Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT All Pro Vs M6 For a Coin Shooter?

Beale

Hello Y'all right now I run a Beep Dig unit and do pretty well. I am a Land hunter only and am looking into these 2 models for Coin Shooting and Maybe a ring or 2? I hunt Private property with permission and will not be buying until spring. Any thoughts on which unit is the best true coin shooter, Beale.

The M6 IS a coin shooting machine. Nothing more or less to me. But if you want a coinshooting all purpose machine with relic and prospecting capabilities the MXT (all) Pro with the backlight and ground grab is your machine.
What I missed on the M6 was the threshold and the "smooth" sound the MXT has. Even with the MXT in relic mode you're able to >>listen<< for round objects. Seriously, if you are trained you can hear a difference in the sound for ROUND coin sized objects. Never had this with the M6.

But if using the multi tone feature both are superfine coinshooters.

IMHO

I'd go with the M6. I does everything the MXT Pro does as far as coin and jewelry shooting goes for a lot less money. If you also do nugget shooting or relic hunting then go with the MXT.

I group people into one of two general categories:

A 'Traditional Coin Hunter' which would typically be someone who searches for coins mainly in an urban environment, who relies a lot of the visual Target ID and VDI numeric read-out, and usually uses a simpler detector or maybe doesn't really learn [size=small](or want to learn)[/size] more adjustment functions. Their main hunting sites are tot lots, parks and schools, and they might use a lot of Discrimination to eliminate more trash and/or rely heavily on a 'proper' TID Lock-on to decide what to recover.

An 'Avid Detectorist' which would be someone who likes to have ample control adjustments [size=small](not excessive, just ample)[/size] so they can have better control over the Ground Balance setting and a more defined and usually lower Discrimination setting. They rely mainly on listening to the audio response and refer to the visual information for just that, information, but don't rely on it to make a dig/no-dig decision. They usually use 2 or 3 search coils to fit the site conditions, and search a wider range of sites .... even if they are primarily "Coin Hunting" [size=small](such as working building tear-downs, vacant lots, homesteads, ghost towns, etc.)[/size].

Beale said:
Hello Y'all right now I run a Beep Dig unit and do pretty well.
Only my Bandido II µMAX lacks any visual TID or VDI display, but I rely primarily on hearing an audio response and using a low Discriminate setting [size=small](no more than iron nail rejection)[/size] and consider myself to use a "Beep / Dog" approach to detecting. The visual info on my other detector models is simply additional information, not a decision-to-dig-maker. However, I will presume you might be referring to using a model such as a Tesoro non-display detector, a White's Classic II or III, or some other unit that lacks any visual display.

Does your Beep/Dig Unit have factory preset Ground Balance or is it manual GB or does it have an automated GB?

Does your Beep/Dig Unit have only a single tone audio or maybe two-or-more audio tones?

How much Discrimination do you usually use?

What size and type of search coils do you generally hunt with or prefer?

What is your definition or description of "doing pretty well?" How many coins do you average in a month?

Beale said:
I am a Land hunter only ...
As am I. I don't like beach hunting, even though I do hit a coastal or fresh water river or lake beach maybe once, or possibly twice, a year. I hunt dry land, those being urban sites when I can't get away, or my preference of finding and hunting older out-of-the-way locations [size=small](homesteads, old town sites, old school sites, stages stops, etc., etc.)[/size] because I prefer to find older dated US coins [size=small](as well as trade tokens, jewelry and small artifacts that have coin-like responses)[/size].

Beale said:
... and am looking into these 2 models for Coin Shooting and Maybe a ring or 2?
The White's MXT All-Pro, as well as the M6 and MX5, are all very good Coin Hunting detectors, and they can certainly find gold and silver rings and jewelry, if they are lost at a site.

Beale said:
I hunt Private property with permission and will not be buying until spring. Any thoughts on which unit is the best true coin shooter, Beale.
Well, if you seek and obtain permission to hunt private property most of the time, then you are not what I consider a "Traditional Coin Hunter" because it's usually the more "Avid Detectorist" who would put out that time and effort. Good move!

The M6 was designed as a simplified Coin Hunting detector based on the 'original' MXT. It gave us the option of a 7-Tone audio ID as well as a great single-tone response, and it simplified the adjustment options and features so that it was more like most of the popular Coin Hunting detectors. That is, they eliminated the Threshold control and it is factory set just below the Threshold level so as to be 'Silent Search.' They also eliminated a traditional All Metal mode, which is the Prospecting mode on the MXT's. Still, like the MXT and MXT Pro and current MXT All-Pro, it offers automated Ground Balance and the option to use Auto-Trac® or 'Lock' the GB setting.

The M6 is a very good Coin Hunting detector for any type of site, urban or out-of-the-way. However, the MXT Pro/MXT All-Pro offer the operator more options. For me, the MXT All-Pro is my single 'all purpose' detector due to the assortment of adjustment functions combined with the excellent in-the-field performance. It has the All Metal 'Prospecting' mode. It has variable S.A.T. [size=small](auto-tune)[/size] adjustment in the All Metal mode. It has a variable Tuner Control to set a 'proper' Threshold audio level, or you can manually adjust it just barely into the 'silent-search' operation, if desired.

Additionally you get the Relic Mode which can give you Mixed Mode Audio or a 2-Tone audio, especially handy for audibly classifying most Iron and Non-Iron targets. You have three touchpads that let you select the Audio Tone options for each search mode, one for Ground Grab so you can quickly update the Ground Balance setting, in any search mode, on-the-fly. And a 3-level Back-Lighted Display, which I know I enjoy when I night hunt during summer's heat, or this time of year when it gets dark early and the light lets me hunt a little longer.

It has the same Automated/Lockable Ground Balance as the MXT and M6, but it also provides a Ground Phase read-out that the M6 doesn't. This lets you know how mineralized the ground is you're searching, and it is visually displayed in the All Metal Prospecting mode.

For just Coin Hunting, either can work okay. For ME and my approach to Coin Hunting, I prefer the physical packaging of the MXT All-Pro as well as the adjustment functions. Most of the time I use the 2-Tone Relic mode, but still sometimes opt for the Coin & Jewelry mode. In the latter I prefer the single-tone audio over the 7-Tone audio, using the multi-tone operation an average of maybe once-a-month for some urban Coin Hunting for some 'flash money' site work.

I use the 6½" Concentric coil most often [size=small](the 5.3 Eclipse)[/size], and opt for the 9¼" Concentric 'spider' coil for more open locations with a sparse amount of targets, good or trash.

Since you have time between now and your purchase, even though I would make the decision much sooner, I think it would be a good idea if you visited a local White's Dealer to get your hands on a detector and try them out. See how the feel and balance for you. That way you will make the decision based on how the detector appears to you and not just on the opinions of others.

Monte

M6, This morning. Was in the ground on edge at 6 1/2". 14K, 2 grams.
Also found were 2 dimes at 6+" each and a quarter at 7".
What more could you ask for?

I think I am going to go with the M6 then. I do not need the Backlight and I do not relic hunt, Beale.