Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

mxsport an mx7 in fairly trashey areas

Hi... There's lots of trash all around my house, it's an 1800's farm house. I was getting a lot of ghost signals, so I bought the six shooter, it works a lot better...I have red clay, and lots of iron all around my property.

jimmy clark: said:
anybody use their mx sport or mx7 where theres a lot of trash ,and whats your take on how it did?
When introduced I checked out the MX Sport, didn't like the rush-to-market flaws it had, not did I like the standard coil or the overall weight and balance. Part of that is due to my age, bad health and very challenged mobility. I wanted a land-based detector, anyway, and one that would be light, balanced, and have a headphone jack where they belong ..... at the rear of the detector near the arm-cup. Fortunately, the fixed the glitches in the circuitry design and put it into a lighter-weight and very comfortable packge as a land-based model and named it the MX-7. I got a Prototype/Production unit at the factory and a first-time 6½" Concentric coil. It came right out of production, and I mean right out just for me, and I had to seal the upper-and-lowed portions. I also got the 7" DD made for White's by Detech ... and that wasn't so impressive a performer.

I ended up buying a 2nd, let them go, and just reacquired one that I had with my custom powder-coated middle rod. I keep the 6½" Concentric coil mounted full-time and I found it to be the best 'general purpose' coil for the places I hunt most often, and when someone asks about how they handle 'trash' we need to have a clarification of just what is meant by 'trash.' There can be just some incidental 'trash' we might encounter in any urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting environment. But when we get into very challenging 'trash' it gets more difficult.

Are you referring to searching a very trashy urban Coin Hunting location, such as around a covered picnic bowery. or perhaps around sports field sidelines, or maybe a spectator area with bleachers and such? Places that can see a lot of discarded foil, Ring-Pull or rectangular Pry-Off tabs, screw caps, and other non-ferrous junk, and maybe with some ferrous-based crown-type Bottle Caps in the mix?

Or, are you wanting to deal with the common 'trash' that is associated with many Relic Hunting locations, such as a homestead, stage stop, pioneer or military encampment, ghost town or other similar site that has a lot of Iron Nails, rusty tin and other problem ferrous discards with some non-ferrous junk mixed in? That can make a difference, but in both types of 'trash' I have found the MX-7 w/6½" Concentric coil to provide very satisfactory performance. As always, just be careful not to use too much Discrimination, and when hunting in any trash-filled site, use a smaller-size coil like the 6½" Concentric, remember or work the coil slowly-and-methodically, and never forget to overlap.

My MX-7 is not my only detector. I have 9 different models in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit, and I select the detector/coil combinations I load up when I set out to have some fun. While I can use my MX-7 w/6½" Con. coil for a lot of my relic Hunting needs, I have very proved units assigned to that task. The MX-7 is one of my favorite urban Coin Hunting model and can take on most annoying 'trash' quite well. Too bad White's went out of business because they finally offered a very decent, all-purpose detector at a very reasonable MSRP. I'm just glad I got one of my choice units back home so I cn enjoy it field.

Monte

I think it does quite well in trashy areas. My main gripe with the MX7 is the constant chatter (in coin and jewelry or hi trash) mode. The trashier the site, the worse it gets no matter how much discrimination is dialed in. Some people can happily analyze all the chatter and be perfectly happy preferring "sparkier" detectors to the more quiet models such as my F19/G2+ . The concentric coils (either 950 or six shooter) work wonders at eliminating pesky bottle caps though.

Mike,

Try running your threshold as low as possible around 1 or 2. I prefer setting 1 then run your reject volume around 40 or even 50 or higher if you like. I like 40 this mellows the rejected trash volume only down in your headphones a lot making things more pleasant. Lock your tracking after balanced and lower your sensitivity as needed to (6 or 7 works good for me in most soils here). These changes seem to really help in the heavy trash for me toning things down a bit.

I love my MX7 and it is one of my all time favorite detectors. It really sucks that Whites has shut down also Tesoro is gone. The only USA stuff left is Garrett, Fisher, and Technetics.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G