Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT and coins....question for those MXT experienced users

padiggin

I've read reports on a metal detecting review site that the MXT is not a good coin finder. Those that complained about the MXT complained that it was too hot for iron and hot rocks and that it was not the best machine for coin hunting. My question is this: If the MXT is such a sensitive machine, why would it not be good for finding coins? I'm pretty new with the MXT, so I'm still learning a lot about it - and since I don't get a lot of opportunities to hunt a lot, my learning curve is longer with it. I'm curious about those of you who are very experienced with the MXT how well you do with coin hunting, how deep you have found coins with the MXT and if you have any complaints on the MXT with hunting coins. I bought an MXT with all the optional coils, so I'm pretty much set in that regard. But any assistance that you all can offer in clarifying some of my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Don

I have only had my MXT for a few months but I found it to be excellent with coins and can't imagine how anybody with experience with this machine would call it a bad coin detector. The only environment that I have had trouble with the MXT are the beaches of southern California but after taking advice from people using the MXT i have improved on the beaches.

Let me think here a minute, Oh OK. I think in 2007 I cashed in around $575.00 in clad coins(not bragging just making a point) thats not including around 6 or 7 hundred pennies maybe more. I found all these at depths up to 12 inches or so depending on the coil I was using at the time. Oh ya I guess I should mention the two silver dollars and a handful of other silver coins I dug along with gold and silver rings with some adorned with diamonds and other pretty stones. I don't know how many trinkets I dug but it was a bunch. I think the reviews you read were written by someone who bought a MXT and took it into the field without learning how to use it, and when it did not find any coins he wrote a review telling all that was willing to listen about how bad the MXT was. Its a bunch of Horse Pucky in MHO. I've learned how to use mine (still learning) and it works just fine. Don't worry about your MXT's abilities in locating coins. Just learn how to use it and you find as many coins as you are willing to dig. MHO. HH Dennis in Idaho

I've read the same statement about the MXT. In some respects it might not be the IDEAL coin machine, meaning strictly a coin hunting machine, but my growing experience with it has shown it to be very capable in that regard. As a multipurpose machine I feel it is one of, if not the best, currently on the market. I have had excellent results in 2 extremely trashy parks using the 4X6 shooter coil and have retrieved numerous coins using the 6X10DD coil.

Another statemen/opiinion I've run into criticizes it as being noisy. If one has no experience or is not used to hunting with any threshold based all metal machine, then it would seem so. However, properly set, the threshold should be softly audible and can be tuned to just below that if the hum is distracting. To me it is not. Also, when listening to the hum carefully, one can hear the slightest indication of a deep signal or if the hum momentarily nulls out, it means you have passed the coil over a target that was discriminated out. Sometimes that may be useful as it is letting you know that there is metal of some sort in that spot.

All in all, if I could only have one detector for every thing from coins to nugget shooting, I would keep my MXT until something clearly better came along. And then I'd probably keep it for an extra or backup anyway. My only personal criticism of it is I find it to be a bit heavy compared to a lot of the competition and have found the 9.5 coil to be a real pain in trashy situations. Other than those 2 things, I really, really like mine.
My two bits,
Bill

I like to try many different detectors myself to see how they will work for me and my type of hunting. I like Threshold detectors as I can tell most what is going on by what that threshold will do. Now many that have said they are noise are not used to a detector with a threshold as I feel it is one of the smoothest running detectors out there. Some will even max the gain and then complain how noise it is, but if adjusted right it works great. I had been using the Minelabs and still do, but when I first tried a MXT I felt this detector put a lot of fun back into detecting as I was swinging faster, could tell the good coins from the trash easy and was surprised to be digging coins 8 inches the first day with it. I have went up against my friend with is Explorer XS and see where his Explorer seen some deeper IH pennies I wouldn't have dug, but also seen a target at 12 inches with the MXT he said he wouldn't dig, it was a old brass house key.
Now I haven't used the MXT for a while as that is what my wife uses and she does very well with it as she got a large cent in a well worked area plus at a old farm site she get a 1841 seated dime beating my 1842 I had got in my 35 years of detecting. She does well for coin shooting with her MXT against me with my Sovereigns GT, Explorer SE and my Fisher F-75 as she finds more, but i seem to get more older finds.
We have the 4X6 Mini shooter for very trashy area and the 6X10 coil which is used 90% of the time. I recommend the MXT for coin hunting as it does real good for us and probably always have one for my wife as in her 34 year of detecting with me and trying different detectors this is the one she loves the best out of all of them.

Rick

Some additional thoughts. I have to agree with Nick, it's a fun machine to use. Also, for anyone just starting out with the MXT, I strongly suggest that you spend more time listening to the target responses over the TID. I've found mine quite accurate down to 6-8 inches or so, but the sound of the MXT is unique and with practice you'll begin to recognize the good stuff by the sound a fair percentage of the time. Between that and the TID you'll be able to make more accurate assessments of the targets than with the TID alone. I've gotten to where I can quite reliably identify a nickel over the pulltabs that respond in the same range by the combination of the TID reading enhanced by the slightly different sound of the nickel over the tabs. Don't worry about other's opinions of the machine - get out, use it, get to know it and enjoy. Be ready to dig your share of good targets.
HH
Bill

I agree wholeheartedly with Dennis when he said "I think the reviews you read were written by someone who bought a MXT and took it into the field without learning how to use it, and when it did not find any coins he wrote a review telling all that was willing to listen about how bad the MXT was. Its a bunch of Horse Pucky in MHO. I've learned how to use mine (still learning) and it works just fine."

When I first got mine I had been using a Tesoro and a Tesoro will spoil you because it is truly a turn on an go machine, with tight pinpointing, clean and clear signals. But, because it runs silent unless you're over something, its a different kind of machine than the MXT. I'm not knocking the Tesoro, just trying to point out that the MXT seems like a turn on and go machine, but really isn't. They're two different kind of machines, with differing strengths. You really need to work with the MXT and get to know it. There's a reason for the price difference between it and a midrange Tesoro. I think metal detectors are like musical instruments. When you first learn how to play (detect) you can get a tune out of it, but it really takes practice to make beautiful music.

My thanks to all of you for your time and feedback on this. As I mentioned, I have not used my MXT as much as I would like to (job, family, etc), but when I do I don't feel as confident with it as I do with my other detector (I used a Tesoro for years too, a Stingray water machine that was so simple to understand and read what it was telling me). Now I'm trying to get used to the MXT with it's threshold, and after reading some of those comments on that review site, I was having second thoughts on my purchase. But I must say, everyone of you made me feel a heck of a lot better in my purchase now. Hearing how many coins you all have found with the MXT gives me confidence that I can do the same with it. I just have to get out there and get the coil to the soil more. Thanks to all of you for your kind responses.

HUmmmm. I never had a problem finding coins with the MXT.
Never had a problem with the MXT period, so I can't imagine where
those people's complaints were coming from.

The MXT is an easy turn on and goe machine, but yes
you do have to view the DVD a few times and have your machine
right there in the chair with you. The manual is really well
presented as well.

If you have all the coils ( that must have set you back a few dollars),
then your set.

The only additional coil I happen to need at the moment is the
6X10DD coil for the mineralized ground that I have been hitting.
Turning down the sensitivity only helps somewhat.

While the MXT is a little heavy, its still a top notch machine
for most metal detecting.

Regards
Robert R

Thanks for the feed back. Yes, the coils did set me back a bit, but I bought them over a period of a year, so I didn't break the bank all at one time. I just bought Jeff Foster's book, so I'm hoping to learn more about the MXT from that as well. My basic problem is that I need to get out more with it. I know the more you use it the better one gets with it, so I really do need to get out and detect a lot more with it to feel more comfortable. Again, thanks for all the great feedback from all you with experience.

Don. I read a really good tip for new MXT users. This guy went into his backyard and buried every type of coin denomination, clad, silver, etc.. He buried them at different depths, some on edge, some with trash around them and marked each one with a flag with the info written on it. He then practiced every day with his MXT listening to the sounds and the readings that each one gave off. He called it his "coin garden" and I thought that was an easy and effective way to help learn how to use the detector.

Here, I found the thread about the garden.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=14387&highlight=coin+garden

You know a coin or relic garden is a great idea, but even better way to make it useful is to add a few targets that have a nail or other piece of iron in close proximity, so you can test out how to get good seperation. Single targets in the field are pretty easy to detect, once you get used to your detector. Its those iffy (deep or next to iron) targets that makes it a real challenge, most of the time.

>>>>>>>>>My basic problem is that I need to get out more with it.<<<<<<<<<

You hit the nail on the head.
I've heard of the Jeff Foster book, but I think I'll just wait.
Here is a website you will/or may not, find useful:

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/MXT_files/MXT_basepage.htm

I ended up printing it out and putting it my already overflowing
notebook.

Robert R

First I will say I am not bragging but trying to be helpful to the question.<p> I have hunted with the White's MXT for 3 years now<p> and it is a great machine and will find coins & jewelry<p>if they are there and you cross over them with your coil.<p> I personally use the Eclipse mini 4x6 & the 5.3 Eclipse 6x6 all the time<p> and only use the coin & jewelry mode. (My preference)<p>I have been hunting a large sports area this year that has produced so far<p>465-quarters, 376 dimes, 197 nickels, 515 pennies and 11 gold, silver & junk rings.<p>So I know it will find coins & jewelry if they are there to be found.<p>I will say over the past 3 years I have found a lot of coins that was cleaned and cashed in<p> and a lot of jewelry that was sold for scrap silver & gold. <p> Your White's MXT is a great machine and takes time and must be used regularly to learn. <p>The machine will be only as good as the person that learns it.

HH
Billy in Tenn

My experience is similar to what Billy posted and i agree with him on the coils however, I do use the 6X10 DD alot. I'm looking forward to spring when I can get out and plan to use the relic mode more to become more familiar with it. Bottom line, if it's under the coil, the MXT will help you find it.
HH
Bill

I always get a chuckle when i see a review on something and can tell that the writer had 15 mins of instruction time.did the test and then did a write up on it.
The best one i read was on asault rifles and how they kill people. Someone took offense at the article so he placed an AR-15 and an AK in the corner of his room and place a 24 hour live cam on them for the writer to watch online......the rifles never did jump up and kill anyone....LOL. I would take the advise of people here that get down and dirty with there detectors over some desk jockey who used a detector during his lunch break............

The MXT is a great coin machine. Ground balanced properly, (ALWAYS CONFIRM YOUR GROUND BALANCE) and not running it to hot for the conditions there are no problems with it. Iron messes with most detectors, you just have to adjust for it and if you have the option of a DD coil in those conditions it's a plus.