Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT at the Beach

TnShooter

Hey all, I'm a 3+ year user of the MXT.
I use it mostly for relics and some coin picking.
I've never used it at the beach and had a few questions.

1. Is the coil and wire ok in salt water? (I've had it in fresh water)
2. I currently have a coil cover on it, Should I remove this to let the water drain from the coil easily?
3. What extra precautions besides dropping it in the water, should I take while detecting at the beach?

In short, How bad is the beach for the MXT?

The salt water should not hurt the coil, the cover can stay on watch for kids splashing it the water if you walk close to them.
I have used the mxt at the beach for 6 years now with great results, just watch the gain in wet sand or in the water. I use a gain of about 7, but it may be different in your area. If it falses pump the coil up and down several times or turn down the gain until it quiets down. My usual settings are
gain=7
c/j mode
track=salt (i wet sand, in dry I use ground)
disc=2
slight hum in thresh hold

If you are still nervous about the coil you can rinse it off with fresh water when you get home. I do this occasionally, but not all the time.

Good luck and happy hunting!

DO NOT ever lift the coil higher than the control box when hunting in shallow water. The water can get into the shaft and run down (up?) the shaft into the control box. Bad day.
HH
Scott

You gonna be impressed with it at the beach. I like to hunt near the hotel areas where all the beach chairs / umbrellas are. Lots of coins. (Also lots of pop tops). I never used a coil cover. Slapshot and Scott give good advice. I did cover my speaker area with a clear piece of tape to keep sand from getting inside it. Also kept a small soft paint brush in pocket to brush some sand off of the MXT every now and then. I do like to run that gain much higher than normal if the sand allows. I really like the Super 12" coil on the beach. Not many problems a bit inland with higher gain. Slapshot is right on .... It may get somewhat chattery near the waters edge or over wet sand so then you may have to back off the gain a little depending on your type of ground conditions. Good Luck. CCH

I use it on the beach with great success. Go to youtube and search JAD5822 and look for my July Vacation video. You will see the joys of beach hunting!