Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT Question

w6pea

I have a Sovereign Gt. I do like very much.....Now "She Who must be Obeyed" said last night at dinner I want my own detector.:surprised:

What do you folks think about the MXT as a gold machine, coin & relic machine. Is it an easy machine for my wife to learn? :stars:

Or should I get her a Sovereign GT.:shrug:

Hi...had my MXT since last August and love it. Can't comment on the gold prospecting as I haven't really studied up on that part of it yet. As far as coins, jewelry and relics, it's I'd put it up against any machine out there. There are settings to understand but overall, it's a pretty easy machine. Get a good pinpointer, too.....helps alot.

Tom

Hi My wife has a MXT and would not have any detector. She started out with Garretts and tried my MXT once and that is all it took. Tell your wife good luck with her decision, but she can't go wrong with and MXT. HH Dennis in Idaho

I'm thinking the wife would appreciate an M6. The tone ID would be a great incentive to peak her interest.

I have a Sov GT and an M6 and feel the offsetting modes of operation would be an interesting contrast and promote some competition.The M6 may not be as sensitive as an MXT but is easy to learn and still more sensitive than a Sovereign on smaller targets.Just a thought. HH Bill

I have a X2 pro. Its a great machine also. I think its great on silver. The MXT is great machine and like the fact I can use them both and get it all. Love the Sov on silver and the MXT is a great relic machine. You will be stealing her MXT from time to time I promise.

Well I guess from all of the positive feedback maybe I better get 2.
One for her and one for me.:cheekkiss:

By "gold machine" are you referring to gold jewelry or gold nugget prospecting? Just curious, because the Sovereigns, and I have owned several of them (4), are NOT what I would consider to be a gold nugget seeking detector. Therefore, no sense in getting the better half one like you have.

Now, while I have found gold jewelry with the Sovereigns, I found far more gold jewelry with the MXT. Probably 6 to 8 times as much!

The MXT is a good detector and might be the one to pick for her, but I have to tell you, the Matrix M6 really deserves a hard look. It has the same basic circuitry, same auto-tracking behavior, same discrimination range, and with the same sensitivity and discriminate settings they will operate virtually identically if the MXT is in the Coin & Jewelry mode.

Yes, the MXT offers the 'Relic' mode which is simply a dual-tone audio mode and the TID references are of typical relic hunting finds and not coin hunting finds. But for those who are mainly into coin hunting, the M6 offers the 7-Tone audio ID with the forward flip of the trigger toggle.

With either of them I would suggest a smaller-than-stock coil for most hunting because coins and other desireables are frequently located among various types of trash.

Both excellent picks, in my opinion.

Monte

I just got a M-6, only used it a couple hours this past weekend. So far I'm impressed with it. I had a Sovereign GT which I mainly used at the beach for wet sand hunting. It's a great sensitive machine, but I feel that the M-6 is pretty sensitive too. I've used the GT to coin/relic hunt but felt it didn't get the depth in the ground it gets at the beach. I wanted to get a machine that had a meter, was good for coin hunting and sensitive on jewelry. I've read a lot of good things about the M-6, it pin-points great, 7 tones, it fun to use.I think she will really like it a lot.

It's my second White's metal detector, I haven't used one since 1980. I'm impressed with it, it's a fun machine to use....

Consider buying one MXT and one M6. With the MXT you will get the two extra search modes, Relic and Prospecting. With the M6 you will get tone ID and a quieter threshold. They operate at the same frequency and can share specialty search coils.

I own an MXT and really like it. I have never gone prospecting or relic hunting with it. However, I use the relic mode while I am coin and jewelry hunting. Coinshooting in the relic mode is very easy to do after some experience using coin & jewelry mode to learn the VDI numbers of various good coin & jewelry targets.

I have never operated an M6 but I continue to consider buying one. Tone ID and a quieter threshold is VERY appealing for coinshooting.

I agree with Monte that a smaller coil for high trash areas is a MUST. If you buy both detectors, consider 2 different sizes of smaller coils such as the 5.3 Eclipse and the 3 X 6 DD. There are a number of extra coils offered by White's and 3rd party vendors. Do some research on this and other forums before you buy.

There is one other accessory that I consider a must for the MXT and I suspect it will be the same for the M6. That accessory is a quality headset with a volume limiter. These detectors can be turned up to very high gain. The higher gain helps in finding small and very deep targets. The problem is that when a shallow target is encountered, you get blasted with very high volume unless the headset has a volume limiter. There are a number of headphone manufacturers that incorporate volume limiters. Killer Bees, Gray Ghost, Ratphone are some of them.

Lastly, buy the book "The MXT Edge" by Jeff Foster. It will give you a real understanding of these machines.

Good luck with your purchase decisions.
Have fun, Bob

I am in the same boat you are. I have an MXT, and really like it. Lately I have been thinking about another machine, in hopes of letting someone else use it, with the purpose opening up other areas to hunt.

However, since the two models are so much similar, maybe it would be better to get something that can offset the MXTs weaknesses.

So, all you guys that have experience on different machines, can you help identify situations the MXT/M6 does NOT perform well in, and identify some machines that will pick up the slack?

The MXT is the only detector I have used seriously, and I must say I am more than happy with it! Then again, the grass is always greener...

i love my mxt. hope this helps go to a whites dealer they will show you everything you need to know about mxt. also take your wallet you will need it..........

Jason

Okay

Now that I am totally confused(need more coffee & Bushmills):drinking:

What different coil to use a 4x6in.or a 6x10in.:unsure:

And what about the super 12:confused:

Let's hear it from all of the MXT users who have experience with this detector and any or all of the above coils.:detecting: