Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first finds with my new F75

Steve in PA

My new F75 arrived on Thursday last week. Spent about a half an hour playing with it in the yard Saturday, then took it on it's first test Sunday. We went to a well pounded colonial site that had been recently plowed and spent about 3 hours there. I managed a button, a musketball, a well worn King George II farthing (1740 something) and a wheatie. Compared to the small flat button and 3 small musketballs my buddy found with his DFX that he has been using for years, I guess I didn't do too bad for the first time out, but I can see I have a long way to go before I am comfortable.

I had some trouble pinpointing and also with signals that sounded good in one direction but not in another direction. I was using 2 tones, DE Mode, Sensitivity as high as 98, Discrimination I varied from 6 to 10. I felt the machine ran quiet without the chatter and interference I have been hearing about.

Please forgive me if I am stating the obvious.
I am relatively new to this machine so take this with a grain of salt. I took my F75 to a local park yesterday to gain more experience in a high trash environment. I hit the dirt around picnic tables for a while and then went into the mulch just clad shooting and getting a feel for the thing. I ran the discrimination from 6 to 50 just putzing around and noticed a couple of things.

If a small object that is being rejected is partially masking a good target you will get a one way signal. The recovery speed on the F75 , as you probably already know, is incredible. However, if only half of the good target is exposed then the detector sounds off on the first thing it encounters. (One way signal.) I dug a few clad coins that were partially under trash targets. The down side to digging one way signals is that sometimes trash will break through the discrimination just enough to give a one way signal. (I dug some junk yesterday too.)

As far as pinpointing goes I have used two methods with good success. The first one is mentioned in the manual. Rough in the location of the target by sweeping, pull the trigger and pinpoint as close as possible and then move the coil slightly off center of the target and release and pull the trigger again.
The second method is the same as the first except I raise the coil slightly rather than moving it to the side.

After employing one of these methods,while still holding the trigger back, center the coil over the target so that you are getting the strongest highest pitch signal possible then move the coil forward (away from you) until the signal disappears. Then, slowly pull it back toward you. When the signal re-appears, the target is directly beneath the rod mount tabs on the coil.

The result is the same with both methods, but the second works better if you are trying to differentiate between two targets that are extremely close together.

Again, these are just my personal observations. If anyone has a better explanation or method of doing this please let me know.

HH

I think I need to get some yard/park work in, clad shooting if you will, just to perfect my technique on simple targets before I get onto some of my more complicated relic sites. I will try your pinpoint method.

Good Luck and let me know how it works for you.