Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My ATX is back at Garrett for mostly self inflected repairs

-
I sent my ATX back to Garrett on December 16th and paid for Two Day Delivery. It did not arrive until 10-days later (December 26th). The Christmas Crunch Got It.

My two problems listed below with photos.

Problem 1
Rubber coil hinge bushing on my ATX was shredding. From day one of using it, the coil would not hold it's position. I would have to fold it further then I wanted and it would spring back to a different angle, which was a pain to keep it at the angle I wanted. I've tighten the tension screw in and out to different tensions and it still springs back like a rubber band.

Problem 2
I was getting my ATX ready for use the next morning. I was loading the batteries and pushing in the battery covers with the machine laying on the kitchen table. The machine slid backwards and flipped off the table, I grabbed the coil just as the back of the machine hit the kitchen floor. I thought nothing of it and finished loading the batteries, and put the machine in my vehicle for use the next day.

When I got out on the sand at the beach, turned the machine on, and nothing was coming out of the headphones, sound was only coming from the internal speaker. So I check the headphone connection, and not only did the headphone wire get cut at its connector, it also broke the connector from the rear plastic housing of the machine.

It didn't seem like it hit the floor that hard to break the connector from the rear housing. It still works okay without the headphones, but there was no way I would get it near the water with a direct opening for water to get in through the rear housing. If the headphone wire was not broken, I would not have known the housing was broken, I would have used it in the surf, and destroyed the machine with water.

With the headphone wire coming straight out of the back of the heavy end of the machine, I see potential problem on all ATX's for headphone connector getting jammed in or snapped off from a side impact. That rear plastic housing is not very strong and that headphone fitting will snap or crack the plastic housing. You may not even know it is cracked or broken and get water in the machine.

Anyway, the machine is currently at Garrett, they will replace the coil, and rear housing cover under warranty. Thank You Garrett!!

Too bad Christmas shipping issues slowed down your repair time. UPS made a public apology to customers for NOT being able to get all their packages delivered on time.

Looks like it is not as well made as it looks in the pictures.
Hard luck but that must be some sort of record.

Self inflicted wound, yet being take care of. Bravo Garrett.

Good to know certain detector brands are being built and serviced in the USA. Still one of my top priorities when selecting a unit for purchase.

therover said:
Self inflicted wound, yet being take care of. Bravo Garrett.

Good to know certain detector brands are being built and serviced in the USA. Still one of my top priorities when selecting a unit for purchase.

Even though it was totally my fault that the connector hit the floor. I would expect a rugged machine would not have a vulnerable connection sticking out of a totally unbalanced machine when carrying it or working on it.
In hindsight, I wish Garrett would have recessed the headphone connection like on the AT Pro shown below. So from now on, I will have to baby it as not to bump the headphone jack, because it will crack the thin plastic rear housing cover that the connector is mounted to. My housing cover was only cracked by the headphone connector, not very noticeable, it was only when I unscrewed the headphone, is when the plastic totally let go from the housing.

I do appreciate that Garrett is taking care of this for only the cost of me shipping it to them.

Wow! Poor design on such an expensive unit! Good Luck with the repairs and awesome for Garrett!
RG

I had a problem with my ATX and have contacted Garrett. I was told they were going to get back to me. I'm not sure why the person I emailed couldn't give me an answer then, but maybe it had to do with the fact that I asked if they could either send me a replacement cover and screw cap for the headphone port if it was straightforward enough for me to replace, or if it's because I explained I wanted to have it repaired locally and not have to ship it out. The screw cap doesn't seem like a big deal to replace, but I'm not sure what's involved with having that cover on the back removed/replaced.

Here is a video I recorded showing the issue:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPT9JbuYhlA[/video]

bountyfisher said:
I had a problem with my ATX and have contacted Garrett. I was told they were going to get back to me. I'm not sure why the person I emailed couldn't give me an answer then, but maybe it had to do with the fact that I asked if they could either send me a replacement cover and screw cap for the headphone port if it was straightforward enough for me to replace, or if it's because I explained I wanted to have it repaired locally and not have to ship it out. The screw cap doesn't seem like a big deal to replace, but I'm not sure what's involved with having that cover on the back removed/replaced.

Hi bountyfisher,

I tried to have Garrett send me a new rear housing cover and I was going to install it myself. My thinking is that Garrett wanted to repair it because of poential warranty issues. They were willing to repair my ATX for no cost, so I thought it would be better just to send it back and let them repair it. That way, if there was any future water entry problems into the machine, they can't blame it on my repair.
That rear housing cover should have been made of aluminum designed with a recessed headphone threaded jack.
Good luck to the both of us.

SoCalBeachScanner said:
bountyfisher said:

Hi bountyfisher,

I tried to have Garrett send me a new rear housing cover and I was going to install it myself. My thinking is that Garrett wanted to repair it because of poential warranty issues. They were willing to repair my ATX for no cost, so I thought it would be better just to send it back and let them repair it. That way, if there was any future water entry problems into the machine, they can't blame it on my repair.
That rear housing cover should have been made of aluminum designed with a recessed headphone threaded jack.

The location of the headphone port is almost identical to the way it's designed for the Minelab CTX 3030. I haven't had any issues yet with my CTX, but another person I know has had a few headphone wires snap because of the tension it causes for the cord to flex so sharply from that port. The good thing on the CTX is that you could run it wireless, but only for land detecting.

I don't mind having it repaired by a service center, but I'm really starting to get fed up with the shipping costs. And it's a brand new unit. When I got my AT Pro, I had to have the water headphones replaced. The arm cuff. A 5x8 coil. A cracked screen, which luckily I was able to just send the console and coil rather than the whole unit. And now I'm currently dealing with an issue where I'm asking for replacements for the two shafts from my AT Pro (lower stem and middle joining shaft seized on me and wouldn't pull apart, so I had to leave it behind because I couldn't fit it in my luggage).

As much as Garrett has been helpful, the shipping costs have been adding-up, and I'm not too fond of seeing this trend now carrying-over with my ATX. There is a reseller about a half hour drive from where I live - hoping Garrett OK's me having it repaired through them, otherwise it's more shipping costs to have this problem fixed.

bountyfisher said:
SoCalBeachScanner said:
bountyfisher said:

Hi bountyfisher,

The location of the headphone port is almost identical to the way it's designed for the Minelab CTX 3030. I haven't had any issues yet with my CTX, but another person I know has had a few headphone wires snap because of the tension it causes for the cord to flex so sharply from that port. The good thing on the CTX is that you could run it wireless, but only for land detecting.

I don't mind having it repaired by a service center, but I'm really starting to get fed up with the shipping costs. And it's a brand new unit. When I got my AT Pro, I had to have the water headphones replaced. The arm cuff. A 5x8 coil. A cracked screen, which luckily I was able to just send the console and coil rather than the whole unit. And now I'm currently dealing with an issue where I'm asking for replacements for the two shafts from my AT Pro (lower stem and middle joining shaft seized on me and wouldn't pull apart, so I had to leave it behind because I couldn't fit it in my luggage).

As much as Garrett has been helpful, the shipping costs have been adding-up, and I'm not too fond of seeing this trend now carrying-over with my ATX. There is a reseller about a half hour drive from where I live - hoping Garrett OK's me having it repaired through them, otherwise it's more shipping costs to have this problem fixed.

Hi Again bountyfisher,

You can ship your ATX without the coil and the telescopic shaft, so that makes a smaller and lighter package to ship. Garrett is replacing my coil also, so I had to ship the whole unit. I never had any issues with my AT Pro, so I hope my ATX doesn't change all that :unsure: And your right, the shipping cost does add up.

If you bought this "brand new" from an authorized retail seller - AND YOU USED A CREDIT CARD - you have 60 days from the date that the charge appears on your CC statement to RETURN the DEFECTIVE item for a full refund or a replacement.

These items are not cars - we don't need to have to "repair" brand new equipment that is not perfect or that breaks immediately!

Don't stress over a repair - just return it and demand a brand new one - if the dealer won't oblige then contact your CC company and put in for a dispute based on defective goods. The return postage, unfortunately, you probably have to eat.

bountyfisher said:
I don't mind having it repaired by a service center, but I'm really starting to get fed up with the shipping costs. And it's a brand new unit.

SoCalBeachScanner said:
bountyfisher said:
SoCalBeachScanner said:
bountyfisher said:

Hi bountyfisher,

Hi Again bountyfisher,

You can ship your ATX without the coil and the telescopic shaft, so that makes a smaller and lighter package to ship. Garrett is replacing my coil also, so I had to ship the whole unit. I never had any issues with my AT Pro, so I hope my ATX doesn't change all that :unsure: And your right, the shipping cost does add up.

They have asked me to ship it to them to repair. I have asked if I could send it as you suggested and I'm waiting to hear back.

bountyfisher said:
No dice. Good news is that I have asked them to send it back to me with a coil cover and they agreed to do so.

Your not not getting any deal on the coil cover ... the coil covers were late in production at the time the ATX was released. Garrett will be sending everyone that purchased an ATX a coil cover. Or I should say a Catch Basin instead of a coil cover. It appears by the design of the coil cover, they just ram rod through something that appears to be a coil cover, when in actuality, it's more like a storage and travel cover.

The location of the headphone port is almost identical to the way it's designed for the Minelab CTX 3030. I haven't had any issues yet with my CTX, but another person I know has had a few headphone wires snap because of the tension it causes for the cord to flex so sharply from that port. The good thing on the CTX is that you could run it wireless, but only for land detecting.[/quote]

Hi bountyfisher,

The location of the headphone jack on the CTX3030 is not even in the same location as the ATX. The CTX3030 has a recessed headphone jack like pictured below. And the headphone jack is at the top of the control box, not at the bottom sticking out just waiting for an accident to happen.

You blokes have gotta learn how to look after your stuff way better than what you are doing now,
You cannot just keep on blaming the equipment design for breakages.
In over 52 years of metal detecting and having worked through approx 48+ metal detectors from the very ealiest to the very latest, I have not had a physical breakage in or on any of them, not even a headphone cable.
and that is detecting in rain, hail ice n snow, up mountains, down bloody mountains, in creeks, rivers the deserts, in mines, in caves, in bloody swamps,in the ocean on sand, down in rocky gorges, under waterfalls and even in bloody waterfalls, In paddocks while having ta run like hell ta get away from a crazy bull....and on one occasion, a swarm of bees.

Yeah, yeah , I know. I am a bloomin hero...........AHHHH Well, I will jus haff ta live with that.:ausflag::twodetecting::cheers:
Have a great New Year U.S.A.:ausflag:

SoCalBeachScanner said:
bountyfisher said:
No dice. Good news is that I have asked them to send it back to me with a coil cover and they agreed to do so.

Your not not getting any deal on the coil cover ... the coil covers were late in production at the time the ATX was released. Garrett will be sending everyone that purchased an ATX a coil cover. Or I should say a Catch Basin instead of a coil cover. It appears by the design of the coil cover, they just ram rod through something that appears to be a coil cover, when in actuality, it's more like a storage and travel cover.

Interesting. I was told they're sending them to the dealers, and then the dealers will send them to the customers at no charge, but I'm sure they aren't going to ship them for free. I just figured it would cut one step for me to just ship it with my unit when they return it from servicing, and Garrett agreed to pick up the tab to ship it back to me. I shipped it to them about an hour ago.

SoCalBeachScanner said:

SoCalBeachScanner said:
Hi bountyfisher,

The location of the headphone jack on the CTX3030 is not even in the same location as the ATX. The CTX3030 has a recessed headphone jack like pictured below. And the headphone jack is at the top of the control box, not at the bottom sticking out just waiting for an accident to happen.

Yeah I said it was almost identical - didn't know we'd be splitting hairs on something I was recalling by memory when I wrote it. The complaint was voiced by a fellow MD'er who has already been through two headphones. Whether it's the way the KOSS headphones are designed I don't know. I have the Gray Ghost water headphones and haven't had any issues.

OK, I have had my ATX a couple weeks now and have taken it out into the field twice. I have 5 days of detecting time on it now. I like it, but have had several issues.
The first issue was my fault, I removed the battery covers to swap out the batteries with the rechargeable ones. I tilted the unit to get the batteries to slide out and both sides shot out fast. I managed to grab one, the other dropped a foot or so onto the kitchen counter and shattered into 4 pieces. The battery holders are some of the thinnest plastic I have ever seen. Fortunately I have two sets of batteries. Just a word of caution to others, be careful removing the batteries.
Problem 2, my ATX fails to ground balance on a regular bases every few hours of use. This has happened around 6 times now and I am certain that my settings are correct. What happens is that after several hours of detecting I decide to re-ground balance the unit just to be sure I am not over ground balanced and losing sensitivity. The unit sometimes fails to ground balance no matter how many times I raise and lower it. Retuning does no good. And yes I have double checked that I was in the motion mode. It is so noisy when not balanced that I cannot detect with it. Sometimes it will finally ground balance if I repeat the balance procedure 10 or more times. Other times I have had to shut it off and restart it and it usually works ok after that. If this continues to be a problem I may have to return it. Anyone else out there having this problem?
Problem 3, the telescoping coil poles sometimes will not retract fully back into the unit. The largest pole gets stuck on the last 6" and then the unit will not fit back into the case. I suspect it is jamming against the housing. I have managed both times to get it retracted by placing a LOT of force onto it and twisting at the same time, but I was concerned I was putting so much force on it that the housing or pole my break.
That is it. Glad to see this thread on here as there may be problems common to other units that need attention......jim