Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT or X-Terra 70

I'm new to this detector thing but have a purchase choice down to these 2 what in your opinions are the best, easiest, better dollar per unit choice, and other things I should consider

BIg question is , What Type of Hunting are you going to be interested...gold...coins...beach...parks...relics in fields...
That will tell a lot.
I have looked at the Xterra 70 and I chose an MXT, to me the learning curve was lss and it was a more sensitive machine.
I love my MXT...when I can get it from my wife. I also have a GMT for gold and meteorites then it is OK if the wife uses the MXT it is good there too.
I have used th MXT for coins and I love the 6X10 DD coil for it I am not even sure where the stock coil is...I also have the 4X6 coil and use it for rocky places and in trashy parks and grounds.
Hope that answers some questions for you.
Another thing you can do is go to the web site for each machine and read the manual...that will tell a lot too as to how much learning it takes to run the machine right.

azdigger -thanks thats good advice, actually I'll be doing all of those types of detecting, more on parks ,home sites and gold- I work in a park so I should be working or at least look like it

Try asking some help questions to both manufacturers , after sales service is important, M.L. seem very slow to answer emails !

Also you can get extra coils for the MXT for only $50 each if you buy now.

Bobby.

thanks Bobby I also ask the same question on xterra room to and got lots of answers- guess its going to come down to drawing straws- i was leaning to mxt but the xterra guys got me wondering- i suppose the first one is the toughest just because of the greenhorn factor

Both are great detectors and for someone with less experience with a detector I feel the MXT is the best choice and the best Whites detector made. I have a MXT for the wife to use, got a X-Terra 70 for my grandson while I use the Explorer SE and the Sovereign GT (my favorite detector) plus I just got a Fisher F-75 to try out. The MXT is probably the funnest detector to use of them all and feel in a hours time you can find more with it the the others, but some of the others will get more older and deeper coins too.
On the MXT we find running the relic mode does the best for us and go by the numbers and the confidence meter more and not the icon. Also some say it is a noisy detector, but we find that it runs great if you don't use the + on sensitivity and use it only when checking out a deeper and weaker signal. With the tracking you don't have to re ground balance either,but if you are checking out a weaker signals where you go over it several time you better lock the tracking or it can track out the signal. We have the 4X6 DD Minni shooter coils for trashy areas as this coil is HOT!! plus the 6X9 for our main coil and seen some nice targets that are deep and with the 4X6 it can separate and get good targets in with trash at some awesome depth.

Hi Perchdoctor,

I tried out a XT70 at a dealer, I placed a bit smaller then pea sized gold nugget on middle mineralised ground, we set the 70' in prospecting mode with its 18Hz elp coil , the result was at best `` 4" inches .

Tried the same with an old whites GM2 ~ 5" !

Bobby.

I would go with a Sovereign Gt[attachment 56992 SovereignGt.jpg]