Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXSport at the beach

Flbchbm

I took my new-to-me MXS to the beach yesterday to give her a go on a salt-water beach. The detector has the first update, not the second. First of all, this is my first Whites detector and second, I have only used this detector acouple hours since I bought it. Point is, I have a long way to go to understand this detector's language.

I used the detector in all metal mode, salt tracking on, vco off iron grunt on, threshhold 2-3 depending on background noise (waves, mostly), sensitivity varied from 5-10 depending on falsing. Tracking varied as well, depending on falsing. The detector ran very well and I found at least as much stuff as I typicly find with my Sand Shark. The beach is very sanded in so targets are few and far between. I searched shallow water (6") to dry sand and everything in between. My deepest find was a quarter at 8-9" in damp sand. Found a dime in wet sand at 5" and a bunch of zlincolns in wet sand at 1-6". Lots of hits on very small pieces of rusted iron at the surf line. All the coins were properly identified by the detector. The iron bounced between "hotrock" and all the way up to silver dollar, depending on the size of the iron. The iron were very small pieces that were shallow, 2" or less but sounded very deep and pinpointed as being deep. My Nokta FC did the exact same thing with these iron pieces when I had it at the beach. Bottom line, I was happy with the way the detector performed under the difficult conditions presented on a salt water beach.

Some things I have learned about this detector in my short time with it:
The higher the sensitivity, the more falsing, the longer the tones, the tougher to use. I had the sensitivity at 5 on the quarter mentioned above, which was just about perfect for those conditions. If you use just enough sensitivity to get the job done you will be far less frustrated. This detector has good depth at midrange sensitivity.
I have to sweep the coil much slower for separation in trashy areas. Hopefully this will be improved by the second update. I may be spoiled by my Nokta FC in this regard.

I think there is a lot of potential here. Lot's of bashing of this detector on all the boards. I will wait and see what the second update changes and spend some time learning the language and capabilities of this detector before I post any criticism. Seems like the only fair thing to do.

HH!
Brian

Great first beach outing Brian,

I agree, Had similar results my first time out and seen the potential the MX Sport had. That was with the first Firmware, but tweaked and using All Metal or Prospecting mode boy did it operate great.

The only thing I would have changed is operate with VCO on position instead of off in the wet sand, this VCO on zip zip detection auctally helps in areas of mineralization. Even bumping up SAT with these modes will help with stability, but only use what you need.

With the first version, all the other modes recovery was too slow and tones stretched out forever. But, as you've noticed, Prospecting or All Metal modes they work correctly.

Using VCO OFF position on the first Firmware, Prospecting or All Metal modes works great for inland hunting or Beach dry sand. Sort of gives the MX Sport the impression it's operating like it's supposed too as does the current firmware in Relic mode. Bumping up SAT enhances these two modes as well, these are some of the tweaking tricks I did with the first version to create a decent hunting mode.

The latest versions fix these problems, boy was the first release a nightmare.

Please send in your unit for the latest version, you'll be able to use the other modes with the cool features Prospecting and All Metal don't have access too.

Congrats to a fine day!
Paul

Thanks for the info, Paul. I've seen some youtube videos of units with the latest update and they look really good. Much better recovery, shorter tones. I think that will really help this detector meet and possbly exceed my expectations.

Yes. From what I have read, they will pay shipping both ways. Supposed to be 1-2 weeks turn around time.

That sucks, to have to send it in.
As in an international location that is probably going to cost and take twice as long.

It's a reasonably good Target Classifier as in TID's on the beach. For 'round things' it should say [ penny/dime quarter ] but for odd shapes and items of a longer/thinner composition it might say MISC, regardless of which firmware it's running!