Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My finds from yesterday

HotTexas

Hunted a ball park yesterday for about 30 min. thats all I could stand in my eyers, I like to hunt for coins and I'm now very disappointed in the ace 350, I spent my Christmas money, broke my bank and two years of clads to buy it, and wish I could have my hard earned money back, If I caused anyone to buy the Ace 350 for coin hunting, I apologize,

I don't like to post things like this and was going to post yesterday after I cooled down a bit, then said to my self, self why don't you sleep on it tonight, self said ok, so self did and got up this morning still TEED :veryangry:

Garrett is only 120 miles from my house and I really wanted to support them. I had owned the 1350 and was a very good detector but could not swing very long because it was so heavy.

as you can see I'm also at the age that I"m not afraid to say what I think. But one thing I always do is tell the truth and not hide it.

Thanks for all the help guys

HH to ALL

Why are you disappointed?? I found mine to be very nice for coin hunting!! And it got me 3 gold rings in the first two outings. Is it the bottlecaps that gets to you? Try this: When you get a belltone for a dime/quarter, switch to Zero Disc and you will hear a low tone with the belltone, sure sign it's a bottlecap. Also, you might pick up a 6 x 9 or a sniper coil for it and you won't even hear those bottlecaps!! Getting used to a DD coil is no easy thing, but it will get you the deeper goodies!!

When I started out sometimes it would be a big day when I found fifty or sixty cents worth of coins along with a lot of junk. As I learned more about the detector, how and where to hunt my finds improved greatly. Now it is common to find ten to fifteen dollars in a day and well over twenty happens once in a while along with lots of rings and such. Notice that I made no mention of detector type. What I have done could have been done with any entry level detector. Your 350 is more than capable but you need to spend the time to learn it.

Good Luck

Jerry

HWen i stared using the ACE250 ( yes the ACE)
it took me 2 weeks before i found anything and THAT was
a pice of barbed wire..But once i found the 1st coin it
all made sense ..im not even close to an expert and
i dont own an ATPRO but i know it takes time
keep at it and good luck

Good Luck

Ron

Rangers Lead The Way :usaflag::usaa:

Yes it's the bottle caps, I found a silver half dollar the first time out with mine, could not be more happy, I have switch to Zero Disc and CAN NOT hear any low tone with the high over bottle caps It's all nice clear high tone no mater what mode I'm hunting in. it locks on them just like coins and reads coins like dime and does not bounce around.

It sounds like your telling me you will hear a low tone high tone then low tone is this right?

I just went outside with 10 bottle caps, A dime and penny, (in the zero mode) I can hear no different in the tones what so ever, no low tone at all over the bottle caps or coins, Alum. caps are the same way, I tried lowering the coil and picking the coil up as much as 12 in. Is there something wrong with mine?

Is yours a low tone like when it hit's iron? is it loud or soft?

a 6 x 9 or a sniper coil will eliminate bottle caps? How?

Thanks for all your help BCD, I sure need it.

Maybe you should start out in some less trashy areas. You could also try notching out everything except penny and above and just concentrate on those type signals until you learn it better. On the omega I use when I suspect the target is a bottle cap I will slowly raise the coil as I sweep back and forth over the target and the target id would start dropping or fade out pretty quickly. A good target should be repeatable and the ID not vary much if its not too deep. I rarely get fooled by them anymore unless they are real deep.

Jerry, Thanks, I have hunted for over 40 years and I really couldn't tell you how many detectors I have had, but more than 15, this is the only one that I have ever had problems with.

I would love to keep it BUT, BUT, BUT you know how it goes. :| if I can get it to work I will keep it. but right now NO fear in me buy a AT Pro after this. it will not happen.

You said you have owned a 1350. Then you had the same problem with bottle caps with it too?
I have used both the ace 250 and 1350 and bottle caps can be an issue.
The AT Pro does a good job of identifying bottle caps, but like any detector, it takes some time to understand it.
A small coil will cut down the noise in trashy sites. When you use a small coil go SLOW.
The most important thing to remember is that metal detecting is a hobby, so take your time and learn it.

good luck on what ever you decide and HH

oak :detecting:

It is very obvious from your finds that the place has been hunted out. So what? Just move on to another location. That's the ups and downs of metal detecting. Last Sunday I hunted and got nothing, zero, nada....not even one bloody cent.:rage: Did I make a big deal? Heck no! And I have been skunked before too. Either get over it and try another spot(s), or read some good books about metal detecting to increase your finds. If you expect to come home finding scores of coins and gold rings, then you have read too much into those infomercials. All of us have crummy hunts, but you don't know about them, because no one else complains about them. It's not the detector....it's you. Change your attitude or change hobbies, whatever you chose.

John

You have never been sooooo wrong John, I don't care if it's been hunted out or not, I don't care if I don't find a damm thing. and I know all about crummy hunts. I will agree it's me, I got a new detector and need some help with it, I thought that's what this forum was all about, but thanks to BCD he has lead me on to what was wrong, No help from you.and I will NOT change hobbies.

HH John Here I come :detecting:

It's the DD coils, stock on the 350, that likes the bottlecaps, not the 350. The 6 x 9 and Sniper coils are not DD's. Any machine rigged with a DD will hit those caps as if they were high conductivity coins. To hear that low iron tone on them you need to twitch that coil over the target, but not in pinpoint. Twitching is a rapid back and forth over the target, just moving a couple of inches either way. You'll hear that slight low tone on either side of the target thru your 'phones if it's a bottlecap, most times anyways. If you're not wearing 'phones, you won't hear it.

HotTexas, I hope you don't give up on the Ace350 yet.I just got mine Monday and was able to take it out for 2hours. I was not real impressed but at the same time I know that big coil is goin' to take some getting used to. I plan on putting alot of hours on the detector before I'm gonna make a call. I have the 6x9 and the sniper coil I'll try both of those on it in many different areas. The area I went to Monday was very trashy,and it was in the mid thirty's temp wise. alot of guys don't have a problem hunting in colder temps ( John of Edmonton-4billion degrees below zero) but that is not for me. even in the mid thirty's my hands/ fingers were numb and I couldn't feel them. so I was impatient and did not take the time to play around with the detector like I should have, I did not like the way aluminum cans consistently gave me a solid bell tone no matter what mode I was in,but it didn't take long to size the targets and was able to avoid the big aluminum (mostly cans). The detector did make alot of noise,even when I messed with the sensitivity. But like I said it was a very trashy area. I tried the jewelry mode for awhile and then the coins mode,custom with every thing but Penny's and up. I tried raising and lowering the sensitivity in these modes. Things mellowed out when I had all but Penny's and up, notched out. But it still gave very clear and consistent bell tone when I hit aluminum of any size. I found lots of trash,1 quarter,1 dime,2 Penny's, and one freedom token. because I don't know the Ace350 very well I don't know if that was good or not . I have to assume that's all the area I searched had to offer. I could have taken my Ace 250 over the same area and gotten the same results. I just don't know,and won't know till I get some hours on the 350. I am neither elated or disappointed at this point. HotTexas I know I rambled on a bit here but I would really like to see you give it a little more time. take it to a few different areas and get some hours on it. Keep posting your results and opinions on the 350 and I will do the same. The only problem is my posts will be few and far between because of central Ohio's weather at this time of year. What ever you decide my friend, best of luck to you. :detecting:

Thank you blade, that was very nice, Please let me know how the 6x9 sniper coil works when you get a chance to use it :super:

Great:thumbup: You came to the right place. After reading your post, I was left with the feeling that you were just plain PO'd, wanted to give up and move on. Thanks for clarifying yourself. As mmentioned, DD's love bottle caps.....they sound like good coins. Here's one trick called the "STOMPN METHOD" to help. Often times deep bottle caps will sound like good targets. So what to do? Stomp on the ground above the target and break the halo or rust which has developed around the bottle cap. If after stomping on the ground the tone changes to iron, it's junk. If it continues to sound like a good coin, dig it. The only other suggestion I can make is to get a different coil, as someone else mentioned. I hope you get some good ideas from this forum and end up with some good results.

"HH John Here I come:detecting:" .....Great attitude! :)