Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Depth Experience with the 9 inch coil

pulltabMiner

So after a solid year of use, I can hit a silver dime easily (most of the time) and recognizably (meaning, I can tell it's not iron) up to 7 inches of depth. At around 7 inches, the tone is solid and it repeats even if the target id is off or not there.

Past 7 inches, the tone may repeat or it may not. I've had a few silver dimes that deep which gave me a nice solid signal that repeated from every angle although the sound was very dim. I hunt with the audio response set at 1.

Once or twice, I pulled coins from 9 inches but the tone at that point was iron wrap-around and I wasn't sure at all that I was looking at a coin. I pulled a Walker from 10 inches with a repeatable, solid, dim signal.

I use Deus Fast at 12KHz, manual GB, Iron volume at 1 (i can still hear the iron but muffled), with a recovery speed of 2, sometimes 3 if I deem it necessary. Medium speed swing. 5 tones.

My Kansas soil is somewhere between benign and devil with iron and foil infestation being the biggest problems I face in my city parks.

Is anyone getting more depth out of their 9 inch coils?

When it comes to raw depth with the stock 9" coil on the Deus, no one is claiming that the Deus is the deepest detector out there. It gets above average depth but when you compare an 11" or 12" coil to a 9" coil, simple logic says bigger wins out on just the overall depth goes.

But remember, sensitivity to small items and target seperation often makes the difference in most sites anymore. My daughter found a 14KT ear ring back this past week on the beach and we had a heck of a time finding it . . . another guy swinging a multi-frequency unit came by and after talking, tried the target and got no response even with the back touching the coil . . . . so a number of factors come into play.

As far as getting the most depth on your Deus, a few suggestions . . . . .

1) Keep the Recovery Speed as low as possible . . . . there is a noticeable loss of depth as the level is increased. Sometimes a slightly slower sweep will give you the same benefit as a higher Reactivity setting without the loss of detection depth

2) TX Power = 3 . . . slight increase in depth if conditions allow

3) For silver (and copper) coins, try dropping to 8 kHz as you get a tad more depth and it will hit a bit better on these targets

4) Tones . . . for some reason, 5 tones tends to have issues if you have the breakpoints set at just the wrong spot - if the targets hits at or around the breakpoint, you can get a confusing response and if there is a notch, you may lose the target

Let us know if these suggestions make a difference

Andy

That brings up a good question ( if you don't mind me butting in).... I am a newbie to the Deus, not to MDing, and am curious as to when you say "breakpoints" on 5 tone. What are the best breakpoints? How would you set up a 5 tone for coins and general hunting at parks? How about at my farm ( pasture and woods)?
Do you have any suggestions? I need to keep in mind for highly mineralized soil here in Western NC/ E.TN/SW VA. I do know to keep TX on 1.
Andy thanks for all of these remarkable forum posts-very informative.