Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT or X-Terra 70

I'm new to this detector thing, but my purchase choice is down to these 2- anyone have an opinion on which is best overall, price is the same but I need pros and cons thanks

I own both the MXT and the X-Terra 70. And, there are a lot of similarities in the purpose they were designed for. They seem to get about the same depth, using comparable coils in my soil conditions. I can run my X-70 with a higher sensitivity setting (and still not chatter) than I can the MXT.
The thing I like best about the MXT would be the current availability of small coils. Both Whites and aftermarket manufacturers have made a wide variety of coil sizes and configurations available. All at 14kHz.
I personally like the X-Terra better, for many reasons. Among those that come to mind are that it is very lightweight, it is very well balanced, it offers Notch Discrimination, it has the capability of multiple audio tones, it has manual or Auto or Beach GB, it has automatic Noise Cancel, it offers touch pad Pattern selection, it has 3 coil frequency options (3kHz, 7.5kHz and 18.75kHz) and it has an all metal shortcut. There are some other differences between the two. But as I said, these are the ones that stand out to me. HH Randy

Hi,

Well, I've used both a lot and both are very good detectors. Basically if you ask here you are asking people who prefer the X-Terra and so that is the answer you are going to get. Ask the same question of people who chose the MXT over on that forum and you will hear the MXT as the choice.

It really boils down to the feature list and accessory coils. Do you absolutely need notching? Then X-Terra 70. Do you need a small coil right now, not later. MXT. And so on. So is there any feature one of the two units has that the other does not that you feel you need?

Currently I'm using the X-Terra 70 more as I like to notch out pennys, especially zinc pennys. And I like the tones. If White's came out with an MXT II with notching and tones I'd have to look again but for now that is why I'm using the X-Terra.

You can't really go wrong with either.

Steve Herschbach
Steve's Mining Journal

thanks steve & digger I'm from the blackhills of south dakota and will be using it for gold as well as in the parks and old farm and ranch sites, I love history so I sure I'll be relic hunting to, here in south dakota our gold is more fine or flake and I'm not sure any detector would pick that up , am I correct there, I will be going on a cruise this summer and was hoping to check out some beaches along the way so I was hoping one machine would be noticeably better than the other at all of those things I'm sure each person is sold on one or the other but in general I could get some pro's and con's to help make up my mind

Randy.
I hope you don't mind me coming in here. Are you saying that the X-Terra's will run better in more highly mineralised ground? The reason I ask, is that I would like to have a crack at nugget hunting and I can't afford a PI machine, plus the lightness is a big bonus. Also the ground where I'll be hunting is going to be full of Ironstone eta, so it will be testing a VLF machines capabilities.
Mick Evans.

The 70 will bust its balls to find you small gold with the right coil! 18.75khz DD 9.5" and the 6" is coming!
Its not the best on the beach but will do you no dishonour. My backpack, 70 and pan go everywhere with me.....you never know its there shes very light mate.
Cheers!

I am getting out more and more with the 70 in gold areas with hot ground now that the weather is good and Im tellin ya this baby will bust its balls for you! Even with the sensitivity turned down a little you will be very surprised at how responsive it still is. 9.5" DD coil. Do some tests with it and get ready to change your pants!
Cheers!

I can tell you this.....in prospect mode with full sensitivity my 70 will scream louder then my grandmother at a football game on a 0.4 gram peice of gold. Depending on the depth of course and the size of the flakes yes without a doubt it could. I have more faith in this machine then Donald Trump does with his Hair-Do. B.T is the man when it comes to finding small gold, that guy is like a bloodhound on heat even if you say a word that starts with the letter G! If I remember correctly he has mentioned something about spongy gold as well and at how well the 70 picks it up compared to other machines.
Cheers!

I'd have to agree with Steve on the tones. I had both my DFX and X- Terra out today. I used the DFX first with Tone ID and it sure is busy with 120 tones accepted. I switched to the Terra and it was so much easier to use with just the 4 tones, you can concentrate more on detecting without having to look at the meter too much. The Terra is no slouch around trash either, I hunted a cellar hole for the first time and put it in Pattern 1 to disc out some of the iron. It did a great job with that, then I switched to All Metal and it worked good in that situation too.

I know the MXT is more of a gold machine than the DFX but I heard the X Terra is pretty good with the Prospecting mode. If I had to get rid of one of my machines, I'd have to say the DFX goes. Ron

I can't speak for the MXT but I did have an XLT years ago, which I loved! I currently use an Explorer II and an X Terra 70. If I had to give up one detector and keep one it would be the X 70 I would keep. It goes as deep as the Explorer in my soil, most coins that I have found including mid 1700's Coppers are about 6-7" down. The Xterra sounds off no problem. The 70 has an easy to removable control box head. No big deal except you can put it in your carry on in an airplane, leaving the less expensive parts in your checked luggage. The 70 is LIGHT, you can swing it all day and not tire. The 70 loves a slightly faster swing speed, which is great for cruising big fields, the woods or the beach. When it comes time to search a site in a surgical way I use the Explorer II. BUT after checking again with the 70, it usually finds something too. My recommendation is to buy the X Terta, you won't be sorry.

Mick, when I made the response to perchdoctor, I didn't know where he lived or what he was going to be detecting for. Hence, I made my comments generalized toward the two models and how they perform in my area and my with detecting habits. I hunt for old coins at old sites, and my soil is moderately mineralized. So, I'm afraid I can't help you with your questions about hunting for nuggets in ironstone. But hopefully, others more knowledgeable than I will chime in and help you out. HH Randy

G,day Perchdoctor. I have used both machines and like them both. The MXT is a good machine but on gold the Terra 70 will absolutely kill it. You say your gold is mostly small, flakes. The 70 is easily capable of finding gold in flake form down to extremely small sizes. I have recovered numerous bits around the 1/10th, 1/20th and 1/40th of a gram mark. It will find specimens of quartz, conglomerate and so on with rich but small gold which other machines dont register on. Think of a much more advanced goldmaster with better tracking and killer discrimination and your close to the 70. Can I bag the MXT? No, but the 70 does beat it no probs in the gold department. I use the 70 for gold, coins and relics here downunder and love it. I use what works full stop. I dont care who makes it.