Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My 1st hammered coin!

Smithfire

A great day for me this Sunday!

Out on the club dig in Oxfordshire (UK) farmland. Had changed from a 10.5" DD 7.5K to the 18.75K 10"x5"......1st time I've changed to the higher frequency since owning a X-terra 70.

Wandered over the 1st field.....not a single good signal. On the way to the next field I dug a small grey pewter button. Better than nothing.

I'd walked about 50 yards into the next field when I got a nice signal, around the 24-26 mark, I dig a good sized square clod and turn it over, and I see what looks like another button the same as the 1st. So I pick it up expecting to find a loop.....no loop. At that moment I see the writing and realise I've found my 1st medievil hammered coin! Punch the air and shout "YES". What a rush!.

Its an Elizabeth 1st half groat minted in London 1591-2.

I like to think it was the high frquency coil that sniffed it out but I guess I'll never be certain?

Clive

.....well done Clive....great coin!!!

Nah mate.......you would of found that with the 10.5" 7.5Khz DD coil......my mate has found load of hammies with that coil.

Gaz.

Congrats Clive

That a beauty mate :clapping:
may there be many more

T59

WOOHOO awesome find wish we had the history here!!! Congratz buddy :thumbup:

That is cool I would to dig a coin that old. Medieval coins must be cool to dig up. Probably akin to Mayan or Aztec relics in Mexico and CA.

That is where I would like to spend some tine beeping.

Jeff

Nice find Clive. I can only dream of finding coins of that era. As to your comment about the higher frequency coil, I agree. Although the coins I find are not nearly the vintage of those in your part of the world, I've found my 6-inch DD at 18.75 to be a silver coin killer! HH Randy

Thanks Digger

The 18.75khz 5x10" DD coil really made an instant impression on me for being good on the thin hammered coins we get here in the UK. Think I'll keep it on for a while to see how my finds differ from those I found at 7.5khz.

Clive

I have found most of my silver coins with the 5x10 too. I guess it's because that's what I have on the most :)

I recently went over a spot on a park with my Sovereign GT. This same spot I thought was hunted out by the x-terra both 5x10 and 10.5 MF DD. It's about 10sqm in size. My last two hunts there with the xterra yielded nothing.

This time though with the sovereign I pulled out SEVEN silver coins (including one large silver coin) and two large copper coins in the same area! It's amazing how different frequencies will find different things. So yes play with different frequency coils.

Cheers
Snoop