Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT--SEF

Joel-Winnipeg

Went to a new spot that hasn't seen a detector.
Old fill under the turf which yielded some old junk.
Not many modern coins but silvers about 5-6 inches deep
Got 2 quarters a 55 and 61
Pulled out a dime which was a 1964. About
60 cents in other clad.older pennies in the 50-60s
Sef coil handles targets nice and clear.
Not into posting photos

As an alert to those who are newer to the different Forums I post on who don't know me, please be aware that I 'usually' do not like most Double-D [size=small](D-D or Wide-Scan)[/size] search coils, so I might often have a bias when I read, and respond, to posts where the operator uses a D-D coils, either factory-produced or after-market.

That said, in this case it isn't really a direct comment about DD's, nor am I trying to bash the comments. I am simply seeking a better description of the performance of the MXT and SEF [size=small](D-D)[/size] search coil. Also, a better description of the site make-up where the MXT and SEF coil were worked.

Joel-Winnipeg said:
Went to a new spot that hasn't seen a detector.
Old fill under the turf which yielded some old junk.
Not many modern coins but silvers about 5-6 inches deep
Got 2 quarters a 55 and 61
Pulled out a dime which was a 1964. About
60 cents in other clad.older pennies in the 50-60s.
I appreciate your hunting a spot that hasn't seen a detector. Most such sites are private property and, when lucky, can be very good producers. It looks like you found such a spot. Congratulations!

Now, for me at least, the kind of general information I appreciate reading or hearing about is the TYPE of site hunted. Not the specific location, but the 'type' of site, such as a private yard, a school, a park, a homestead, renovation work, ghost towns, stage stop, etc., etc.

The Target Count or Target Density at a site, such as 'sparse' or 'moderate', or maybe 'dense' or 'very littered.'

If the searcher knows or can describe the ground mineral content it would help, and using some models [size=small](such as the MXT's)[/size] you could report the Ground Phase or Ground Balance read-out [size=small](as found in the Prospecting mode)[/size].

Another plus would be to know the SETTINGS used, such as Gain/Sensitivity, Discrimination, and other functions chosen.

Finally, it's nice to know the SEARCH COIL choice, to include the 'type' [size=small](Concentric or Double-D)[/size], and size (coil diameter). In some cases, such as with a White's coil I prefer the actual physical size of the coil rather than some label names. The best example is the Blue Max 600, 5.3 Black Max and 5.3 Bullseye coils for the XLT, XL Pro, Classic's and other which are all the same physical size coils measuring about 6

The coil that was used was the 8x6 sef. The one that was on the MXT
was the original 9.5 factory which is an excellent one at that.
The area in which was hunted was a park a few acres surrounded
by houses access only by 3 small paths between these houses.
The soil is black loan sand and clay mix. As said the mixture is interlaced
with small rocks and cement pieces and junk not really ideal to hunt in.
Setting were as follows;
Gain at 9 -Threshold at 11:00 o'clock-Disc lower than nickel
Mode was Relic trigger forward balance than lock.
I find most of the targets under the emblem of the coil as the spot to dig.
I had the 10 DD on in the past and could never get the hang of it so
sold it.
Monte appreciate your comments and thank you for them and really
like the MXT as a detector which is easy to set up and hunt with.
Wish Whites would go back to using knobs rather than what they use
in todays models. Just my opinion.
This MXT is a 2008 vintage trouble free one so far.

I just saw a real eye opening video of a SEF 6x8 coil on an mxt by keith southern. I had always thought the whites 6x10 was the way to go....now not so sure.

Congrats on the finds, an un-hunted spot is as rare to find as hens teeth...lol

The 8x6 SEF stays on my M6.......

Congrats on the finds. Love seeing that silver coming out of the ground. Thanks for sharing your finds. Please keep us posted when you get to go back. HH, Nancy

Monte, my testing, in Oregon type soil, has shown the 8x6 SEF coil to be the best all around performer, for the MXT, in park/school environments. As you know, we have highly mineralized soil around here.
It will go deeper than the 5.3 eclipse, YET, separate targets better than the 9.5 concentric. It outperforms White's 9x6 Eclipse.
Some complain about difficulty in pinpointing with DDs. I have never had a problem. While the signal is a little broader front to back, than side to side, it can be used that way with experienced ears. Otherwise, just "X" the target.

If I'm trying to go deepest for coins, I'll use the 10" DD - the best for that job with an MXT.

Trashier sites: 8x6 SEF. Terrific coil.

Testing with targets close to each other, clearly shows how signals are more frequently masked using a concentric coil. I would only pull mine out if EMI interference were a problem.

Of course you are always welcome to come over for a demonstration ;-)

George

glabelle said:
Monte, my testing, in Oregon type soil, has shown the 8x6 SEF coil to be the best all around performer, for the MXT, in park/school environments. As you know, we have highly mineralized soil around here.
Yes. I sure won't argue with you about our Western Oregon ugly mineral ground. I have some long-time favorite ghost town and other old-use sites I enjoy hunting in Eastern Oregon, Nevada and Utah that can be even more challenging [size=small](higher Ground Phase read-out)[/size], but compared with many other places I have hunted in Oregon and many other states between here and New Jersey and Florida, much of Western Oregon [size=small](and SW Washington)[/size] are just flat out challenging

glabelle said:
It will go deeper than the 5.3 eclipse, ...
I have, and have not, experienced that in side-by-side testing. Just as there is no single 'perfect' detector, there is no 'perfect' single search coil. I know one fellow in the greater Portland metro area who went through several search coils with his original White's MXT and settled in on the 8X6 SEF coil. I compared it against my own MXT at the time, and I had my 5.3 Eclipse coil mounted. Where we compared, at three locations including Portland, Hillsboro and West Linn, I did note that their depth of detection was very similar, and if there was an 'edge', it favored my MXT w/5.3 Eclipse set-up.

We did, by the way, make sure we had the same settings and Ground Balanced over the same spot when we were doing our comparisons. He did note that in the trashier areas, my MXT and 5.3 Eclipse [size=small](6

Yes as Monte said I have been using the 8x6 SEF and I like the coil a lot. As far as the depth compared to the Eclipse 5.3 I really don't see that much difference. Monte and I tested them and as he said the 8x6 did detect just slightly deeper. I like to use the 8x6 in semi trashy areas and open spaces. The eclipse 5.3 I find that I use it more in trashier areas. The VDI numbers are tighter less jumpy and I feel it might do a bit better job working through iron,rusted tin and the sort that I encounter at Ghost towns and old homestead sites.

Each coil is a great coil and I have found lots of good stuff with each. But like detectors, their isn't one perfect coil. For example, coil performance aside, one area I hunt is now in pasture etc. When its cut then I have to deal with the stubble. The 5.3 with its enclosed dish shape design glides right through the stubble whereas the 8x6 with its spoke design wants to snag up a lot on the stubble. I have a MXT Pro , a M6 and a Classic IDX and that also goes for coils as well, I always take a selection with me. That way I am pretty much covered for all types of hunting that I may encounter.
I use a 12x 10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Eclipse 5.3, 9" Spider Coil, 5" DD Excelerator coil. I also have the 12" concentric coil, but it just hangs on the wall. I had three 10" DD (D2) coils at one time or another and got rid of each. Did not like the performance and the jumpy numbers using that coil, felt it was just a poor coil. And on the Classic I use a 5.3 bullseye and a 350 snooper coil.

And as there are as many different detectors and coils there will be as many different opinions. So what I stated above is what works for me. What counts is what works for you.

p.s just got the new 5x10 SEF delivered today. Curious to get out and give it a try, see how it does. I got a MX5 from Monte last week. I think I'll put that coil on it and make it a park hunting machine.

p.s.s. Monte I hope you don't see this post about me getting another DD coil lol :smoke:

OregonGregg said:
p.s just got the new 5x10 SEF delivered today. Curious to get out and give it a try, see how it does. I got a MX5 from Monte last week. I think I'll put that coil on it and make it a park hunting machine.
MXT Pro = Good pick.
M6 = Good pick.
MX5 = Good pick.
IDX Pro = Good pick.
Classic ID = Good pick.

9" Spider Concentric = Good pick.

But Monte, if I don't stick it on the MX5, where do you suggest I stick it ??? uhh !! never mind don't answer. But yes I will give it a try, in fact I will see you this weekend in Portland. You can give it a try....in fact I am willing to bet that after using the MX5 with the 5x10 SEF you might want to buy the machine back with that coil !!

I have a sef 5x10 coil also. I tried it and the eclipse 5.3 on my mx5. I like the 5.3 better. It seems to me the perfect match for the mx5. I put the 5x10 on my DFX to use on the school and park playgrounds, and it works
good for that. I set up a custom program on my DFX for playgrounds, so I can get in and around the metal posts and play equipment. I am really liking my MX5. It is so light, I can swing it for hours. I find myself leaving
my v3i home, because after only 15 or 20 minutes swinging it, my back is killing me, even with a small coil.

Yes I agree the eclipse 5.3 is a very good coil and for the type of hunting I like to do it works great. If someone told me that I could use one coil only, the 5.3 would be my 1st pick.

No, I won't be buying your 5X10 SEF of anyone elses for that matter. Not the coil for my type of hunting and site choices. I usually want, and need, a smaller-size coil, and the 6

Had a chance to meet up with Monte this morning. Tried the 5x10 SEF and it worked as it should. I didn't see any advantage over the 8x6 SEF other than its a 10" coil so you gain a bit more coverage. Being that I already have the 8x6 I will prob sell this coil while its still in new cond. I don't need two SEFs of approx. the same size. I could see that if you wanted to cover open areas and not have to use a great big coil, this coil would work nice. Fairly light and still get good coverage being it is a 10" coil.

somebody ought to snap up this new 5X10 SEF. Less than 30-60 minutes of use [size=small](we were also working with his pristine XL Pro)[/size], so now he can just assign one of his other 'V' rated coils to his MXT All-Pro, M6 and MX5 and maybe buy old maps, brass brushes for cleaning coins, tokens and artifacts, more display boxes and individual plastic cases, gas & grub for his trips to older sites in Oregon, Idaho and Nevada, ... and useful and needed stuff instead of search coils.:thumbup:

Let's see: a 12" Concentric for bigger targets in open territory. Mount the 9" spider Concentric on the MXT All-Pro for less trashier spots. Work the 5" Excelerator or 8X6 SEF or extra 5.3 Eclipse on his often-used M6, and the 6

I bought a new MXT Pro package from him a few months back.

One of the best purchases I ever made....the MXT Pro is a super good unit. Gregg gave me a great deal too and I thank him again for it.

Can't help him much with the coil since he stated the 8x6 SEF is just as good, and I got one of them already !! HA !

Glad your liking the MXT Pro, is a great machine. Sure ya don't need another coil. I pd 159.95 + 7.50 shipping. I will let it go for $139.00 shipped lower 48. If anyone interested send a PM