Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first day with the 11 x 13.

Geologyhound

My family got me the 11 x 13 coil as a joint birthday/Christmas gift. Today was the first chance I’ve had to get out and use it. I started at a local beach just to experiment with the pinpointing in an easy to dig environment. I have heard the pinpointing on the 11 x 13 can be a little less precise. I didn’t find much at the beach other than a handful of lead weights, a few modern dimes, and a number of zinc pennies. But at least I was finding targets.

I then moved on to an old school. This was pretty densely overgrown with no trace of the original structure, and I spent about half the time extricating myself from thorn bushes. However, my very first target after leaving the road was a clean signal in the copper penny range. Sure enough, about 4 inches down was a 1946D. I had had some doubts that I would find much here given the overgrowth. But, this was a proof of concept for me. About 15 minutes later I had another clean tone and about 3 inches down my pinpointer indicated the target was in a wad of clay I had a loosened. I separated the wad, and saw a shiny silver edge - an 1897 Barber dime! The only 1800s coins I have found outside of seeded hunts have been pennies. So this is my oldest dime!

I also found the face plate for an Ingraham Biltmore luminous watch. I’m wondering if that’s radium…. In addition, I found the back plate for a Gruen Swiss watch.

I’m not sure what the silvery “clip” like thing is. I’m thinking it did not used to be bent over like that. I was wondering if the other silvery item was an earring. My wife doesn’t think so. My son is wondering if it is the endcap for a pocket knife. There’s no hallmark on it, and it is lightweight, so I’m thinking it’s aluminum.

in hindsight I probably should’ve used the 9 inch coil with all the underbrush. But all in all, I’d say it was a good first day for my 11 x 13!

Attachments

• 0164713D-2511-435E-B070-D9461DDDFD7B.jpeg
    0164713D-2511-435E-B070-D9461DDDFD7B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 89
  • E582EB78-B6DD-48C0-89E4-C4F682BBA8E5.jpeg
    E582EB78-B6DD-48C0-89E4-C4F682BBA8E5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
  • D95D6268-5589-4714-BB36-19243BDEB9AA.jpeg
    D95D6268-5589-4714-BB36-19243BDEB9AA.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 84
  • 9601A6D5-4DED-4B32-B0AC-94527AA6C165.jpeg
    9601A6D5-4DED-4B32-B0AC-94527AA6C165.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 89
I had always wondered about that coil, had wished they would have mounted the shaft closer to the center. Heard that some consider it nose heavy, or just heavy, but on the other hand, I've seen some spectacular finds made with it.
Your dime proves that point. Nice find. There's definitely a reason why people use them, even though I usually prefer a 9" coil, except when on the beach.

Proof of concept is right…you CAN hunt overgrowth with a big coil!😃 And…you hadn’t found everything in there yet! I’m getting another this winter, thought my first was a bit heavy so I traded for the 11x11”. All 3 coils work really well, but the biggest goes the deepest and “deep” is something I want!
Very good Hound!

Proof of concept is right…you CAN hunt overgrowth with a big coil!😃 And…you hadn’t found everything in there yet! I’m getting another this winter, thought my first was a bit heavy so I traded for the 11x11”. All 3 coils work really well, but the biggest goes the deepest and “deep” is something I want!
Very good Hound!
Next thing I will have to invest in will be a root cutting spade. Digging around roots with a hand trowel takes time - especially if you are trying to go deep!

My family got me the 11 x 13 coil as a joint birthday/Christmas gift. Today was the first chance I’ve had to get out and use it. I started at a local beach just to experiment with the pinpointing in an easy to dig environment. I have heard the pinpointing on the 11 x 13 can be a little less precise. I didn’t find much at the beach other than a handful of lead weights, a few modern dimes, and a number of zinc pennies. But at least I was finding targets.

I then moved on to an old school. This was pretty densely overgrown with no trace of the original structure, and I spent about half the time extricating myself from thorn bushes. However, my very first target after leaving the road was a clean signal in the copper penny range. Sure enough, about 4 inches down was a 1946D. I had had some doubts that I would find much here given the overgrowth. But, this was a proof of concept for me. About 15 minutes later I had another clean tone and about 3 inches down my pinpointer indicated the target was in a wad of clay I had a loosened. I separated the wad, and saw a shiny silver edge - an 1897 Barber dime! The only 1800s coins I have found outside of seeded hunts have been pennies. So this is my oldest dime!

I also found the face plate for an Ingraham Biltmore luminous watch. I’m wondering if that’s radium…. In addition, I found the back plate for a Gruen Swiss watch.

I’m not sure what the silvery “clip” like thing is. I’m thinking it did not used to be bent over like that. I was wondering if the other silvery item was an earring. My wife doesn’t think so. My son is wondering if it is the endcap for a pocket knife. There’s no hallmark on it, and it is lightweight, so I’m thinking it’s aluminum.

in hindsight I probably should’ve used the 9 inch coil with all the underbrush. But all in all, I’d say it was a good first day for my 11x13
Nice finds!
Very good Hound!
They make a bracket to move the mounting point back for the 11 x13 on ebay

in hindsight I probably should’ve used the 9 inch coil with all the underbrush. But all in all, I’d say it was a good first day for my 11 x 13!
Nice finds! I have one ordered up from Richard @ Backwoods. Hope to get it soon and see how it does in a beat up spot. Good luck hunting.

Nice finds!

They make a bracket to move the mounting point back for the 11 x13 on ebay
I am a bit torn. I understand the balance may be better with a centralizer, but I have been swinging a White’s Spectrum XLT for a long time. So, having the coil mount near the rear is second nature for me. I did feel the 11x13 in my arm after a while, but not as much as the XLT. The 9” is easy to swing all day. I may need to work my way up with the 11x13…😏

Next thing I will have to invest in will be a root cutting spade. Digging around roots with a hand trowel takes time - especially if you are trying to go deep!

I've been using the Lesche Piranha for the last 5 years and is excellent for digging deep amongst roots, at least for me. Good luck hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_20230406_124549702~2.jpg
    IMG_20230406_124549702~2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20231202_091107775.jpg
    IMG_20231202_091107775.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20230406_122056865.jpg
    IMG_20230406_122056865.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 57
Same site, same coil, different day - a taco’d key, chain and fob. The fob reads New entrance to Mammoth Cave, KY. Frozen Niagara. The Frozen Niagara entrance was discovered in 1921. So, if the entrance is “new”, then the fob should date to the 1920s, but no idea when it was lost after that.

Attachments

• B65CA39E-28EE-49FA-A568-A20D1EC221B9.jpeg
    B65CA39E-28EE-49FA-A568-A20D1EC221B9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36