Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT related from The Prospecting Forum

RedRockNv

The opinions relate to a number of recent topics.

I took a couple excerpts from Steve's Guide to Gold Nugget Detectors posted by Steve Herschbach
Hope he doesn't mind me posting this.

Four reasons for posting this here.
1. It is about our favorite general purpose detector.
2. It is about detecting gold an often talked about topic and this is nugget season here.
3. Reference to the ground tracking which is ground balance related.
4. Just great respect for Steve's opinion on the MXT.

MXT
Steve's Opinion - What can I say? The MXT has found many hundreds of ounces of gold at Ganes Creek, Alaska. The largest nugget I have found to date, a chunky 6.85 ounce handful, I found with an MXT. It was the machine of choice at Ganes Creek for good reason. While not as hot on tiny gold as it's cousin, the GMT, the MXT actually is smoother operating in mixed hot rocks than the GMT, allowing faint signals from large, deep nuggets to be more easily discerned. For hunting hot ground the 6" x 10" DD coil is a better choice than the stock concentric coil while the 4" x 6" Shooter DD coil is the way to go to enhance the MXTs small gold capability. The MXT Pro is the way to go as the Ground grab button alone is worth the few extra dollars. Bottom line is if you want a safe choice in a general purpose (nuggets, coins, beach, relics, etc.) machine you need look no farther than the MXT.

VXi
Steve's Opinion - The V3i has a dedicated Prospecting Mode and can be run at a relatively hot 22 kHz. Because it costs more, many people assume it must be even better than the MXT for prospecting. That, however, is not the case. The V3i was designed first and foremost as a powerful coin detecting machine. The MXT is based on the GMT circuit therefore has a superior ground tracking system. The bottom line is the V3i is a fantastic piece of technology, but the vast majority of the features you are paying for are not needed for nugget detecting. That said, the V3i can certainly find gold nuggets. I saw a proficient user find several ounces of gold at Ganes Creek using a V3i. But if prospecting is going to be one of the main goals then the MXT or some of the other detectors mentioned here could serve as well or better for less money.

I've read Steven's essays several times.

Where is your input to bring out the point you are trying to make?

I would like to ask what you took away from your reading of Steve's work? He puts a lot of information in to as few words as possible. That is something I greatly appreciate.

It is gold nugget season here in the western US so I was looking at the prospecting section.

My point was simple. Correctly setup the MXT is a gold finder.

Ground balance is a reoccuring topic which it doesn't need to be. As Steve pointed out "The MXT is based on the GMT circuit therefore has a superior ground tracking system." The ground tracking system keeps the machine in balance. Lock should only be used by hunters that really know the machine and the ground they are working over. IMHO.

A better use of a hunters setup time is getting threshold and gain working together to give you a stable threshold & minimal chatter so you can hear the faint deep targets.

RedRock:

My impression of Steve's methods and techniques are as follows:

- He has been nugget hunting longer than I have been detecting and I started in 82 and didn't start nugget hunting until 2004.

- With the MXT Pro he detects he usually runs with ground tracking off and updates with the ground grab button.

- He used the MXT to get the larger and deeper nuggets and the GMT for the fine gold.

- When needed he will use the discrimination mode on the MXT to knock out the trash.

- He has been successful by detecting in areas with a lot of trash because others have given up and move on to greener pastures. His persistence results in more gold.

- He will use the Minelab GPX 5000 or other PI detector when it is needed.

I have an MXT Pro that I have only used nugget hunting once in the Sierra for about 2 hours. I have the 12", 6" X10" DD Whites coils and the 6"X8" Detech SEF coil. I plan to do more nugget detecting this summer in the Sierra. I previously owned a Tesoro Lobo that I used quite a bit in AZ and did okay with it. I also used a 2" Keene high banker and dredge during the spring when water was available.

I just purchased a F75SE from AK Mining after reading Steve's report and the success he had with it. In addition it is about a pound lighter than the MXT and has a lot better ergonomics. Also as I am left handed it is easer for me to change settings. So far I like the F75SE and am getting used to its hyper-activity in urban areas. I plan to take the F75 and MXT nugget hunting and see which one I like best and then sell the other one.

ArizFlash said:
RedRock:

My impression of Steve's methods and techniques are as follows:

- He has been nugget hunting longer than I have been detecting and I started in 82 and didn't start nugget hunting until 2004.

- With the MXT Pro he detects he usually runs with ground tracking off and updates with the ground grab button.

- He used the MXT to get the larger and deeper nuggets and the GMT for the fine gold.

- When needed he will use the discrimination mode on the MXT to knock out the trash.

- He has been successful by detecting in areas with a lot of trash because others have given up and move on to greener pastures. His persistence results in more gold.

- He will use the Minelab GPX 5000 or other PI detector when it is needed.

I have an MXT Pro that I have only used nugget hunting once in the Sierra for about 2 hours. I have the 12", 6" X10" DD Whites coils and the 6"X8" Detech SEF coil. I plan to do more nugget detecting this summer in the Sierra. I previously owned a Tesoro Lobo that I used quite a bit in AZ and did okay with it. I also used a 2" Keene high banker and dredge during the spring when water was available.

I just purchased a F75SE from AK Mining after reading Steve's report and the success he had with it. In addition it is about a pound lighter than the MXT and has a lot better ergonomics. Also as I am left handed it is easer for me to change settings. So far I like the F75SE and am getting used to its hyper-activity in urban areas. I plan to take the F75 and MXT nugget hunting and see which one I like best and then sell the other one.

the results of that nugget hunting test between the mxt and the f75, must be something interesting to see