Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Best Day Ever....And it was with Morgan Freeman!

MT1862

On Memorial Day, 1989, the 19 African-American Soldiers that I discovered on Folly Beach, S.C. two years earlier, were laid to rest at the Beaufort National Cemetery in Beaufort S.C. It is a miracle that this tape exists, and that I do as well. In 1989, I was diagnosed with a life threatening illness. I had just endured three major surgeries in the two months before the re-burial. On the day of the re-burial, I checked myself out of the Duke Medical University, and attended this event with my family. My parents drove me to Beaufort, and to experience the event of a lifetime. My father had borrowed a VHS Video Camera, and he with no previous experience in using one, recorded this rare recording of one of the most historic moments in the history of our Country.
Thousands attended this, including then Governor of Massachusetts Michael Dukakis, and the cast from the movie "Glory." The movie was just wrapping up filming in the area, and cast member Morgan Freeman, Producer Freddie Fields, along with the rest of the cast were in attendance.
Personally, for me, it was like living a dream. The absolute brilliance of the Military bearing of this event was awe inspiring. I was overwhelmed by the hundreds of people, who wanted to thank me and shake my hand, and I even received my fare share of hugs and kisses of gratitude that day. All for doing what I love and still love to this day, history.
Now, here in the summer of 2012, you can see what took place those twenty-three years ago. A glimpse into a day, that was as historic, as it was beautiful. The pageantry along with the muffled drum beats, the fife playing, the twenty-one gun salute, and the playing of Taps for men who so long ago gave the last full measure.
For me, that day is a part of me that will never die. And in the time since this day of days, my Mother and Father who were with me on this special day, are too buried in this same Cemetery near where the 55Th Massachusetts were lain to rest.
They are in excellent company there. Under the Spanish moss, oaks and palmettos. Where heroes spend eternity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWNgNEzz1JM&feature=plcp
I dedicate this film to my new Grand Child, Mora. May she one day see this, and be reminded of not only what he grandfather contributed to history, but to also understand the richness of the history of her Country, that is also a part of her.

Thanks for sharing that historical footage with us.

Thank You for sharing such a great moment with us.

.... They are in excellent company there. Under the Spanish moss, oaks and palmettos. Where heroes spend eternity.

:thumbup:

Thanks for sharing that special day with us. Those were extremely brave soldiers. cch

Amazing piece of history, thanks for sharing.