Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT was "Bested" today

Groundshaker

A friend of mine ,invited me along to detect at a rural PA farm house. He fired up his ace 250 w/small shooter coil and i fired up my MXT with the super 12 coil. I went to ground balance,and the coil ended up on iron,,,,,,or so i thought.I moved over and tried again,,,,and hit foil then it jumped to ring,then to foil.

I thought to myself "What the Heck?". I held up the coil,and it still jumped around,changing every two seconds or so.

I turned it off and set it down and looked around.Power transformer was 40 feet away (which cycles 60 times a second).So i turned and kept looking,,,,,AH Haaaaaaaaaaaaa !!! About 60 feet away is 20 acres of grazing land with an Electric Fence !!!!!! Smart me,immediately switched over to the 4X6 DD shooter coil,,,,,,, No pooh pooh Nada ! still picked up the pulsating EMI from the hot fence. I even turned my gain down all the way and no change. So i put my MXT in the car and sat and pouted while my friend tried to dig into rock hard dirt. End result,,,22 shells misc trash metal Ha Ha ! It just wasn't our day to detect LOL............Tom

P.S. We pondered turning off the Electric Fence.But there is this HUGE Herford Bull,,that was in heat yeppers he was looking at my Ford Focus Wagon like it was his long lost girlfriend...Nope we left the fence alone and kept that horney 5 ton tiger tank on the other side of the fence.

And that's a lot of bull. :rofl: Next time you should try taking your battery pack out while the machine is on and then put it back in. That might take care of it. I've found out that if your batteries are low, you might not get any better results by taking them out. I've not had much problems with transformers, etc. Just yesterday I was hunting close to one and my MXT was as quiet as a mouse. The other guy had a situation like you did. Then he changed the batteries. HH and good luck, Nancy

Let's put that little bit of info back into the back of our minds.....I would have hung up the day as well...

Thanks for sharing/Cliff

Hmmmm,"Reboot" Never thought of that. But this electric fence box was one of those "Binford 5000" models (well it was a big unit). It really was ok not to detect.When i saw how hard the ground was....I would have "Hung up my spurs" anyhow. Unless there was a 5 ounce nugget out there,,,no way Jose'.
Battery level was 11.

Thanx Nance :thumbup:

I've detected right along an electric fence. At about 2 feet you get a slight ping ping ping noise that only sounds as the periodic charge races past. If you listen to it for a while, get used to what noise is normal, you can continue and even detect under it without loosing any targets.