Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT Pro and 13 inch Ultimate coil maiden voyage

therover

This is a brief summary....pictures forthcoming.

Took the MXT Pro with the 13 inch Ultimate coil to the beach today. Hunted the dry sand with some spots having lots of iron ( small iron nails and some big iron too) as well as some spots having shallow and surface aluminum.

Bottom line...lots of clad, usual non-ferrous junk (did not dig one nail), a few beat up wheat pennies, 4 mercury dimes, 1 barber dime and 3 V nickels. As always, the MXT Pro is a nickle magnet. The V nickels are pretty beat up. One was right on top of a rusty nail. May use electrolysis on them to see if they clean up a bit.

I am very happy with the Ultimate coil. It's light, has great separation and to me it was optimal at a moderate sweep speed which is good since I don't like to swing fast.

Was running in Coin/Jewelry mode, gain at 9.5, discriminate at 2 and the ground balance set to Ground. It was a really good hunt. Not sure how much more depth I was getting compared to the 10.5 DD or 9 inch concentric since most of these targets were anywhere from 1 to 12 inches down. I did not want to crank the gain up any more since the unit was running super smooth with no falsing. I will however go back to this spot and use my 8x6 SEF and 5.3 concentric to see if I missed anything or if some good targets were masked due to the bigger coil.

Side note...I took the unit down to the wet sand. Switched to Salt mode on the GB setting, lowered the gain a bit and upped the discrimination to 3-4. The unit ran very smooth with hardly any chatter. The wet sand did not have many targets. But in a pinch the MXT Pro with this coil can hunt the wet salt sand. I have other units for that scenario so that's the last time the coil will see the salt water !

I got the coil wet and when I went back to hunt the dry and changed GB settings and upped the gain and lowered the discrim back to 2 the unit was acting up. Figured it was wet sand/salt water in between the coil and coil cover. Took the cover off, cleaned it out and all was back to normal. I usually don't hunt with a coil cover in the wet sand and forgot to take it off.

All in all I am happy with my investment in this coil.

Excellent report. Lots of old coins on the beach.

Rich

Thank you for the information on the coil. Will be great seeing your finds.