Once I get comfortable with the different function settings I am sure the MX-7 is going to be even more pleasurable to use.

Rick(ND) said:
Did some indoor test quick like to see how thing will read and sound like and have a few thing I will have to check out further, but the coins really seem to lock on good. Next the test I do with all my detectors just to see how they will handle iron close to coins as I use my bar floor that is full of nails and try different targets on top of the floor and it seem to work good with all the iron. The one test I do is find a real solid and bigger signal in all metal pinpoint and put a quarter on top of this spot to see if I can pick it up. Did a excellent job at picking it up and IDing it too as a quarter and bouncing to a dime reading. Tried it with a dime and it picked it up with a different tone and ID, but it is to be expected with a small target on top of a larger iron target.
In addition to using my Nail Board Performance Test I have maybe a half-dozen other test scenarios that mimic in-the-field encounters. I have a very tough test using silver coins that I am going to check out this afternoon with the MX-7 w/6½ Inch Con. coil, and I'd be willing to bet that it will out-perform my other stable of Target ID/Tone ID devices on this particular challenge.

Rick(ND) said:
Got to read the owners manual more as the iron volume seems to work better off and get signals on everything metal, just a low tone on the ferrous.
We have to make some adjustments that suit our wants and needs for the types of sites we hunt, ... and the level of patience we have on a particular day. I am generally a very patient guy so taking the time to learn the MX-7 well isn't going to fatigue me, and with the three search coils I have now, all the coils I'll want or need for this model, it will be a snap to settle in on my preferred settings.

Rick(ND) said:
I seen there is 2 clips that came with it called the coil cable clips, but dont have any idea what they are and how you would use them as there is not mention in the manual.
Some people just wrap their coil cable up and connect it. Some of us are a little more in favor of securing the cable so it doesn't flop or slide up and down the rod. I have been using sticky-back Velcro since the mid-'80s that I attach to the lower rod and upper rod, then I use a non-sticking strip of Velcro to secure the coil cable about 6" up from the coil and up near where a section connects to the detector. It keeps it nice and secure and eliminate floppiness.

Nokta and Makro Detectors supply some clip fasteners, but they are not stiff enough and they are also too wide. They don't secure the coil cable, and they tend to twist around or pop off the search rod. Not so with these very nice Cable Clips as they work great and are nice and snug. I'm going to order in a dozen sets of them to have on-hand for other detectors in my arsenal.

Rick(ND) said:
I can see it is not going to be as easy to use as the MXT and it will take more time to get to know it, but it has some good possibility, just wish it wont be for several months before I can get outside with it.
I know the MXT/MXT All-Pro is pretty 'Simple' which is one of my magic words, but the MX-7 isn't really difficult. Besides, the new MX-7 offers a number of features not found on the MXT's which can make it more flexible or versatile, and it is easy-to-use.

Rick(ND) said:
One thing I notice with my bad hearing and trying all the different headphone the audio is weak like it is with my Nokta Impact, so have a headphone amp ordered to try.
Weak audio? I guess your hearing is more impaired than mine, and the military considered me deaf when they tested me in '82, '83, ' 84, '85 and '86 ... and I can assure you I'm deaf. Not totally, because I can hear well enough to get out detecting.

I hear all of my detectors with the standard corded headphones I like to use, and thanks to all mine being stolen, I got another couple of sets of White's Pro Star headphones last week. One for use and one set for 'back-up.' I run my Nokta Impact at maximum Volume, and also do that with the FORS CoRe and Relic models, and if it is too loud I can reduce the Volume with the headphone. I notice with my MX-7 and Pro Star headphones, I have the Volume set at '20' and hear it just fine. Maximum is '30' and I might increase my setting sometime, but right now it works for me.

Rick(ND) said:
Also for me in the 20 tones the dime sounds higher pitch than the quarter, but my son tells me he hears a big difference, so I wish I could just get some new ears.
So far, for my urban Coin Hunting set-up, I have Coin & Jewelry set to turn-on in '20 Tone' but I am sure I'll find what works best for me in time.

Enjoy your MX-7, and like you I am hoping for an early arrival of spring, and a not too white covering of snow like we had last year.

The Findmall photo/picture allows only smaller pixels or whatever it is, and I can't post a photo of my MX-7 and 6½ Inch Concentric coil here, but I did in General Metal Detecting over on my AHRPS Forums. I really like the color of this unit, complemented the way I do with a 'custom' detector and coil. No doubt you'll enjoy the 6½ Inch when it comes upo for sale.

Monte

On the hearing of the tones I guess it would help to remember to turn up the volume as it was a 10 and turned it up to max ( 30 ) and that did help a bit on the MX7.
I notice some times it dont turn on and if I push in the battery pack tighter it will work and was thinking I pushed it in before and it seem to stick out a little bit even after I pushed hard on it. slam it in and it went all the way in like it was suppose to, so if anyone that has a problem where it dont seem to want to go in all the way so it is flush they may have to slam in it until it wear in a little.
Only had a short time to check it out more, but re read the manual several time to help understand it better and having better luck understanding it compared to the Nokta Impact I have.
I will say It does need a smaller coil because it is nose heavy needs the coil centered more.

Rick

than the heavier 10" DD or even the 950 Concentric. The 950 is a lighter-weight coil, but you're correct that the rod-mount being closer to the back edge throws it off a little. Also, users should be sure not to extend the rods and position a search coil way out in front as that will definitely cause a nose-heavy balance, and also contribute to less effective sweep and coil presentation. A proper coil position should be about 12" to 18" ahead of the toe for best comfort and coil presentation.

I know some folks have a tendency to extend the rods and get the coil way out there, thinking it will let them cover more ground, but in the long run it doesn't. An extended coil causes nose-heavy fatigue. Also, some do that to try and make a longer side-to-side sweep and that alone can be tiring, but it also encourages an operator to sweep faster to try and cover the area. The faster sweep can be tiring, plus when the arm is moving faster most of the time the feet do also, and that has a person moving too fast to efficiently overlap their sewers for most efficient coverage. That's one reason why I have always stressed using "a slow and methodical sweep" for peak efficiency, even with the 3-filter and 4-filter type circuitry models.

I'm sure you know that, but some readers here are likely newcomers and haven't learned to keep the rod at a shorter length and be more in control of the search coil to maintain a consistent coil height, parallel sweep, and overlap adequately so as not to miss good targets. We know there are still a lot out there, but they are often masked by associated trash and a slow and methodical sweep will increase out success afield.

The Detech 7" DD has a center-mount position for the rod, and the wonderful 6½ Inch Concentric coil is also designed with a very nice rod-mount position. The center-axis of the search coil is right at the front edge of the lower rod/rod-mount. The 6½ Inch Con. is just a bit lighter weight than the Detect offering. Either of these will improve the balance and 'feel' of your MX-7, and my 7" DD and 950 Concentric are on lower rods and ready-to-go ... if I want and need them ... but the 6½" Concentric is just about as ideal as can be for the bulk of my hunting with this very good model so it stays mounted full-time.

Get either of these smaller coils and I think you'll like the 'feel' better. Get the 6½ Inch Concentric when it's available and I believe you'll also want to settle in with that coil on the MX-7. :thumbup:

Monte