Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My best find

2 Much Trash

I found this plate about 15 or 20 years ago just outside Fredericksburg, Va. For all those years I wondered who I. D. Lyon was. Just last year after much research I finally did. I know it's just a plate but it is my most treasured relic.

Ira D. Lyon, born 1830 Naples, New York. Married to Martha Wilson. Enlisted Dec. 27, 1861 at age 31 at Canandaigua, N. y. Mustered in as private, Co. H, 4th New York Heavy Artillery, Dec. 27, 1861 to serve 3 years
Captured at Battle of Reams Station during the siege of Petersburg August 25, 1864. Sent to Libby Prison in Richmond. Exchanged Feb. 22, 1865 and then sent to United States General Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland where in died of disease caused by starvation. I think a book could be written or movie could be made from the story of each man who fought this war, North and South.
Thanks for looking,
Willie

That is a dandy and to find out who wore it is priceless in my books. Congratulations on the great find.

n/t

I would not say "just a plate". I have yet to dig one, but I'm still looking to and it will not be just a plate. GREAT find and research. He died not to far from where I live now in Baltimore. Thanks for sharing
JOE in MD

Thanks Joe, The hospital was in Patterson Park. I wonder whats at that hospital site now
Willie

Thanks Richard, My post was in response to your post "ya'll interested in posting your favorite relic" thanks for that. I hope there's a bunch more from other guys. I love seeing what other folks have found and are still diggin'
Be Good,
Willie
Fisher 1266, Tek G2, 6 grandkids and a bunch of liver spots:surrender:

That a very cool find & story

Over the years I have recovered a number of plates and buckles. None of them compare to your find. To find a plate or buckle with a name carved in it and then be able to trace it to a soldier in in Civil War is remarkable. I wish we had a "Banner Fine" forum here, for your find would certainly be there. TomB

Hi I would think it would be a GREATER FIND if you could take the time to track down his family of today. What would be the possibility of he having a great grandson that would be interested in having or holding his gran father's breast plate. They may not be interested but it would make for some interesting research. This is no difference of finding and returning rings found at parks and the beach, but this find is really significant to the family. I'm sure it would really make a human interest story in the papers besides make a dent in how we detectorist are so bad and money hungry to turn our finds into cash. This was just a thought.