Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

my 70's whites coinmaster is still pumping out piles!

SWAMP HAWK

its a coinmaster 4 d /b . thinking of trying out another coil any ideas?? iv got the one it came with right now but i think i would like to change it up a tad. went out today with a friend and found a pile of clad and a ring. anybody have any oldschool hints on better settings to use on this beast. thanks for checking out my post!

That would be circa late 1970s. A vlf/tr. The vlf all-metal mode is still ok (akin to today's all-metal modes of most machines), but the TR is very dated. It'd probably be outhunted by even the cheaper detectors of today, is my hunch, when it comes to the disc. mode. You can probably get a bigger coil, and go deeper. But the draw-backs for larger coils is, more fishy operation of sounds co-mingling, more prone to masking, trouble pinpointing, less sensitivity to smaller targets, etc.... And there comes a point where you no longer get coin signals any deeper. Just larger targets deeper.

Usually the coil size that is stock is usually the optimum for coin-sized targets, on any machine. But probably if you went to a 10" coil, you might eak out a bit more depth on coins with that. And you can even try other even larger sizes they made, but as said: with the inherent drawbacks, so probably 10" is as big as you'd want to go with that, for standard coin/jewelry hunting. But with the $ you'd spend on that, might just be better to invest in something that isn't 35-ish yrs. old :)

Doh! the minute I hit "post", I realized I had thought I was on a different T'net forum! I didn't realize I was in the "analog" forum specifically for older/vintage machines. Thus please accept my apology for diss'ing your 4db. I thought it was someone who simply didn't know they had an old machine, to begin with! :)

dont worry swamphawk he was the first one that "dissed" my 60s goldmaster too . (im not sore i just thought it was funny).

run it with a "barely" audible threshold!..at this setting you will realize maximum depth!
set discrimination to eliminate "nails" only,so as to NOT effect depth,AND listen for "faint" signals
as these will be your coins around 4 to possibly 5" inches down!..my 4db found me 'tons" of "silver"
when 100 htz "high frequency" "tr's" were the cats a** around '77' of '78 or so,just before the advent of
(v.l.f) detectors!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The White's Coinmaster 4/DB is an excellent detector when used by an experienced and determined detectorist. One of our longtime Central Texas Treasure Club members prefers his 4/DB over any of the newer machines and for good reason. Our club holds a Finds-of-the-Month contest every month at our meetings. When the points are added up at the end of the year, the member who has the most points becomes our club's Treasure Hunter of the Year. Currently, Ralph and his 4/DB (exactly like yours), are running in third place in the competition and that's mainly because he's been unable to hunt much for the past two months. He's still running well ahead of many members who use much more expensive newer detectors. A couple of years ago, Ralph won a brand new AT Pro in our club's Open Competition Hunt, using his old machine. I don't think he's even hunted with the AT Pro a single time. Like any metal detector, the more you use it, the better it gets. :)
~Texas Jay

Oh, he was happy alright. Ralph just doesn't display his feelings very openly. Just before he learned that he had found the winning AT Pro token, he was awarded $50 cash for the Early Bird Entry prize. :)
~Texas Jay

My Coinmaster 5 Supreme GEB-db came after my Goldmaster and C&G Tech Bobcat and before my Nautilus LF..all from the 70s. Good stuff when coins and relics were everywhere.
:clapping:

Geo

I bought a White's Coinmaster 5000/D a few months after I posted the above comment. It's in perfect condition and works beautifully. It's so much fun to use that I used it more in the past two months than I used my digital detectors. I knew it was an excellent detector when it first came out about 35 years ago but it has amazed me with some really nice finds. It gobbles up quarters and it totally ignores rusty bottle caps that are a nuisance with my digital machines while still detecting gold and silver jewelry which is what I like to find. I have noticed several other advantages that these old detectors have over the newer ones. Although you have to overlap your swings a lot more with the 5000/D, when you get a good signal, you don't have to dig a hole the size of a dinner plate to retrieve a dime. The target is always going to be directly under the small White's logo on the center of your coil. Since they're not motion detectors, you don't have to keep swinging the coil back and forth over a target.
Here are a few photos of the 5000/D and some finds I've made with it, including a beautiful Texas A&M sterling silver bracelet that I found just outside of a baseball outfield fence.
~Texas Jay