Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT to Spectra V3 - Anyone make this leap?

astraeas

I'm planning to purchase a Spectra V3 in the Fall. However, I'm becoming concerned by all V3's popping up for sale with the user stating its too confusing to learn it. I just got back into metal detecting about 6 months ago after being out of the hobby for 9 years (my detector back then was a White's XLT which I loved). I'm a fairly patient person when it comes to learning something new. So....has anyone gone from the MXT to the Spectra V3? What are your thoughts?

YES, I did. I have worked out with the V3 for over 6 hours and still unable to understand a darned thing about it. I had to send it back in and they made some
adjustments to it and I now have a version 1.3. I still haven't been able to find even one coin of any kind and go back to my truck get out my MXT and find all
kinds of change (mostly clad and the newer pennies) I've read the manual a lot and studied the DVD a lot. Just unable to do anything with it at all. So I guess it will just sit in my closet from now on as I still think that the_ M____X_____T_is still the best. Good luck on it if you buy one. HH, KC

I have no idea how it compares to an MXT, but I don't find it hard to learn at all. I've found about 150 coins with mine so far, and the only thing I really need to adjust is the gain (to cut out EMI, which I get in a few places). Certainly, there is a lot you can learn about it, but you don't have to in order to get started finding things.

I did it. Glad I did it. It's not really that hard to use. All you have to do is follow the menu screens. Also, if you watch the V3 videos on Youtube, the're very helpful as well.

If you're a 100% "turn the knob and make it work" kinda guy then you should stick with the MXT, otherwise come on over to the dark side :bouncy:

Sorry to hear that KC...that hasn't been the luck of most of the other users on here.

I have had my V3 sense March of this year, I have found over 1500 coins, 6 silver coins 2 gold rings. Yes it is a complicated machine, but if you take the time to learn it you want Be sorry. I have used DFX,XLT, and M6 machines, plus Garrett 2500, Fisher CZ3D, I would rate the Spectra V3 above all of them. The key is to use the V3 in preset mode for a minimum 20 hours. I took right to it because the last machine I used was a DFX. The V3 is a much more sensitive than the DFX.

Like I said earlier the key is to read the manual through several times and use the machine in preset mode. Then after you are more familiar with the V3 start making changes. This machine (Spectra V3) is not, I repeat for the novas. But if you are willing to learn, this is the best machine on the market in my opinion.

I have Metal Detecting off/on for over 30 years. So I do have a basic knowledge of the sport. There is a lot more people who are far more qualified than I am, who all say the same thing that I do about the V3.

Compared to an MXT yes it is much more complicated but that is an apples to oranges. You mentioned the xlt, good machine but once you have used the V 3 the xlt will seem cumbersome to change settings since you have to go back through all the menus on the xlt to make changes.
With the V 3 all the pre set settings for each program are right on the main screen and all you have to do is scroll over to them. The thing I love about the V 3 is live changes, in other words if you are in sensitivity mode you can keep increasing it and listening until you get it maxed out then back it down. You can also decide what you want on your main screen but I have not taken the time to figure that one out.

It's funny but I am using only the high pro mode for relics and only make a few tweaks in the field. I need to get busy and take some photos and post about my deep relic finds. I wonder if people are holding out and don't want other users to know how deep this thing will go and how sensitive it is to small brass and I am sure gold if you are a gold hunter.

Also the single frequency mode like 22.5 is really handy around power lines and will not miss any small items. I am waiting to see some $1.00 gold coins come to the surface with this machine since I am picking up pcs. of melted lead the size of a pencil lead and 22 cases and bullets gallore so I know it will not miss a cuff button or gold coin for sure.

Jerry

I have both, finally learned the MXT pretty well then I bought the V3. Have found lots of colonial stuff ,flat buttons and coppers that I had missed with the Mxt. This thing really hits on the buttons and copper coins BUT they were only about 4-5 inches deep.My real interest is in civil war era bullets which are deep were I hunt them. The lack of actual targets, bullets at that site has prevented me from seeing how it will do relic hunting for civil war bullets, I know what the MXT will do. I think the jury is still out on the V till you get some get used at a DIV event then we will see how it stacks up, I am hoping it does well. I think the decision for MXT or V3 depends on what you are hunting for. Coins and gold rings etc the V wins but for ease of operation and a proven proformer, MXT.

wow......... I must Be lucky to get a good working V3 from the start , As I just use the Stock Coin & Jewelry Program and have found a jar full of Clad and 2 Rings and 1 small earring and some costume Jewelry, with only 15 hours of use.

I find the V3 to be very easy to operate and the pre set programs are pretty strong programs, in some case's I must turn my RX Gain - sensitivity down. I think some people think They must have the gain - Sensitivity at full Max or they think they are not getting there money's worth,

I have the same issue with my Sovereign Gt, as I must keep the sensitivity at only 30% on the GT to keep it stable, But I still have great depth...... Same with the V3.

Now there were other Detectors that I have used that you Must have the Gain - sensitivity at Max to get anything out of it...... it just depends on the detector

I have an MXT and bought the Vision two months ago, And sold the Vision two weeks ago going back with the MXT.

I really liked the Vision but felt the Vision in prospecting mode didn't fare as good as the MXT in extreamly poor ground, Even with the Vision SAT speed cranked up (15-20) for a faster threshold recovery it wasn't as good as the MXT's prospecting SAT mode.

Everything else I enjoyed, Over all it's fine machine and in good ground the Vision/V3 is at it's best.

Paul (Ca)

Ive had better promise,prospecting with the V3 than the MXT.I dont own an MXT anymore but my brother still has his.I took my V3 to our claim this past weekend and while I struck out nugget hunting,I did get the V3 to find some small pieces of gold in the area we were digging for material to run through our sluice.Both pieces are pictured below,the larger is 1.3 grain and the other is .9 grain.I have no doubt the V3 wouldnt have picked these up without being unearthed somewhat,but my brothers MXT wouldnt pick them up at all after I laid them on a rock.I know its just a matter of time before I find a nugget worth while with the V3.The way it was finding buried 22 brass and small pieces of lead it will just take being in the right spot.I found countless 22 brass and the expanded piece of lead bullet was found at close to eight inches deep.
Im no expert with the V3 and the only changes I made to the prospecting mode was to raise the gain and discrimination to just under being unstable.My gain ended up being at 9 with the discrim. at 90.I did get what I believe to be some falsing but it was always in the high VDI range,some hot rocks too Im sure.
P1010423.JPG

P1010422.JPG

Thanks everyone for the great information! I'm leaning towards purchasing a Spectra V3 in the Fall. I'll probably keep my MXT as a backup detector. Hopefully, White's will have all the bugs worked out of the Spectra by then. I recently purchased 2 new coils (the 6 x 10 DD and the 4 x 6 shooter) for my MXT which I made sure were Vision ready. I guess White's had to tweak the current coils to make sure their fully compatible with the Spectra. BhNuggett: I would love to hunt for gold.....never had the chance. I live in Kansas City so we don't have the opportunities that some of you have like nugget hunting or lots of civil war relics (there are some found). Guess next summer I'll have to plan a metal detecting vacation to somewhere like Virginia, Florida, or Georgia! Again, thanks everyone for the valuable information.

It has been my observation that those coming from a DFX to a V have had much fewer issues than those coming from the MXT to the V. I came from the DFX and have never used a MXT but for me the transition was extremely easy.