Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT vs X-Terra 705 for park & beach jewelry & occasional nugget hunting

Druid

Hi All,

I am hoping for replies from those who have used both machines, and what their relative strengths and weaknesses may be in your experience?
I have some experience with the MXT back when it was released, and none whatsoever with the X-Terra line.
I am interested in the units ability to find small gold jewelry, and handle mineralized soils, and operate reasonably well for some salt beach use. I have made the same post in the MXT forum in the interest of fairness, hopefully no one will be offended.
Any replies greatly appreciated!

HH,
Drew.

Having used both XT-70 is a more sophisticated unit having many more useable facets and is much lighter. to name a few, noise cancel, choice of 5 audio tone features and above all a superior notch system. As far as gold nuggetts all we have are coal nuggets so don't have a prayer in this aspect...

and I agree. I've used both extensively. Both offer large, easy to read displays. Both offer the user a specific "gold hunting" mode. Both offer exceptional service after the sale. And both will provide years of enjoyment to coinshooters, relic hunters, beach combers and prospectors. If Minelab didn't have the X-Terra series, I'd probably still be using my MXT in certain applications.

However, in addition to what Dan mentioned, (tones, notches etc) I like having a choice of three coil frequencies (eight coil choices) on the X-Terras. Granted, the X-Terra does not have aftermarket coil availability like White's has. But it is nice to not be locked into one frequency. (MXT is 14 kHz). With the X-Terra, you have the choice of using a lower frequency for silver and copper, higher frequencies for jewelry hunting or gold prospecting or the mid-frequencies for all around metal detecting! I like using half as many batteries, for twice as long. I like having the ability to offset my tracking so I can continually hunt with a positive ground phase. I like having a TID system that don't have to be switched to a relic mode to obtain more than one tone. I like being able to switch back and forth from Patterns to All Metal with the press of one button, and not having to turn (and adjust) a knob. I like having the option of fixed Pinpoint or Sizing Pinpoint. I like the ergonomics. And I like knowing that I can turn on the backlight if I'm not ready to go home yet!! With all that said, I do like the concept of the trigger switch on the MXT. Very easy to activate Pinpoint or "pulltab notch". And I like the fact that White's offers a 2-year transferrable warranty. Minelab offers a 3-year warranty on their X-Terras. But it is not transferrable.

Both are quality detectors and I don't think you would go wrong with either. Personally, I like the X-Terra better for my style of hunting. JMHO HH Randy

I sold my MXT to get my X-70. Never thought I would sell the MXT for anything. But, I got the bug for a new detector and have never looked back. The MXT was, (is) a good machine but with the X-70 I have found more small jewelery and nickels in 5 months then I ever did with the MXT. Good Luck. Yes, the light weight is one thing you will really get to like.

:minelab: This is 'Good News' for an 'Ole set of ears!

Before I bought my first detector I researched everything out there and nearly bought the MXT but opted for a Garrett. Last winter I upgraded to a Garrett GTP1350 and just this week I called my local dealer and asked him if we could make a deal for a 'New' X-Terra 70. He said he was sure we could work something out so I drove over to his shop. An hour later, I was the proud owner of a 'New' X70
and I think I made the right decision. Don't get me wrong fellas ... the GTP1350 is one awesome machine but it's heavy. This 'Ole boy recently turned 65 years young and I simply couldn't swing that Garrett for more than two hours without getting tired. For anyone out there that hasn't held an X-Terra 70 in their hands ... well ... they've got to check this machine out! I can't believe the weight difference! I'm not sorry I took the plunge. Who knows? Maybe I'll buy the 705 next or maybe the Safari? Just thought I'd put my two cents in the pot. Now that I've spent a nickle, I'll get down off my soap box.

SeniorSeeker/Michigan

Thank you all for taking the time to reply,

As I said I had a MXT and found it a fine unit, my problem was that the audio was too overpowering after long hunts, but the performance still calls to me! After the info posted here, (unfortunately no bites on the MXT forum), I took the plunge and bought a 705 pro-pack from my local dealer with the 9" 7.5 Khz and the elliptical HF coil and he gave me a deal on a 9" 3 Khz also so, I have a great set up to start out with I think.
I will be hanging out to pick up tips and search the archives while I learn.
Thanks for sharing, it is appreciated!

Drew.

While you are waiting for the machine it would do you well to visit the FAQFAQ section. Tons of info that will be very helpful. You scored the 3KHz?? That is my favorite coil, it loves silver. Good Luck.

Well congrats on the new X-Terra! i know you will enjoy it. I hope you have many great finds with it, Beale.