Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My finds today plus gold ring (cheapo)...have question.

Happa54

Hello all;

I went out in the blazing heat today.

Went through 8 bottles of water and gatorade.

Hunted in the shade in small areas.

Got 4 nice wheats.... '40, '44, '45, '53 and a 14k yellow gold ring. My ATP partner calls it the "pimp" ring.

My question is with the ring. I found the exact one on a google search.

The tone was zinc and the TID was 32 (approx 5" in the ground).

I know nothing about jewelry/metals so here is my question.

Should this have had a mid tone instead of high tone, because there is gold in it?

I just did an airtest and it comes up a 37 and the tone is higher than when I first dug it (I don't have confidence in airtests).

Can someone educate me on this?

Thank you

Nice finds! The ring has a dull patina that I don't think you'll find on a gold ring unfortunately but you might want to get yourself an acid test kit of Ebay for future finds. Sometimes, people have been surprised by finds that don't look like gold but turn out to be low K gold from Asia/middle East and elsewhere. Like HHH asked, are there any markings?

I'll take your advice and get the gold test kit for future use.

A couple of advertisers say its 14k gold plated, but I wouldn't know the difference.

It sure is heavy though unlike a silver ring.

Thanks for your input.

Maybe you can do a specific gravity test? Do a search on the net for some easy methods. Without a stone, you should be able to get a close guess on the purity with that measurement.

Nice ring I would say it is plated or filled. But good job finding it!!

Last year I had found a gold ring that hang up 30 on my safari, if was marked 14kf it was Alloyed (gold silver mix) with silver had an x-ray test on it at a coin shop.