Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX7 strikes silver

dfmike

I'm back in the woods again and since the MX7 fared so well in this area last year, I decided to take it along once again. Actually I took the MX7 because the bad detecting conditions left me with no options. It's the only detector that I have that uses concentric coils and it punches deeper with a small coil than the two other detectors that I have. The area is loaded with rusty bottle caps (that means concentric coil territory) and there was 3 inches of wet snow on the ground which meant an important loss in detection depth to start with.

Same location as last year but a different area. I stayed there about 5 hours and was surprised again at how the MX7 can manage in tough conditions. The snow was constantly caking on the six shooter coil and I had to brush it off by hand every so often because it would become too heavy and awkward to swing. Anyway, tough conditions but good results. I've started to use the MX7 in 4 tone mode as of late and I'm getting used to the sounds it makes. It gives me an edge for coin shooting. I set the detector on hi trash as I feel the detector's stability is compromised in coin and jewelry mode (too much falsing). I don't know if I'm losing depth in hi trash. Apart from being less noisy, I feel no difference in the MX7 when I use it.. I set gain at 7 to get the most depth I could under the snow. I tried 8 but again, stability was compromised. Disc was set to reject iron and small foil up to +5. I'm finding rejection volume to be more and more useful to assess whether an area has seen human activity or not. I set it at 20 so I can barely hear the rejected targets but at least it gives me an idea of what is underground. The MX7 was ground balancing at 79-81 in this area.

My first good signal was a 1951 commemorative nickel then came a 1900 large cent which is the oldest coin I have found in that location. I also found the three silver coins pictured: a 1959 and 1961 dime and a 1966 quarter. There's a few wheat pennies from the 40's in there and Canadian pennies from the 30's to the 60's. What are the chances of pulling out 2 vintage lipstick cases from the ground in a densely wooded area ? Not much but it happened !

Really nice hunt Mike . Congratulations on the silver . I love the small concentric coils when in bottle cap land . I have one on my M6 .