Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first find.

Dpkeefe11

hello friends. The post I made yesterday was my first, but I didn't find it. I was looking for a learning metal detector and someone else had that for sale. I was curious about it.

Yesterday I went around my back yard, learning how to separate the sound of nails. My dad uses brass nails a lot (sigh)

So after I spent aboit an hour and a half trying to learn to use it. I took a break for a while.

My friend will came over and saw the new metal detector (and the precision pinpoint whatevrr it came with) and said he wanted to "play with it"

I said no we won't play with it... and that I barely know how to use it but we could take the manual and stuff and go over some spots while I try to learn how to use "tone" mode.

I'm still getting the hang of the different sounds and what not. I'm hoping to get pretty good with a tracker IV before possibly upgrading, if an upgrade will really help me with detecting.

Our truly first find was a little peice of copper. From a sheet or pipe. I was more excited than I should have been. I was glad it seemed to be working.

We found another spot, with a rock that made the pinpointer buzz. My friend will is ridiculous and making me a bit, I don't know, urked... he is all excited for no reason that he found a peice of a meteor... yes its tiny and much different from the post I happened to post yesterday before this happened. I'm willing to bet an arm that its not a meteorite at all.

But I found a penny in the same little hole! That was exciting for me. My first coin. It wasn't a wheat penny. I can't see how old it is because its one with the rocks and dirt. Maybe I'll clean it eventually.

BUT our last find for the night. Got a signal in a spot and started to dig. A few inches deep and I like to sxan over the dirt I pulled out and if it beeps hit it with the precision.

I stuck the precision thing in the hole and poked around but no buzzy.

Dig some more.

Now the spot is in some loose dirt I dug up.

Hit it with the pin point again and BUZZZZZ

Sift the dirt with my hand and my heart dropped, I had a gold colored coin shaped object in my hand.

Within seconds I could tell that I was looking at some sort of an army pin, and quickly my heart went back into place realizing it wasn't gold.

Excited anyway I tried to find as much as I could out aboit the item.

Its the 181st infantry.

Its a type 2 or a type 3 collar pin.

Its from approximately 1920 to 1943 based on what I've read.

Out of pure guess I estimate it to be worth $15 to $50 dollars.

Thoughts? Anyone know more about these? Thanks! Dan

Attachments

• 20200809_213710.jpg
    20200809_213710.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110