Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first ever brass today.

FB49

The weather has warmed up to 46 today so I did a little dirt surfing at my favorite old farmhouse site. The 3rd hole provided my first ever brass piece. It looks to be an old thermometer and has stamped writing on it that includes temperatures for: Freezing (32 degrees), Churning (62 degrees), For Cheese (88 degrees), Scalding (150 degrees) and Water Boils (214 degrees). The only other markings I can find are the words: SELECTED along the side of the face and an arched FAHRENHEIT just below the hole at the top. It's about 8 inches long and 1 3/8 inches wide. I carefully searched the hole but could not find the missing glass. Has anyone seen one of these before? I'm thinking maybe from the 20s or 30s?

Attachments

• IMG_4350.JPG
    IMG_4350.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4352.JPG
    IMG_4352.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4353.JPG
    IMG_4353.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4354.JPG
    IMG_4354.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_4355.JPG
    IMG_4355.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 131
Looks pretty old!
I found an incubator thermometer, or what was left of it a few years ago around an old house site.... just guessing I would suspect both could date back from the late 1800’s- very early 1900’s.
Yours is very interesting how it is marked for different uses.
DDE5AF5E-BD9C-4CC3-9C1D-B6B1263442D3.jpeg

The farmhouse was built in 1889 (by the first Mayor of our town) and I know he ran a dairy herd for several years so perhaps his family sold butter and cheese.

FB, I think you answered your own question!!!