Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT and Hunting for Meteorites

TC-NM

What do you think the MXT will do for hunting meteorites and what coil recommendations do you have? Any tips and tricks using Prospect / Relic / Coins & Jewelry modes?

I have an older MXT e-series with the standard 950 (flat) coil and a 5.3 Eclipse. I'm heading out to Gold Basin to hunt for meteorites in the next few weeks. Trying to get there before the temp. climbs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TC-NM

I would recommend that you use a Double-D coil rather than the concentric 950 or 5.3 Eclipse coils you mentioned. The ground in area of Gold Basin can be pretty hot (mineralized) and DD coils work a little better and you get the advantage of better coverage.

If you want to stick with White's coil the White's D2 or 6 X 10 Eclipse would be good. Detech makes the 10" X 12" SEF coil which is an excellent coil. I have all three and use the SEF coil for depth and coverage. The D2 is a close second.

As far a search modes use Ground Track on and the Relic mode with Zero Disc if the ground isn't real hot with minterals and doesn't change a lot. For the hot and changing ground use the prospecting mode and adjust the SAT to suit ground conditions. I've found that the slower you keep the SAT the better depth but if the ground is constantly changing you have to go to a faster SAT setting to get the depth and keep up with the changing ground.

It would be helpful to test a meteortie from the strewn field to give you an idea of the target ID value. Meteorites will have a negative number but there are also gold nuggets there so you will need to dig everything unless you're just going after meteorites (iron) targets.

After May it gets very hot so wear a large hat,light colored clothing, sun screen and have plenty of water available to keep hydrated. Mohave rattlesnakes abound in Gold Basin so be careful where you step in the early morning and late afternoon.

Good Luck,
Alan

Thanks ArizFlash for all our insight. I'm going to have to pick up a 10" D2 coil for my trip.

Do you know what the negative numbers you are talking about here that I should look for exactly?

Thanks,

TC-NM

On an MXT Iron/Nickle meteorites typically ID between -50 to -90. If there is a lot of nickle in then (15% to 25%) the ID on an MXT will be around -10 to -40.

If you will be hunting for meteorites exclusively try digging everything from -5 to -95.

In the Prospecting mode the iron percentage ID will be above 60%.

A wooden dowel with a Neodymium magnet glue onto the end is helpful in finding the target after you have dug up you target. I use a gold nugget pick with a scoop on one end and a pick on the other with a magnet on the top. It is pretty heavy (8 lbs) to carry around but very effective in digging targets.

Thanks for all the help ArizFlash.

I don't have an MXT but I do have an AT Gold, correction, will have can't afford it yet.
Do you have any input , because I want to go after meteorites too.

Many thanks

TC-NM - You're welcome. I hope you find a few.

Alan