Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT Discrimination

I am thinking of getting an MXT but have been reading that the discrimination capabilities are not very good, especially at depths of more than 4 inches. Is this correct? Look forward to your comments. Thanks.

Hi Don, I have had an MXT for a few years and I use it several times a week, rain or shine. The discrimination for coin shooting seems to be quite good even to depth. I have been getting some strange readings lately in very dry soils when the target is ether a large one such as a large brass item (mostly very large irrigation parts long abandoned)or a crushed aluminum can at depth. These targets show in the 80's on the mxt. As I dig up (most) all targets anyway, it is of little concern and I have added my own discrimination circuitry (my brain) to the rest of the telemetry.
A new, good MXT book The MXT EDGE by Jeff Foster has been an invaluable tool taking me to the next level. Good hunting, pop top

Thanks for the reply. Here in NW GA the ground is so hard that a target over 3 or 4 inches is almost imposible to recover without damage to the item or the grass. So I know what you mean about strange signals in dry ground.
I have read about the book you mentioned and if I decide to get the MXT it will certainly be a must have.
Don

I get 6-7" targets, all U.S. coins except nickels with 5.3 or Excellarator 5". The 9.5" coil goes an inch or so deeper. All these coils get loud hits at 12" in all-metal mode.

I have been using my MXT over four years and have not had a discrimination issue with it. It has been so good I have not even considered another machine. And yes, if you decide on the MXT the book "The MXT Edge" is invaluable for the learning process. When I first used my MXT I told myself, man, I can not put up with this chatter and thought I had made a mistake in buying it. But it was just user error and inexperience. I have drug it through the woods, dropped it more than once and have never had a problem with it. If I had had the MXT Edge book from the beginning I would have saved some aggravation and been way ahead in the learning process. If I had more patience I might give the DFX a shot but the MXT has been so great I just have not felt the need to change.

Thanks for all the replies. I picked up the MXT this afternoon. Anyone know where I can pick up the MXT book?
Thanks again
Don