Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Corvette

Royal

This is a story I have told before but since I can not find it, I will do it again. If it doesn't resemble the first time, tough as I am old and suffer from "CRS" :)

After I got out of the Marines in 1962, I went to work for GM in Pontiac Michigan. I was a young punk with all the answers but didn't have a clue to the questions.

I was getting a decent paycheck and like a wise young man, worried about my future, I bought a 58 Corvette! That thing was a beauty! White, fuel injected four on the floor convertible. I needed that thing like a possum needs a purse but I figured it was to be a real chick magnet. Course the fact that I was a cocky know-it-all helped offset the benefits of the Corvette.

I would tool around in that bad boy and really make a pain in the arse out of myself. Local cops watched me like a hawk. I would go out on Woodward, main road between Detroit and Pontiac, and drag race every time I could scrape up enough money for a tank of gas. I beat that poor thing to death!

There was a drive-in restaurant in our little town, outside of Pontiac. It was an A&W Root beer stand. It had a large parking lot and as you pulled into it, the stand was on your right and directly ahead of you, about a hundred feet or so and about 5 feet lower than the road, was an old roller rink. The rink had long closed and was, at the time of this story, used for boat storage. The thing was full of boats, which we could not see, but there was a row of boats about 10 of them, on trailers, looking right at you, with trailer toungs facing the lot. This way they could just back up to them and tow them off when they wanted.

My greatest day of fame  happened in this lot.

I was in the evening on the Fourth of July, 1962. I sure remember that day!

This town I lived in, Keego Harbor Michigan, was a resort town and situated on Cass Lake, the largest lake in our county. There are numerous beaches on that lake, the largest of which is at Dodge Park. This is the park that I had my best day of detecting on, many years later.

The day had been just beautiful and the evening was warm. I was out tooling around in my Vette, just a lookin

have had 50 years of laughs since :D

Man o man; how can this place still be here and the master storyteller still be engaged in the art telling some of the finest storytelling I have ever heard?

I hate that you messed up ur toy, but I'm sure you were back in action.

I just came back to collect one of my stories I wrote here a few years ago. Good to see you still contributing, Royal! My writing mainly confined to songs nowadays, accompanied by the ole' Martin. Sweet music and adequate lyrics,hopefully!

Keep on keeping on, my friend.

Arkie John

I rarely come here but thought I would post one of the old ones. I ran across your phone number the other day, in fact I butt called you by accident. How is Linda doing?

Great Story as usual! It is sad to see this site dieting out....
Keep in touch!
Ron J

Been bumping right along. Divorced by Queen No 2 over four years ago; married my high school sweetie 9 months ago.

Playing the hell out of the Martin -- even for money sometimes.

The well is still dry concerning material for stories but have written about 40 songs in the time I've been away. So my writing is directed in that direction for some reason. Life is back to normal mostly, thank the good Lord; but it was a hell of a trip. I've got journals but it's too depressing and life is just too short for that mess.

I hope you are doing well. I'll be stopping in from time to time to share some story lyrics or whatever. Hope you and yours are well

Drop me a PM sometime and bring me up to speed (that goes for all you old timers). Take care. aj