Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My best unbendable digging tool on the cheap

cheesehead2

Been bending digging tools quite a bit when the going gets tough. I have two pictured alongside the one I made that are now shot as well. Both these I bought new. The cheaper one with the black electrical tape actually did hold up for some time but like most of them, once it starts bending that's it..
I have been batting around the idea of buying something like an old U.S. Military bayonet, Something like what Magic has talked about on this site but haven't found the right price or if they may be quite thick enough.
I then started pondering what would be a good shovel or material to make one.
The one you will see with the Walnut wood handle bolted to the solid shaft of the stock is what I came up with.( Single one in two of the pics) Crude per say but I cannot get it to bend and will plow through gravel and crud with ease, plus you could pound on it if you had to. It is Still is fairly light and is the most awesome digging tool I have used. All it is made of is
#1: A 12 inch piece of spring steel leaf spring from a truck that I cut off with my Oxy/LP torch.
#2: Two 1/4 20 1.5 inch bolts and two thinner strips of walnut wood.
Drilled and bolted it together then ground everything down to somewhat spec. with a 6 inch grinder.
I think I am going to make a few more to perfect it and will never buy another digging tool again.
Who knew Chevy iron from a leaf spring off a 1/2 ton 70's truck would make a such good coinshooters shovel.

Is that a Minelab or a Kellyco type Lesche china copy.

It is not a Lesche thats for sure. My Lesche tools have survived any digging and i dont think it will ever bend.

I know what you are talking about. It seems if you get one made from steel and is kinda soft, it will bend eventually. The ones that are hardened like stainless steel will break.
I have been through three bayonets in the past year. I am in the process of looking into different items to dig with now. I have ordered alot of different knives and I am testing them as I write this. I have found one called the bushman that I think is going to be a great one. It is cold rolled steel and the handle is hollow so you could add something if you wanted. I get all my stuff at Bud k.
Just type it in google and you will find it. Their stuff is really cheap in price.

Aurium said:
Wow..you're awfully hard on those tools. What type of soil you digging..granite?

Most of my holes are in the 8 to 12 inch range. I cut a horseshoe shape then stick my knife in one side and pry up. (thats where the stress is.)
I have tried diggers and I just dont like them. To me, it makes the plug look sloppy because or the digger being rounded shape and usually not very sharp. (like a knife)
With a knife, you can get a clean precision cut and put the plug back and I guarantee that no one can ever tell you were there.

cheesehead2,
I really like your idea! Let me know how it holds up for you. Looks like it would last a while. I use foam to wrap around my handles and them wrap them in black tape. Makes it a little easier on the hands.

GOOGLE: hori hori japanese garden knife

Jerry

I've been using an A.M Leonard made in Italy digging tool, for the last 3 years and I can only say: this thing is Very Very good!

21WM45HTC5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

bfodnes said:
Is that a Minelab or a Kellyco type Lesche china copy.

It is not a Lesche thats for sure. My Lesche tools have survived any digging and i dont think it will ever bend.

IT came from kellyco. It's not a Lesche. So far the leaf spring is doing awesome.