Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT and Nickles

davidtn

Since owning my MXT (admittedly it hasn't been that long) I've found every denomination except a nickle. I don't know if it's due to their reading or just the luck of my swing. Any comments, comparisons or suggestions?

I don't know where you are, but here in No. Ca I find my Nickles at VDI 18-22:clapping:. Most of the higher 22's are pull tabs:ranting:, but you have to dig them to find the good stuff. I seem to find about 5 to 1 against my MD partner that has a :garrett:GTI 2500:biggrin:. I think he just needs to slow down to pick them up. The MXT is a great Nickle hunter, just take your time and keep swing'n It will come.

If you are not finding nickels you may be setting your discrimination to high. HH Dennis in Idaho

Good point, check your settings. In 16 months of owning my MXT, I've just surpassed 2,900 nickles alone. Too bad for me only a few are pre-Hamilton era. Just like Fred's, my "sweet-spot" reading for nickles is 18-20. But have hit them as high as 37. Grade schools proovide the most for me. If your getting everything else than your passing them by. Keep at it.:)

Steelheadfever in right, try putting a nickel on the ground and turn your Disc. to just over 4, swing your coil over the target, if your not getting anything, turn your disc down till the niclel starts hitting.
It should be around the preset..:happy:. Hope it helps. Did for me. HH and keep :detecting: K.C.

floridason, :usaa: Retired
MXT, DX-1, Bullseye, 4 coils

On the discrimination, a higher setting is OK in some situations but remember when you DISC out foil you also disc all small gold rings, earrings and other small gold jewelry. If you are discriminating those 14 - 16 VDI's you are also losing a lot of women's gold rings and these are below most nickels. A reading somewhere between 2 and 3 will just disc out iron and nails. Throw a rusty nail on the ground and see were your MXT will disc it out. That's were I would hunt. Rob

I try to hunt just under a nickel but some of the site i would be digging trash all day ,my brother in law does dig almost everything with his ace 250 that my he usually beats me in finds.

I personally hunt with no discrimination. Little noisey at times but it pays off. I don't want a machine telling what to dig or not dig. HH Dennis in Idaho

I had several of my nickels come in a 22, a couple 16's and a 14. Did you see Dennis' war nickel was a 22. Rob

Unless you're discrimnating them out or just not swinging over nickles, I'm surprised. I've found more nickels with my MXT than with my other detectors. As others have mentioned the numbers usually are 16 to 20, once in a while a 14.
HH
BB

If you like to use discrimination, and you hunt in Coin and Jewelry mode, try making down the disc to the first pre-set arrow and switching the trigger switch forward. That will allow you (theoretically) to find more nickels and less pull tabs.

I think you will find the trigger forward only gets the older higher VDI tabs. The new tabs that read 22 I don't think will be discriminated. If they did trigger forward would start effecting nickel reading. When you disc out a VDI you also effect the VDI numbers close to that VDI. Rob

Rob is right. The trigger forward only knocks out part of the many pulltab shapes and sizes. The way I use it is to push the trigger forward to see if the signal drops off. If it does, I move on, if not, I may dig anyway to make sure.
keep diggin'
BB

If I get a solid 18 or if the reading jumps between 18 to 20, it's a nickle..

Usually at a VDI of 22 or above I find mostly pull tabs, so I disgard them altogether.. Most of my finds on nickels are between 18-20, ofcoarse I was buffaloed one day with a higher reading of 26 and it was a buffalo nickel.. Mmmmm! I know that sounds strange, but it's true.. Still trying to get used to the MXT.. Cliff